Photo

Layer Objects or Fixed Objects?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Layered Objects or Fixed Ground (Read Below)

Layered Objects or Fixed Ground (Read Below)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChaoticGood1

ChaoticGood1

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:30 AM

In the creation of my quests tileset, I have come to a point where i need to make a crucial decision about how most objects will be placed on the map. I have two choices and would like some info, pros and cons from those who have thought or tried this before.

Layered Objects : Most objects will have no specific ground tile but, just the shading for it. This would allow objects to be placed on any green, any brown, any gray, ect. My idea is that for most objects this will allow a smoother and shorter combo scrolling, as you won't have to scroll for the exact desert or ground style of your object for placement.

Fixed Ground Objects : This is the style for objects where a ground tile is part of the objects graphics. I.E. Desert surrounds a shrub, instead of a shurb surrounded by transparencies and shaded for a brown ground.

Like before I would like the opinion of more accomplished quest makers who understand the full versatility of both types of tiles. I have no problems with palettes or anything both methods work very well in my quest, with the Layerd Objects being easier to implement and select but harder to use, and the oposite of the Fixed Ground Objects.

In particular I am looking for the advantages and disadvantages of how each are useful in quest, and the limiting factors of some of the more advanced tricks used in Zquest for both styles.

Thanks.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:42 AM

"have the shading for it?" If I'm understanding you correctly, then my response would be to say that it is very difficult to maintain shading while dealing with layered ground tiles. That is, if you're talking about the small "shadow" that each ground tile casts around it.

Overall, I can't say I would entirely recommend either option. I say do a mix. Keep in mind how much work it will be for you. In New BS, I included transparent versions of all my combos, as well as versions for the four terrains... but then, New BS was a small set, so you will probably not have the patience for it in yours, not to mention it'd take up space. icon_razz.gif

Here's what I'd do:

1. If there are only a few pixels of ground showing, it's a bit of a waste to create different terrain types -- see if you can work it out so they all use the same tile.

2. For most of the remaining ground tiles, plan on multiple terrains for the parts that touch the ground, but use your discretion and use fewer combos whenever the extras won't make much of a difference.

3. Some ground tiles don't need terrain versions. Why? Because some tiles are probably only going to be used on screens that already employ layer 1. If you know they will probably have a layer 1 assigned, just include the transparency version: in most cases it'll be easier.

So anyway, that's my two dollars... er... cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users