Making messages go away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:33 AM

Probably a dumb question, but is there any way to make a string play on a screen only the first time you enter the screen without using the Special Item or Learn Slash room types? Cuz I'm using the learn slash room type for the Deku Tree's expositional cutscene, right now, but it seems a bit odd that a tree is teaching you how to properly swing your sword. (Note: The screen I start on has a string that only plays when you initially start there and then goes away if you leave and return, but I'm not sure what I did to make that happen, or if it's just related to it being the first screen, every other room that displays a string comes back every time you enter)

#2 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:01 AM

If you go to Quest Rules, then "Other," about half-way down the list on the first page, there's an option "Messages Disappear."

It seems you can't enter a time limit or do any further configuration, but the default setup may be good enough for what you need.

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

What you wanna do is use the door repair room type and set the value to 0 rupees. That'll make the screen message happen only once. Thank Eddy for this tip.

• strike, Binx and Architect Abdiel like this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

Or you could use a simple script. I wrote this a while back to create messages that would appear only once.

ffc script OneTimeMessage{
	void run(int message, int perm){
		if(Screen->D[perm]!=0)Quit();
		Screen->Message(message);
		Screen->D[perm]= 1;
	}
}

Please note that there was only 8 Screen->D registers which can be used in this way and you should avoid using the same register for multiple scripts in the same room.

Also, this only works in normal rooms where you can place ffcs rather than rooms reached via Cave/Item Cellar warps.

Edited by ywkls, 26 April 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#5 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Wow. I didn't know that door repair trick worked. I used a script to do this once and I hate scripts : (

-Strike
  • Binx likes this

#6 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

If you go to Quest Rules, then "Other," about half-way down the list on the first page, there's an option "Messages Disappear."

It seems you can't enter a time limit or do any further configuration, but the default setup may be good enough for what you need.

That's not what that quest rule does. It makes the strings disappear when they're finished playing and removes the invisible barrier that blocks you from going to the top part of the screen (which makes the triforce check rooms useless, by the way) I currently have the rule checked, may need to uncheck it unless I can write a script that does the same function. I actually have one for requiring a specific number of triforce pieces to pick up an item, shouldn't be too hard to adjust it to create a barrier onscreen.

What you wanna do is use the door repair room type and set the value to 0 rupees. That'll make the screen message happen only once. Thank Eddy for this tip.

Oh, perfect, that worked. Thank you (and Eddy).

Or you could use a simple script. I wrote this a while back to create messages that would appear only once.

ffc script OneTimeMessage{
	void run(int message, int perm){
		if(Screen->D[perm]!=0)Quit();
		Screen->Message(message);
		Screen->D[perm]= 1;
	}
}

Please note that there was only 8 Screen->D registers which can be used in this way and you should avoid using the same register for multiple scripts in the same room.

Also, this only works in normal rooms where you can place ffcs rather than rooms reached via Cave/Item Cellar warps.

Eh, I think I'll use the door repair idea, it's fast, easy, clean and gives the dreaded room type some much-needed utility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users