16 replies to this topic

#1 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:47 AM

I've actually been working on this:

https://vimeo.com/293791063

This is heavily based on my favourite Final Fantasy, namely FF6.

• Magi_Hero, Nathaniel, Twilight Knight and 9 others like this

#2 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:04 PM

that great ! Link will form a party whit other characters ? 

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

Thanks. I'm hesitating about that. So far I've only worked on the battle engine, and have not done any work on the story or anything else, so nothing is set in stone. At the moment it's just Link, but it would be possible to add other playable characters. On the plus side, it would allow for more complex battle strategies. On the minus side, it may end up taking so much time to script that it could be overwhelming for me.

At the moment I'm leaning towards only Link. As much as I'd like to create another FF6 in ZC, I've got to keep my ambitions reasonable, if I ever want to do and finish this thing.

Edited by Jamian, 07 October 2018 - 04:23 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:25 PM

Cool tech demo, but I wouldn't pursue a whole game in ZC. There are far better engines for this sort of stuff. But I'm sure you know this already. :P

• Reflectionist likes this

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:30 AM

Does this have functioning damage calculations based on stats or just RNG ranges? And does every one of those spells have its own animation? Absolutely nuts...

#6 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:16 AM

Cool tech demo, but I wouldn't pursue a whole game in ZC. There are far better engines for this sort of stuff. But I'm sure you know this already.  :P

I actually like that I have to do everything myself. It means I can fine tune every little thing just the way I want, instead of having to work against the existing mechanics of a pre-made engine.

Also, my idea is to use traditional Zelda mechanics for things that don't involve fighting (puzzles involving the ZC items, etc.), so the ZC engine will be welcome for that.

Does this have functioning damage calculations based on stats or just RNG ranges? And does every one of those spells have its own animation? Absolutely nuts...

It's all damage calculations based on stats. I take (a lot of) inspiration from the FF6 algorithms. After damage has been coldly calculated based on all the stats involved, there is also a little randomness added in for variance.

And yep, every spell has its own animation. Although several of them share templates (an animation appearing on top of the character, or falling on him, etc.) so for a lot of them I use the same functions that just receive a specific combo number, a cset, etc. 

Edited by Jamian, 08 October 2018 - 04:18 AM.

#7 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

This is a really nice concept. I hope to see it pan out fully. :)

FF6 is also my favorite and a good time ago we had some members interested in a PureZC hack. That didn't pan out well. One person interested also fell off the FF6 scene as well.

Edited by dinosaur rhombus, 08 October 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:30 PM

Absolutely incredible! :bounce:  Congratulations on your perseverance and tenacity in this project!  It must be so fulfilling to see the fruits of your labor on display like this.

Out of curiosity, have you ever thought about a function where if you press "B" just as an attack is about to hit you, you'll avoid all damage?  Kind of like Super Mario RPG.  It adds a layer of interactivity to combat, as well as a novelty factor that lasts through out the entirety of gameplay.  It's why I keep revisiting SMRPG and the Mario RPG games above and beyond the Final Fantasy series.  At some point, numbers just seem arbitrary if your characters can't even dodge attacks based on player input.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#9 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

Absolutely incredible! :bounce:  Congratulations on your perseverance and tenacity in this project!  It must be so fulfilling to see the fruits of your labor on display like this.

Out of curiosity, have you ever thought about a function where if you press "B" just as an attack is about to hit you, you'll avoid all damage?  Kind of like Super Mario RPG.  It adds a layer of interactivity to combat, as well as a novelty factor that lasts through out the entirety of gameplay.  It's why I keep revisiting SMRPG and the Mario RPG games above and beyond the Final Fantasy series.  At some point, numbers just seem arbitrary if your characters can't even dodge attacks based on player input.

Thanks! That's an interesting idea, I'll look into it. Although I probably wouldn't make it so it avoids all damage, as that could make you cheese all fights once you got the timing right, but I could make it so it reduces damage.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

Nice.  South Park: Stick of Truth did it that way, I believe.  They seemed to know what they were doing.  It was indeed kind of like Final Fantasy combat, but with that one added element, it evolved well beyond FF combat. 

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

I actually like that I have to do everything myself. It means I can fine tune every little thing just the way I want, instead of having to work against the existing mechanics of a pre-made engine.

Also, my idea is to use traditional Zelda mechanics for things that don't involve fighting (puzzles involving the ZC items, etc.), so the ZC engine will be welcome for that.

Well in most engines (besides RPG Maker or something) you'd have to code everything yourself anyway, you'd just have way more flexibility (Allegro is pretty old and clunky). Having access to ZC mechanics is a huge bonus though so fair enough if you want to stick with that.

#12 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:08 AM

I definitely would recommend what ShadowTiger said about adding in a dodge button. Granted, regardless of what you go with, this has caught my interest. Now I'm just waiting for someone to work on a tactical RPG like Mario + Rabbids. :^)

#13 TheChargingRhino

TheChargingRhino

• Members

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:19 AM

I also had this idea! I already posted my idea but we can work together if that's possible. 

https://www.purezc.n...showtopic=74539

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

I've actually been working on this:

https://vimeo.com/293791063

This is heavily based on my favourite Final Fantasy, namely FF6.

Ah, my speciality: RPGs in ZC.Whahahah...{insert evil laughter}

You're welcome to use my kit for this stuff if you need any of it. My own turn-based battle mechanics are typically first-person view (DQ), as I have yet to write a side-view style.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#15 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

I did end up implementing a "dodge/block" function that reduces the damage you take if you push B just before you get hit. I like it. It's a bit more difficult to time it properly than in Mario RPG because enemies attack faster, but I like it that way as I find it a bit too easy in Mario RPG. ChargingRhino, thanks but I'd like to keep this a solo project.

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users