Photo

Screenshot of the Week 64

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:51 PM

And the nominees are...

Nick
user posted image
Link ventures into Hyrule Field as his quest begins.

Jaivaz
user posted image
Shot from a quest that will probly never be finished.

PrinceMSC
user posted image
AI dungeon test screen.

codelinker
user posted image
Link stares at a keese...

Ian
user posted image

skateboarder11
user posted image

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:38 PM

Almost none of the shots are to my liking, and since I'm a big fan of custom work, Prince gets my vote as always.

Nick: A nice shot, but I'm bothered by symmetry. icon_neutral.gif It's not EXACTLY that way, as the path below is a bit different. This would seriously get my third vote though, as there is a good amount of colors in this shot comapred to the rest.

Jaivaz: A nice screen, but there is nothing going on. icon_neutral.gif

PrinceMSC: The overall design of this screen seems good, and the custom tilework is just amazing here. It is symmetrical at the top, but the colors and tiles in this shot are just too damn good to pass up. icon_smile.gif

codelinker: Would've been my second vote. A tiny bit of action going on, and I'm just a fan of lava.

IaN: The screen is good along with the stuf above, but the fact there is so much green on the screen is a bother. icon_neutral.gif

skateboarder11: Ack, the screen has nothing going on, and it's pure green. Just doors and an arrow is all I see aside from the diagonal walls.

When it comes to colors and symmetry when playing, it's not really a bother. But this is a contest between the best screenshot. The whole screen must look appealing. icon_wink.gif
So, Prince gets my vote.

#3 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:48 AM

well, Prince trounces again. Note to self: never enter screenshot competition with Prince.

#4 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:29 AM

Nick: Good job on this shot, I like the tiles on the castle. The colors work very well together. Maybe if you could add a drawbridge. icon_smile.gif

Jaivaz: So-So mountain shot. Though the mountain looks a little funny. Maybe add a little bit of shadow where the mountain hangs off.

PrinceMSC: Wow... The colors are awesome. The wall exspecially!! You are really good at making custom tiles, great job.

codelinker: I love lava levels too, and this one looks great.

Ian: You are just good at these test shots. The aLttP tiles are just looking better and better everytime I see them.

skateboarder11: Good, but nothing going on. For sure, next time take the picture in ZC because it gives more brownie points. Also, add a little bit of things in the room.

Well, these were great shots, however, my vote goes to PrinceMSC because his tiles are unbelieveable. You are really good at this. And just like DarkFlameWolf said, "Prince trounces again. Note to self: never enter screenshot competition with Prince". icon_smile.gif

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:38 AM

Whoops. It seems I've forgotten the SOTW schedule. So much for entering this week. Oh well. icon_razz.gif

Nick:

I like the grass borders... are those new edits, or am I just not familiar enough with Pure?

Nice screen design, but there's not very much that's interesting in this shot. Everything appears to be by-the-book, although you've tweaked the palette, which is a nice change, I suppose.

Jaivaz:

Hmm... too many repeat combos for the waterfall... *squints* ....um... what you're doing with my rock tiles.... well, I guess it works, but it looks a little weird. icon_confused.gif

I'd just recommend using a little more variation for this screen.

Ian:

A nice screen, though a bit old... I think you need to extend the "brush" at the bottom of the screen to the north part. There's so many trees with nothing but flat grass between them. Anyway, looks good, but you need something besides trees for the outer parts.

sb11:

Though I'm not fond of this kind of use for wall tiles, you've gone out of your way to make it work this time. It must take a lot of combos to get that right. From a designers point of view this looks pretty good, but as a screenshot it doesn't do much for the players out there.

Also, I really think you should reconsider your palettes. This and the others are waaay too monochromatic. It just feels unnatural; kinda like the Emerald City of Oz. :\ (the book version, where they wear the green-tinted sunglasses)

codelinker:

I like it. icon_smile.gif If this is PureQuest, it does well to its name. This is as good a use of standard, out-of-the-box Pure tiles as you could hope for. However, it won't turn many heads. icon_shrug.gif

The only thing potentially wrong with this screen: the mouth on the right spewing lava? It's too close to the lava's surface for it to fall two tiles.

This would be second in line for my vote.

PrinceMSC:

*blinks* Am I the only one who finds this screen more than a little bit blinding?... The colors... too bright... icon_blind.gif

While this is just a test shot, I also don't really like the screen design much. The perspective is cluttered.

But since nobody else seems to be doing anything new and interesting this week, I guess it still gets my vote. icon_shrug.gif The tiles are obviously very good despite being too bright, and the shot's layout is at least as good as any of the other entries. C'mon, people, put up more of a fight next time.

Edited by Radien, 15 September 2004 - 04:40 AM.

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:19 AM

Nick: Pretty well rounded shot, just not SOTW winning material. Everything else is fine. icon_wink.gif
Jaivaz: Personally, I think the endentions on the rock should go all the way down, but you just have it melding in with the rest of the rock. It looks a bit wierd.
PrinceMSC: Finally. The shape of the dungeons in AI are perfect. And I mean perfect. It's way more realistic than any other dungeon I've seen (in ZC or in actual games). It gives the since of tall rooms, and I like that. icon_wink.gif But, I can tell this is a test shot. The black areas on the walls, you still need to do something with that. icon_wink.gif
Codelinker: Not anything to really say. There aren't any problems, but the lava fall on the left, shouldn't be so small. It gives the feel of an unbalanced lava pool. It looks like the left pool is higher than the one on the right. They need to be equal.
Ian: Really nice. There's not really anything to add to it.
skateboarder11: There's not much bad about this, except that it should have been taken in ZC, and that the diagonal walls don't fit in. icon_shrug.gif

My vote was for Prince.

#7 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:37 AM

Nick: Pretty good shot. I'm fond of the palette edits. icon_wink.gif Would've been my third favorite shot.
Jaivaz: Eh... it's okay... There's quite a bit of waterfall/mountain in the shot though... @_@
PrinceMSC: HOLY ****! Those tiles are excellent, it's a great perspective... it's a bit bright though... but it's still a visually stunning and amazing shot. icon_omg.gif
Codelinker: Pretty good. I don't really have much to say other than that. icon_razz.gif
IaN: Very nice shot. This would've gotten my vote had it not for been for Prince's shot. icon_wink.gif
skateboarder11: I like the diagonal walls. icon_smile.gif Pretty good, though it could use a tad more things going on. icon_shrug.gif

Prince gets my vote, of course. Who else did you excpect? icon_blah.gif

#8 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, even I voted for Prince's shot icon_razz.gif I just wanted to point out some things about Prince's shot that's been bugging me. It's that there's those black parts on the screen. Personally, it jus tdoesn't look right. Prince can easily make tiles to go on the top of the walls. Heck you could use the floor tiels for it.

And also, on the top floor where the walls end at the side. Again it's the black. You can easily make the wall go off the screen instead of having the empty black.

And the lava seems a bit out of place. It looks great and uses very realistic colors, but it doesn't fit in with those dungeon tiles. And the last thing; the treasure chest. It's perspective is completely different than everything else. I looks like it's from a sidescroller while everything else you're looking down on.

Yeah, I figured I might as well nit pick it since not many others will icon_wink.gif

#9 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf)
well, Prince trounces again. Note to self: never enter screenshot competition with Prince.

Well, we don't always know when Prince enters. But I must say, Prince can be defeated, but it'd take one hell of a screen... and that hasn't happened yet. But, doesn't mean it never will. icon_wink.gif

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:10 PM

Oh, Prince was defeated once before, but it was a long, long time ago. Doesn't really matter though.

Nick: A bit too bland. I like the different colors you're using, (Actually, just THAT you're using different colors.) The layout .. works, but could be better. More layers are always helpful. And definitely add trees. If you're going for something more barren, make it clear to us that it'll be barren by sticking in dirt and sand in places.

Jaivaz: I like the waterfalls, and the use of the new cliff styles, and how you arranged them, but you gotta admit, you have nothing else. And the grass near the 'falls are too square too. Add shallows between little nipped portions of grass.

Prince: ... Er... No need. icon_sweat.gif

CodeLinker: Very red, obviously, ... Not that much happening. Add shadows under the bridge, and animate them a bit. And what's with the floor border non-convergence in the lower right? Why does it not combine? They're the same type, aren't they?

Ian: Definitely a phenominal shot. The layout is virtually perfect, along with the supreme variations on the trees. My only gripe, is that where the Master Sword meets its stone pedestal, it's in a triangular formation, rather than flat. It sort of looks like it's just resting there, supported by that single tip, also making it look a bit shorter than it really is. Why not make that just extend toward its pointed tip and end in a perfectly horizontal line? icon_shrug.gif

Skaterboy: ... Green. Very, very, very, green. I like it that it's not a rectangular room, and I like the use of diagonals, and the unconventional use of wall bottoms.

#11 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:25 PM

Prince's strikes me as off. Not only is it very very bright, but the way the corner tiles are designed coupled with the shape of the dungeon room makes it look horribly skewed. I went with Ian's, mostly because of the neat little shadow effect on the Master Sword. It may not be much.... but.... oh well. Had to oppose the MSC... on principle, you understand.

#12 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Sep 15 2004, 12:10 PM)
Skaterboy:[/b] ... Green.  Very, very, very, green.  I like it that it's not a rectangular room, and I like the use of diagonals, and the unconventional use of wall bottoms.

BH4, please don't call me that. icon_sweat.gif

[b]Nick:
Very good palette... also a decent castle town entrace...
Jaivaz: Eh, not the worst I have seen... but not the best either
PrinceMSC: ...Damn... Just darken it a bit and it's perfect.
Codelinker: Looks a bit like CoD. (Which means it's instantly good. icon_razz.gif)
IaN: Didn't you already submit this? :\ If not, it was probably on ZCU...
skateboarder11: ...
1. Every other quest has a lot of one color in a dungeon, and you only complain about mine. icon_blink.gif
2. This is just a passageway room. No point taking it in ZC, as all the enemies are a few keese. :\
3. How do the diagonal walls not fit? icon_blink.gif
4. How is it... "Monochromatic?" icon_blink.gif I don't understand... as nobody seems to complain about this unless it is my quest. (No, I am not using pure in this quest...)

Well, I null voted again...

#13 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:46 PM

My apologizes for the screen shot being to bright. My monitor makes everything darker than what they really are. So I will defiantly make the dungeon colors darker.

Now about the black part. Its going to stay like that even though it bugs some of you. But I think you won't mind it so much when you play the quest. However, when you get the AI tileset, you can build your dungeons any way you want. icon_razz.gif

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#14 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

Nick: This screen is a bit boring. I like how you used your grass and flowers conservative. Instead of filling the whole screen up with them. The gold castle top looks pretty nice. But again the screen is too boring for me. Good screen overall. icon_wink.gif

Jaivaz: This screen is okay. It is a bit boring as well. Link, where is he? icon_freak.gif

Prince: No comment. icon_sweat.gif

IaN: Very good screen. I like how you designed it.

Skate: I like how you made it. Good screen.

Sorry, lost the screens. They won't show up, so I can't say anything about IaN, and Skate. I might add to it later. Good job, everyone! icon_wink.gif

Edited by codelinker, 15 September 2004 - 05:09 PM.

#15 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:25 PM

My hidden point has been proven. I won't go into any detail as to what it was in this thread, though. (Note that the observation has nothing to do with the votes)

Anyway, I voted for PrinceMSC. This shot just rocks my socks because it looks so nice. icon_eek.gif

I happen to like the bright colors as they seem to give it some personality, but I guess that is just me. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users