Tutorial Discussion

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to the Tutorial Discussion thread.

In this thread you may discuss any tutorial already submitted or you may request a tutorial to be written.
Or, if need be, ask any questions on any tutorials or suggestions to the forum.

Anything goes in here, just remember that this discussion must always be about tutorials only. Nothing else.
Just remember to link to the tutorial you may have a question on so we know which one you are talking about.

#2 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

um... just a question...

when i was writing the tutorial I started on... I sorta forgot where I left off.

so is there any way you guys could set up a "tutorial preview" thread, with each single-post tutorial in it, so those of us writing one can keep track of our progress?

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

That's why I save a copy of all of the stuff I write on the computer while I write it. Or, PM yourself a copy.

Ctrl+A is your friend.

#4 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

I didn't think i would have to type that much ^^
so i didnt save it to my computer...

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

I just PMd you the tutorial.

No need to reply. icon_razz.gif

#6 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

Ah, here we go... I was looking for my alternate bridge trick to help around here. (A vast number of errors in it...wow, some of us have come a long way...)

Blast From the Past!

If you don't mind, I'll clean it up and fix a few errors, fix the images (namely send the pics to some admin and let them add them, so they won't be lost) and repost it if anyone accepts.

#7 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

I've written one just like it and it is listed in there, but you're more than welcome to write another. The more the merrier. Heck, you may hit some things I missed or make it easier to read.

You can find mine under Tips & Tricks.

#8 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

Is there a way to update tutorials as needed? Early scripting tutorials, in particular, may well be outdated by the time 2.5 is released.

#9 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Absolutely. If there is a tutorial in there that you see needs updated, please do not hesitate to contact us. We'll be sure to get onto it to get them updated.
Or you can submit one yourself in an updated version. Be sure to specify that it's an update though.

#10 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure how popular this idea is, but a few that I have mentioned this idea to, seem to like it.

What about a tutorial on how to change characters using LTMs under the Tips and Tricks section?
*Under the same note: A description of what and why there are 3 tiles for each direction of "Link". I know that there's the normal 2 tile animation, and then you can select the 3 tile instead for better animation.
(I already have an example quest for this if needed.)

I know it would have to mention that it's only going to work in 2.5 so far, but I figured some might like to know. Of course with scripting, you could use that B-Button select thing and change your characters back and forth. But that's not in the example.

***I can attempt a tutorial on this if you would prefer. I'm not sure if this is only open to mods and such.***

Some other ideas for tutorials:

* How to edit enemies in 2.5:
A Basic Start and explaination of what everything does, and a walkthrough of making your own (Ex. Octoroks that hop around like Tektites)

* How to edit items in 2.5:
A Basic Start and explaination of what everything does, and a walkthrough of making your own (Ex. Weaker hammers)

* How to do a one time Global Change:
What are they, examples of them, and how do you set one up

Well that's it for my ideas for now.

Edited by jerome, 19 August 2008 - 01:31 PM.

#11 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

That's great. If you feel it would be handy to do so, go for it. I'm sure people will use it at some point.
As I said in the opening of this discussion "Anything goes".

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(jerome @ Aug 19 2008, 07:25 PM) View Post
* How to edit items in 2.5:
A Basic Start and explaination of what everything does, and a walkthrough of making your own (Ex. Weaker hammers)

I think I might just give this one a go ;-)

#13 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

For the demo quest uploads, does anyone have any particular sites they recommend? I've used mediafire, but they sometimes get rid of them after a while it seems.

#14 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hmm... It hasn't been brought up, but I think it would be ideal if PureZC itself hosted the demo quests. I'll bring it up with the rest of the review team and see what they think. For now, just choose whichever file storage site you think works well.

EDIT: Errr, scratch that, you could simply upload them to the PureZC Database. I know Teilyr Xavier has done so with an over-under bridge tutorial, and don't see why you shouldn't be able to either... unless it just becomes ridiculous or something. We're trying to figure some of this stuff out on the fly, so don't be surprised if it takes us a short period to get all this straightened out.

#15 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

There's a hosting sites list in the computer discussion forum, but as it's a bit old not all of them might still work. I've used ripway.com happily for years myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users