1 screen massacre

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#61 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

As far as combos go, you can always right click and select it, or scroll to it. But there should be some level of organization.

#62 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

I did screen 18. Just finished merging, going to upload soonish.

#63 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:05 AM

urC7kG5.png
[skyworld intensifies]

GET EQUIP WITH
https://imgur.com/qnl0nMr
WALL KICK

https://www.dropbox....m1-s18.qst?dl=1

New item: Wall Kick
Added in Moosh's pit scripts
Added in Moosh's trampoline script
Changed water to work less like the garbage it spawned from (ZC)
Added songs to the 2 areas we have already to replace the default ZC songs already there. Feel free to change them if you don't like what I picked.
CLOUDS

That is all.

Edited by Dimentio, 24 April 2018 - 01:08 AM.

• Anthus, Shane and Lüt like this

#64 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:06 AM

[CLAIM]

[skyworld intensifies]

:love:

GET EQUIP WITH
https://imgur.com/qnl0nMr
WALL KICK

That's... incredibly intriguing, but is that how anybody's designed their areas to be played?

It overrides a lot of screens that seem to be designed with ladder or raft in mind, possibly even flippers.

Maybe a good late-game item though? After ladder/raft/etc get offered.

Added in Moosh's pit scripts

I hope you added some kind of no-move-on-fall code to go with it.

I got this from Avataro to go under while(true)...

if(Link->Z>0) NoAction();

...but it also disables Roc's Feather.

Which is fine for me, but possibly not for this.

Changed water to work less like the garbage it spawned from (ZC)

Oh? Do explain.

#65 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:16 AM

Lol well the game is broken now good job guys everybody can go home

• peteandwally and Deedee like this

#66 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

That's... incredibly intriguing, but is that how anybody's designed their areas to be played?

It overrides a lot of screens that seem to be designed with ladder or raft in mind, possibly even flippers.

Maybe a good late-game item though? After ladder/raft/etc get offered.

>Implying the unholy abominations that are the raft and ladder will be missed.
I'll honestly be surprised if people use them, considering how hated they seem to be.

I hope you added some kind of no-move-on-fall code to go with it.

EnterFromAbove.

Oh? Do explain.

Here you go!

#67 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

[CLAIM]

Done:

1sm-lut-m1-4e.png

That should provide people some options. I've never been fond of those dirt squares, but eh, whatever...

Quest: https://drive.google...xXlQemD3KkXEiyp

Also sorted new layers and fixed spacebar map on overworld ("only show screens marked in minimap" was checked, resulting in a giant white rectangle).

Anyway, a couple other points I wanted to bring up for discussion:

Trap Range:

Standard trap behavior has all traps stop at the center of the screen - vertically or horizontally. That results in situations like this:

1sm-traps-01.png1sm-traps-02.png

Each trap is stopped directly in front of Link, and I don't believe that's the behavior the author of the screen intended.

There's a quest rule "line-of-sight traps can move across entire screen" that allows these to slide from their original position across the full screen until they hit a solid combo. I'd be in favor of enabling this rule, as well as "constant traps can pass through enemies" so that they don't get caught up on enemies or themselves. And, with this being the only screen that uses traps so far, I'm fine letting it set the standard.

Item Placement:

Seeing what people put where and working with it is part of the fun, but I think it's worth discussing some of the more pivotal items, i.e. ladder, candle, hammer, mirror shield, etc.

It might be good to decide overall that, say, ladder goes in dungeon 1, candle can be in a shop, hammer goes in dungeon 3, and so on.

I don't really think a thing like that is limiting, but rather guiding, and preventative of a wreck or otherwise cornering the design. I guess it's up to peteandwally though.

I was considering a shop with a magic shield on my screen. I didn't put it yet because I'm not sure what screens will eventually lead to it.

Speaking of which...

Lol well the game is broken now good job guys everybody can go home

...what are you getting at here?

If it's the wall kick, that's an item, not an inherent ability, and it can/should be placed far later into the quest. It's not in init data, and may as well be post-game for all anybody's concerned, who knows.

>Implying the unholy abominations that are the raft and ladder will be missed.

Well, we've got screens with single-tile-wide rivers that the ladder easily fits, and a dock/raft path up at the top with a raft in a nearby shop, so...

Here you go!

Beautiful.

#68 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Fixed a problem with the dungeon and the overworld using the same layer.

And I had to copy Lüt's screen due to the download link not working. 

EDIT: I added the quest rules line-of-sight traps can move across entire screen and constant traps can pass through enemies.

26z5oh225i88duqzg.jpg

http://www.mediafire...Rock-m2-s42.qst

Edited by TheRock, 24 April 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#69 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

Eh... wait, how is the download link not working?

I just tried it and opened it and it's fine?

Because reassigning the dupe layers is a thing I did for both maps, as well as the full set of layers.

Also, a couple of those lower-level walls are pre-built in aliases, if you want them to line up with upper levels, far as the brick designs go.

And, the corners with no upper-brick connections are part of the main walls themselves (the 3-top and 3-bottom strips).

#70 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

Lüt's link works. So TheRock you gotta redo your screen.

#71 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

I haven't contributed to building screens up to this point, but I do wanna chime in. The ladder is an incredibly broken item. Using ladder, raft, walkable water, and 8-way movement us a horrible combination that results in ladder and raft never triggering when they should and annoying trial-and-error gameplay to get them working. I'm of the opinion that the ladder should definitely not be used for these reasons.
  • Deedee likes this

#72 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

Lüt's link works. So TheRock you gotta redo your screen.

Actually I was able to duplicate the screen, it's here:

https://drive.google...Sok2Nj2VEx290Ro

I'm also going to try linking it like this.

If there's a difference in accessibility, let me know. The only thing I can think of is that the forum shortens the display of long links, such as the direct link to the quest on Google Drive, by adding a "..." break in the middle - and while the long link is still supposed to be the one that gets processed, I've sometimes seen links appear to be broken because the browser somehow tries to follow the shortened link with the "..." in the middle instead of the long link.

So if that full drive link doesn't work, try clicking the "this" link and see if that makes a difference.

I suppose I'll use both methods in future posts.

#73 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

I figure it out. Safari doesn't like the download link, but Google Chrome was able to download the file.

r86vo3vjjhk6ey7zg.jpg

http://www.mediafire...cre-TheRock.qst

• Lüt likes this

#74 Formidable

Formidable

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

I'll go ahead and Claim the next screen. I kept making a screen just to find somebody else uploaded theirs faster, so I do think this claim idea is a good one.

EDIT: It is done.

https://www.dropbox....azinga.qst?dl=0

KbEjQ13.png

Not much to say about this one. I absolutely love the wall kick. It is really fun to play around with.

Edited by FormidableMathematics, 24 April 2018 - 06:31 PM.

• TheRock likes this

#75 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:12 PM

I figure it out. Safari doesn't like the download link, but Google Chrome was able to download the file.

Oh! OK, great. My next thought was that you had some hypersensitive security/privacy software that was blocking everything google-related. At least that's taken care of.

Also, nice job updating to account for the pit on the bottom right. I was probably going to say something about that eventually :P

Anyway, this is one of the reasons I'm really coming to like this project the more I get involved. I would never have thought to design a room like that. The narrow ledge leading up to the next room is my favorite idea here, but making a wide open hallway to the right is also a fresh design at this point, and having the lower-level walls drop to a pit on the other side makes a surprisingly good usage of space (these really tall walls can eat a lot of floor space, so you have to get creative in opening areas up).

As much as possible, I want to make it a point to never continue one of my own screens. I think it'll just add a limit somebody else could break, and remove the possibility of learning how a different designer can work with the same setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users