PoRC Announcement + Demo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:48 PM

That idiot, Yarg. He pulled the Damn Sword of Stone Chasm out of the Stone Chasm and re unleashed the Monster Lords on us all. Damn him to hell!

Now tasked with conquering the monster lords and armed only with his new shitty sword and his sharp wit, Yarg sets out to save the world!

Oh, for what sights, wonders, and mysteries, if any, await our hero in Rectangle Country.

zc_screen00018.png

zc_screen00016.pngzc_screen00008_1.pngzc_screen00017.png

zc_screen00019.pngzc_screen00021.pngunknown.png

Hi! Peril of Rectangle Country has officially exceeded all of the joke release dates set in the past and entered its 13th year of development! What better way to celebrate than by scrapping everything and starting from scratch? That's right! Hubydweyer, Mitchfork, and myself have decided to completely scrap everything and start over. As a result, it's actually a good game now, crazy! The general outline of the game remains the same but other than that it is a completely new experience.

~DEMO~

ZC 2.55 b85 and above

DEMO DOWNLOAD PAGE
Mirror (Google Drive)

~INFO~

- The quest download includes the Enhanced Music (.gbs) files. These are required for any music, there is no MIDI support.
- This demo includes the Prologue as well as Chapter 1. Anything else has been blocked off (there's not much, anyway)
- There aren't any Bombs yet, if you were curious.
- Some things such as the subscreen are temporary for the demo release and will be more fleshed out in the hypothetical final release in the year of our lord 2049.
- Now features the gameplay engine from Crucible Quest! Thanks Mitch!

~CREDITS~

Development:
Aslion, Hubydweyer, Mitchfork

Graphics:
Akkabus, Lightwulf, Sheik, Linkus, Supindahood, Ether

Testing/Feedback:
TheManHimself, Jake Nagare

~OTHER~

Have fun! Please let us know if you encounter any bugs or have any feedback to give!

Edited by Aslion, 03 September 2023 - 04:30 AM.

• ShadowTiger, Rambly, Nathaniel and 11 others like this

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:20 PM

Not enough colors, 2/10

This demo owns bones and y'all should play it.  There are some really cool moments in here and while it's got the same gameplay engine as Crucible Crest, it's totally different in tone and presentation and design.  Really proud of what Aslion and Hubydweyer cooked up for this and it's super polished.  Dare I say, it's even "CINEMATIC" at points.

Edited by Mitchfork, 24 June 2021 - 03:23 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Shane and TheManHimself like this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:02 PM

Awesome demo but I didn't get the pineapple so I'm going to starve now. :(

• Aslion, Matthew and TheManHimself like this

#4 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:04 PM

Play this if you have the time. It's a great testament to the huge potential of the engine.

• Aslion, Shane and TheManHimself like this

#5 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:03 PM

I am obsessed with this games absolute total bit commitment to imagining a world in the grips of a catastrophic pineapple shortage. PoRC is a harrowing, inspired work of utter brilliance --- 11/10 ---

Can't wait to find out what the legendary forbidden color will look like. Will it be banana republic khaki? tract apartment paintjob beige? sepia? Eggshell?

(also going to publicly bully Mitch into making the sword cost stamina.)

• Aslion likes this

#6 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:32 PM

this is the closest we will ever get to Paper Zelda

• Mitchfork and Aslion like this

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:28 PM

Just started playing the demo and enjoying it so far. 

zc_screen00068.png

The NPC script seems to have some quirks in need of ironing out though. I'm pretty sure I'm able to talk with this guy twice at the same time, though it's a bit inconsistent.

Edit: Forgot to update when I beat it, but I did thing. No other bugs aside from that one at the start. This is a real rock solid demo, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more from porc in 2028

Edited by Moosh, 25 June 2021 - 03:33 AM.

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:38 AM

Portrait of Ruin Castlevania is a very neat quest.

• Aslion likes this

#9 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

The NPC script seems to have some quirks in need of ironing out though. I'm pretty sure I'm able to talk with this guy twice at the same time, though it's a bit inconsistent.

Edit: Forgot to update when I beat it, but I did thing. No other bugs aside from that one at the start. This is a real rock solid demo, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more from porc in 2028

Stupid mistake on my part and I just had 2 on the same tile lol. Fixed now, thanks!

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2021 - 05:09 PM

Also, Deathrider has posted an LP if you'd like to vicariously experience the demo instead of playing yourself!  And it has commentary from Aslion, Hubydweyer, and myself as well!  Cryptic jokes explained!  Fun had!  Demo 100%'ed!  My mic is very fuzzy!

At the end there's about 12 minutes of unstructured commentary just talking shop, development, ideas, and stuff, if that's the kind of thing you're interested in as well.  Thanks Deathrider!

• Aslion, Sheik, Matthew and 1 other like this

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:35 AM

The birds are cool and they have good dialogue.

#12 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:30 PM

Hey folks! Enjoy the PoRC demo but think it wasn't challenging enough? Well I've spent thousands of hours fine-tuning it to be my dream challenge quest!

Introducing:

Peril of Rectangle Country 2021 Demo

--TYPE B EDITION--

DOWNLOAD

Note: If you do not have the Type-A PoRC 2021 demo, please download it for the music tracks as they are not included in this download.

This of course would not have been possible without my investors who backed this financially, who wish, for some reason, to remain anonymous. Please do not let me know of any feedback or bugs, I don't care.

• Rambly, Anthus, Mani Kanina and 8 others like this

#13 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:27 AM

i really hope this is the equivalent of cyberpunk 2077 for zelda classic and by that i mean i can't wait to play it when i have a computer that can run it

as in

right now :)

• Colin, Aslion and Matthew like this

#14 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:49 PM

played it, loved it. very very clever, very engaging, very good with tons of good ideas. if you play one quest every 5 years like me, pick this one

• Aslion, Professor Bedwetter and TheManHimself like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users