'Let's Script' Streams: Any interest?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

It is unfortunate that you cannot do audio. This is a really good idea. It would be awesome to tune into a stream and have discussions and explanations about what any certain code is doing and how it does it. Might generate some people's interest in contributing. Might even get me off my ass and start digging into ZC code and figuring it out.Though, the possibility of AS might do that for me.

In the future, when I have a proper mixing set-up, I should be able to do audio, but at present, it is not feasible. I could of course, host audio streams in the videos, I believe?

I don't have any complaints with doing basic scripts, but I seem to feel that the majority of people on the forum now, would benefit most from syntax-focused things, and comprehending language components that are critical to doing anything beyond the scope of a twenty line item script.

I most often run into users who want to learn how to use strings, and arrays; or comprehend what a pointer is, or things of that nature. Showing them how to manipulate these types of components, visually, might be useful to them.

Really, this can easily be a community project with more than one host, and it's up to the viewers, as to what they want to see: If they want to sit and watch me add ZScript instructions to ZC, that is also fine, although I suspect that after ten minutes, they may start leaking at the ears.

#17 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

In the future, when I have a proper mixing set-up, I should be able to do audio, but at present, it is not feasible. I could of course, host audio streams in the videos, I believe?

I don't have any complaints with doing basic scripts, but I seem to feel that the majority of people on the forum now, would benefit most from syntax-focused things, and comprehending language components that are critical to doing anything beyond the scope of a twenty line item script.

I most often run into users who want to learn how to use strings, and arrays; or comprehend what a pointer is, or things of that nature. Showing them how to manipulate these types of components, visually, might be useful to them.

Really, this can easily be a community project with more than one host, and it's up to the viewers, as to what they want to see: If they want to sit and watch me add ZScript instructions to ZC, that is also fine, although I suspect that after ten minutes, they may start leaking at the ears.

I agree with you, though in Zscript you don't need to know a damn thing about pointers, really. Whatever you want to do with your streams is fine. I was just stating that I had thought about doing this for awhile, almost 2 years ago I bought a new high end laptop and was going to use it for streaming, but just didnt get around to it. Unfortunately I don't have that laptop anymore. I will try out if I CAN stream and see where it goes. I may hate doing it or people might hate me doing it. :shrug: If I can't stream I may try making some scripting tutorial vids. But I will likely start with simple stuff and maybe later move on to stuff like making elaborate bosses, a subscreen, or cutscenes. But if it never gets off the ground then it never gets there. Plus I have scripted ONE thing in Zscript in the last year and a half. I'm rusty.

#18 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

I agree with you, though in Zscript you don't need to know a damn thing about pointers, really. Whatever you want to do with your streams is fine. I was just stating that I had thought about doing this for awhile, almost 2 years ago I bought a new high end laptop and was going to use it for streaming, but just didnt get around to it. Unfortunately I don't have that laptop anymore. I will try out if I CAN stream and see where it goes. I may hate doing it or people might hate me doing it. :shrug: If I can't stream I may try making some scripting tutorial vids. But I will likely start with simple stuff and maybe later move on to stuff like making elaborate bosses, a subscreen, or cutscenes. But if it never gets off the ground then it never gets there. Plus I have scripted ONE thing in Zscript in the last year and a half. I'm rusty.

hehehe

I did in fact, just procure a much faster laptop, and this is what has enabled me to do this.

I have the same general outlook. I have no idea if I would enjoy doing this, nor do I know if anyone watching will enjoy the output. What I had suggested in the Skype group, is that a few of us host a scripting stream, and rotate hosts.

You should have a glance at the template for scritped subscreens that I have about half-complete.

@1:30

The premise, is that the user can construct either a grid subscreen, or a subscreen with placed objects, that they construct using ffcs, and then the running script outputs the code for the subscreen functions to allegro.log, so all they need to do is copy.paste it into the subscreen.zs file.

Obviously, I want to include maps with this, and it is set up for three pages (centre, left, right), but it could be expanded to do far more. hell, you could do a nine-pane screen, if you wanted, using it.

The goal is that it should be easy to utilise.

You might want to page through those videos if you are at all curious as to how I've been molesting ZC.

• isilmo likes this

#19 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

The stream is starting soon. I'm running another, ZQuest stream at present, and as soon as the script stream audience arrives, I will shift content.

http://hitbox.com/ZoriaRPG

All future stream announcements, and schedules, will take place in the Streaming board, per site rules.

• isilmo likes this

#20 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

All future Stream Announcements will be here. You may wish to view the schedule for today, if this interests you.

#21 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

Three weeks in a row, I have steamed to an audience of zero. Is there legitimate interest in this? Would another day, or time, work better?

#22 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

I would say there isn't any interest?
Perhaps YouTube vids of scripting tutorials or methodology would be a better choice. Something that people can view whenever they feel they have the time and not have to be online at X time. If you still want to use your time trying to teach peeps that is.

#23 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

I would say there isn't any interest?
Perhaps YouTube vids of scripting tutorials or methodology would be a better choice. Something that people can view whenever they feel they have the time and not have to be online at X time. If you still want to use your time trying to teach peeps that is.

I could do that, for very basic things, such as types, declarations, initialisers, parameters, identifiers, and so forth; but I don't think that is as useful as you might imagine. I personally hate video based documentation on basic usage; versus text docs. It is much easier to reference the latter.

#24 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

Whichever is honestly easier on you. Nothing NEEDS to be a video documentary or anything. A simple written dump of what's going on in your mind as you write would do wonders too. I'll give over an example.

"First, I need to declare a global variable to hold onto the tiles that my moldorm will use later on. I'll set it to a constant, because I don't intent these tiles to change. If I did want them to change, I'd probably not make it a global variable and would put it right into the FFC script itself and make the end-user take care of the tile. It would work out better."

Stuff like that.

#25 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Whichever is honestly easier on you. Nothing NEEDS to be a video documentary or anything. A simple written dump of what's going on in your mind as you write would do wonders too. I'll give over an example.

"First, I need to declare a global variable to hold onto the tiles that my moldorm will use later on. I'll set it to a constant, because I don't intent these tiles to change. If I did want them to change, I'd probably not make it a global variable and would put it right into the FFC script itself and make the end-user take care of the tile. It would work out better."

Stuff like that.

I'll consider making some videos of that sort, once I finish building my sound set-up.

In the interim, this Friday, the topic for 'Let's Script' is making a menu; in particular, a 'Difficulty Select Menu' for MegaX.

FWIW, I use a constant for just about everything. I never hardcode values, and constants are a perfect way to make updating values easy, and improve general readability (intent of numeric literals).

(ZScript constants are actually defines.)

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users