Pokémon: Sword and Shield

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

The main thing that caught my interest is perhaps, the removal of random battles.  To be replaced with, visible overworld encounters that we can dodge or intentionally go towards.  Dragon Quest has been doing this since IX on DS, and I was waiting on when the other turn based RPGs would catch up.  I'm not a fan of random battles, because they can be as annoying as happening every step you take.  I'm aware Pokemon has always had Repels to combat this, since its inception, but, you never had access to them, or at least much or the good ones, early on in the game.  So you still had to put up with the high encounter rates, albeit sometimes no more than an hour or so into the game.  So if Pokemon finally drops this dated concept of random battles, that'll be one of the best innovations Modern Pokemon has done for the series. Everyone likes to make fun of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but this was one of the mechanics that it did, which I really liked, amongst other things.  

Edited by Koh, 08 June 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#32 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:04 PM

I mean, from what I remember of FFMQ is that the enemies were just visible, but they didn't do anything but stand there. Even if it was a good start, it certainly wasn't ideal. Earthbound, on the other hand, might be a better example of an RPG with very good overworld encounters. Although having Pokémon run from you when your party's a much higher level would be kind of annoying, especially if you're shiny hunting or something.

I still haven't had the chance to try Let's Go, so I don't know first hand how good it is, but it seems to work decently well.

#33 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

Lack of random battles completely defeats the point of the series, which is to look for pokemon. It also completely kills the excitement of finding pokemon. This is one series that gets actually worse with overworld battles, not better. And even in Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest it has two major issues: resource management and being able to run into strong enemy formations are no longer a thing because i can outright avoid enemies. Completely defeating the point of exploring dungeons and it makes a large chunk of the game way easier.

The reveal trailer showed a random encounter, so we don't even know which one it will be. If there's an option for both, then i'm all good. But if random encounters are actively removed, then whatever little excitement i have for this game is gonna drop hard. People already criticize this series for being too easy to beat, with overworld encounters it just makes the process of finding pokemon way too ridiculously easy, just further increasing this criticism.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/...281317853749249

Apparently there are both overworld encounters and random encounters. Still don't like that overworld encounters are in it, but i can still have actual excitement in finding pokemon because random encounters are still in it as well.

Edited by Norzan, 08 June 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#34 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

I've been taking these games little by little, slow by slow, but overall I've really enjoyed them.

The National Dex thing is a big bummer for me because I worked pretty hard in Sun and Moon to complete a live Pokédex; I put a lot of hours into obtaining one of every species. However, I've yet to reach the post-game content so it's not been an issue for me thus far and I can just kind of ignore it.

Dynamax is...not as terrible as I had expected.

The wild area is cool, and feels very Breath of the Wild-esque.

I love that there are random encounters as well as overworld encounters. It makes the map feel very alive.

I think most of the new Pokémon designs are great, which is not something I've said since Gen IV.

Pokédex is a task to complete, but not an impossible feat. 

Edited by Adem, 17 December 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#35 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

I never owned any of the GameBoys or DS's so I never got to play any of the Pokemon games and I had never considered emulating them either. Now that I have a Switch, however, I could play Sword/Shield if I wanted, but I'm on the fence about it.
I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this gen regarding gameplay changes, content removal, technical issues, etc. So here's my question. Would this be a good game for a beginner trying to get into the series?
Also, on another note, why are all the gens split into two games anyways? Is it necessary to own both for a full experience, or do you just need one?

Edited by Titanium Justice, 17 December 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#36 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:32 PM

I'd definitely say that you don't need the two for the 'full experience'. Maybe for a 100% experience, but what you're missing is for the most part about 5% of the game changed. That goes for every generation, except maybe Gen 1 (which is even less) and Gen 3 (probably more).

I've not played it myself, though so I don't want to give too big an opinion. As I understand it, the consensus is that it's a fun game, but most of it is because it's still a Pokémon game - it's not the best game in the series, but it's a good time. Take that with a pinch of salt - as I say, I've not played it myself.

EDIT: I will say, what I can give an opinion on is the soundtrack, which is great. I'm mixed on the Gym battle theme, though it's used really well in the game. And the Sand Town theme starts like YMCA. Take from that what you will.

Edited by klop422, 17 December 2019 - 05:34 PM.

#37 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

I never owned any of the GameBoys or DS's so I never got to play any of the Pokemon games and I had never considered emulating them either. Now that I have a Switch, however, I could play Sword/Shield if I wanted, but I'm on the fence about it.
I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this gen regarding gameplay changes, content removal, technical issues, etc. So here's my question. Would this be a good game for a beginner trying to get into the series?
Also, on another note, why are all the gens split into two games anyways? Is it necessary to own both for a full experience, or do you just need one?

They're split into two games because money. The only real difference is that each game has a handful of Pokemon (Maybe 20 out of 300 total) that are only in that game, and the climax of the game revolves around whichever one is on the front cover. It's really trivial differences, for the most part.

As for getting into the series... eh? I haven't played the games myself, granted, but I've done a whole lot of reading about them. They're not terrible, but they're not exactly great either. They're plagued with technical issues and generally just kinda cut corners and are all-around lazy. They'd be panned for the issues they have if not for the fact that Pokemon games are only ever judged by comparison to other Pokemon games, rather than other RPG on the market. I suppose if you've never played a Pokemon game before, you won't be angry the myriad of features that were cut, so there's that. :P

#38 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

They're split into two games because money.

Ehhhhhhhh... no.

Pokemon, since its inception, is designed as a social game. Sharing and trading is a core part of its identity, which is why the main series has only ever appeared on portable consoles. It's designed for children to meet up in the playground and engage socially and cooperatively to "catch 'em all". The reason the games were split was to encourage/enforce this aspect of the design - to make kids share and play together, not sit alone in a corner with their face in the Gameboy.

Fast-forward to today and those kids have grown up. They're not interested in playing together, they have no desire to brag to their friends, they just want to complete the game themselves. But Pokemon is a MULTIPLAYER game - you're supposed to complete the journey with friends (or at least A friend). You get one version, your friend gets the other, and you COOPERATE. But the adult players? No. They're in charge of their disposal income, so if they want to complete the game they just buy both versions themselves, then COMPLAIN that Game Freak are greedy for making them buy two copies of the same game (even though they were never supposed to be doing that).

If you're buying both versions of the same gen, you're an idiot. Get a friend and trade with them. You don't even have to leave the house these days so you've got no excuse.

EDIT: Oh, and to address the second part of your post, Pokemon clones exist (it's surprising they're not that popular though). People are out there making single-player "Pokemon" games that address the flaws (or at least attempt to) that Game Freak are too lazy to fix, so if you like the gameplay loop but aren't attached to the Pokemon brand I'd definitely look into those.

Pokemon is kinda like Dynasty Warriors. They lazily rehash the same game over and over, yet because they have a practical monopoly on the genre they get away with it. So if you find someone doing "Pokemon" better than Game Freak, support them! Spread the word. Give them some competition and maybe they'll pull their finger out and release a good game for a change.

Edited by NoeL, 17 December 2019 - 07:23 PM.

• Russ likes this

#39 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:12 PM

If you're buying both versions of the same gen, you're an idiot. Get a friend and trade with them. You don't even have to leave the house these days so you've got no excuse.

While I agree with most of what you said about, it's worth nothing that I know of several kids and/or confused parents who ended up buying both versions of the game. There is the social aspect, for sure. But especially with how they usually release an "improved" version a year later (or two versions, in the case of Gen 7), I'm gonna say that milking it for all its worth is definitely a factor in the decision for multiple versions.
  • Nicholas Steel likes this

#40 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 18 December 2019 - 01:38 AM

I know of several kids and/or confused parents who ended up buying both versions of the game.

Yes, idiots exist. Can't really blame Game Freak for that. It's not like they're psychologically manipulating people to buy both copies, unlike pre-order exclusives or loot boxes.

#41 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

I mean, they did sell a Sword+Shield bundle, so they know people buy both, but even so, I'd say it's on you if you do.

#42 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

These are legit the first pair of games in a new generation i have actively skipped and have no desire of ever playing. From the Dexit, to the fact Exp. Share is mandatory for some unholy reason and so many other baffling design decisions, i just decided to skip them.

I'm honestly just tired of the same setup in every generation. You are a kid that wants to be a Pokemon Champion or something similar, so you go around defeating Gym Leaders, getting badges, and defeating the evil team. It honestly feels like groundhog's day at this point and it's why this series is now considered the Dynasty Warriors of Nintendo. We have franchises like Super Mario and Zelda actually trying new things in a new game in a new console, but then Pokemon just decides to do the same shit and asks for 60 bucks on top of it. Sword and Shield are not worth 60 bucks.

Edited by Norzan, 28 January 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#43 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Exp. Share is mandatory for some unholy reason

This wouldn't be a problem if the game was designed around it.

It's not.

A friend gave me Sword for Christmas. I was honestly going to skip out, not because of hate, but because of funds. I planned on waiting until the "inevitable second version" when suddenly instead they're adding DLC expansions. Which in my opinion is actually a hell of a lot better move. But yeah, I had enough money for one game around when this came out, and my options were this or Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I picked the latter and have had absolutely no regrets.

I beat the game earlier this month. I wanted to do some of the postgame but I also recently bought a PS4 so good luck with that; I hear the postgame is meager anyway. I'll come back when the DLC releases. Now, I enjoy the wild area, some of the new Pokemon, and the camping, but the rest is... meh. It's somehow more linear than past games despite having an open wild area, the story has the pieces but doesn't connect them in a fulfilling way, the characters are bland and forgettable, the villain is obvious and their motives never fully explained... It also went by much faster than previous games, probably because of said linearity.

Towns were incredibly lacking. They'd often have cool visuals but nothing of interest. There is legit a town that's a straight line, and another that has four buildings: A Poke Center, two houses, and the stadium. Looking for buildings with multiple floors or side areas with trainers to fight and goodies to grab? Look somewhere else. The only real "hideout" in the game is one elevator and a trio of double battles along the way. Disappointing.

Hop started as an annoying rival, displayed shades of character growth, then went back to being bland. Marnie had a lot of potential to be a good character but they don't flesh her out enough. Leon feels like the only solid character overall and even he's generic. It's just enough for me to feel something when it comes down to the final battle against him, at least, which is admittedly one of the only hype moments in the game.

The music is underwhelming. Despite being on a console, it still somehow sounds like it's coming out of 3DS speakers, even on a TV screen? There's only a handful of songs I really like, and the rest are just generic or forgettable. There's a route theme, Marnie's battle theme, the "hideout" theme, and the Champion theme and... that's about it. I enjoyed the gym leader battle theme but for a specific reason: When the leader's down to their last Pokemon, the song changes and the crowd sings what sounds like a fight theme. It's a great touch for the spectator sport nature of Pokemon battles in this region. It's just that the song itself is kind of average. They reuse the same concept in the Champion theme and it's a better melody though, so...

"Unfulfilling" is a good word for this game. There's a lot of good pieces there but they don't fully come together. The balancing is all sorts of off, as I alluded to above; I was overleveled for most of the game, without even really trying to, but the Champion's levels were slightly above mine? I think I'd be more disappointed if I was the one who paid for it, but who knows, maybe the DLC will be better. I didn't hate my time with the game, but yeah, it'd be a letdown with or without the national dex.

#44 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

This wouldn't be a problem if the game was designed around it.

It's not.

I agree it wouldn't be much of an issue if the game was balanced around it, but i still prefer it as an option. What made me more peeved with this design decision was someone at Gamefreak telling anyone who doesn't like this decision to just deposit pokemon in the pc if they don't want to get overleveled. Which honestly feels like a snarky response. Then again, a lot of responses during the pre-release felt like this.

Edited by Norzan, 28 January 2020 - 09:46 PM.

#45 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

I'm honestly just tired of the same setup in every generation. You are a kid that wants to be a Pokemon Champion or something similar, so you go around defeating Gym Leaders, getting badges, and defeating the evil team. It honestly feels like groundhog's day at this point and it's why this series is now considered the Dynasty Warriors of Nintendo. We have franchises like Super Mario and Zelda actually trying new things in a new game in a new console, but then Pokemon just decides to do the same shit and asks for 60 bucks on top of it. Sword and Shield are not worth 60 bucks.

I mean, I'll be honest, I feel like there are ways to set up this basic story that make it new and interesting each time. This game, uh, doesn't do that, from what I've seen.

On the one hand, I feel like the series needs another 'coming together' point, like Gen 4 - where they take all the new mechanics from older generations, build on them all, and build them together. Make the series feel like less of an endless slew of new gimmicks (something which kind of started with Gen V, I guess? Though those were pretty good games).

On the other hand, it's been formulaic for ages. They fixed some of it in Gen 7 with the trials (and I think that really worked, personally), but then they went straight back.

So, basically, what we need is a new story and formula, that still brings together everything new that's been added to the series. I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users