I bought some used GBA games at a thrift store

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:34 PM

Today I bought some GBA games at a thrift store for $2 each. Pokemon Emerald and Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland. The labels where all worn out, the carts and contacts where pretty dirty. The Pokemon cart was pretty messed up, lots of stress marks on the cart, the screw was somehow coming out the front, and the casing was loose. I cleaned up Pokemon first and tried it out.... It said namco on the screen... Wtf... It ended up being Tekken Advance, somebody switched the game! I tried cleaning Kirby over and over with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, but it wouldn't work. Then I eventually tried wiping some of my facial oil from next to my nose on a Q-tip and using that to clean the contacts, and it worked... I found all of this to be quite amusing and thought others might enjoy reading this and thinking I'm a weirdo for using facial grease for cleaning a game.
  • Magi_Hero, Anthus, The Satellite and 3 others like this

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:57 PM

As I recall, Emerald has a pretty unique cart. So this would mean they swapped out the game's internals rather than peeling off and swapping the stickers. Who the hell does this?

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:39 PM

As I recall, Emerald has a pretty unique cart. So this would mean they swapped out the game's internals rather than peeling off and swapping the stickers. Who the hell does this?

Maybe they really liked the green plastic? It was a pretty shade of green iirc.

• Jared likes this

#4 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:27 PM

The cart is translucent green, I was thinking they did this to scam someone. They wanted to keep the Pokemon game, but it is also worth money so they switched the internals to trick someone into paying a lot for it. I have also have heard of people switching games around when they rented them so they could keep the game they rented, and switched it for a game they didn't care about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users