Now Playing

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:21 AM

It's pretty much globally accepted that music is a cool guy. It can pump you up, feed your rage, or even (if it's really good) break you down.

This is a thread to post what music you're listening to right now, and in whichever way you want. Your post could be as short as this:

/np Radiohead - Let Down (OK Computer, 1997)

Or maybe you'd like to say a little more:

/np Radiohead - Let Down (OK Computer, 1997) - This is a fantastic song. I've been listening to it for years, but it's really only hit me recently, and is becoming one of my favorite songs of all time.

Maybe you really, really love your music:

/np Radiohead - Let Down (OK Computer, 1997) - What can I say about a song like this? How can a song so effortlessly capture the disappointment of an entire generation? How can a song take depression and turn it into haunting, layered beauty? Even after listening to it dozens of times, I still find myself feeling the full weight of the song. It's a song that totally describes the emptiness of a processed life of "motorways and tram lines"; the feeling of being "crushed like a bug"; your tries at escape are "hysterical and useless"; your sentimentality is just emoting for the sake of emoting, just "drivel". Finally, the song builds up to its finale, a triumphant claim: "One day, I am gonna grow wings/a chemical reaction." Yorke's falsetto repeating "You know where you are;" instant chills. The song is sadness distilled; total emotional catharsis. Not today; but one day.

Maybe you're intrigued by someone else's music:

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ forever)
/np Manic Street Preachers - Peeled Apples (Journal for Plague Lovers, 2009)
I've heard a lot about this band, but never really listened to them. Where do you think I should start if I wanted to see if I'd like them or not?

Well, since I've literally listened to Let Down 9 times in a row, I guess it's time to wrap this post up. What are you listening to right now?

#2 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Feb 28 2011, 08:51 PM) View Post

Maybe you're intrigued by someone else's music:

QUOTE(Taco Chopper @ forever)
I've heard a lot about this band, but never really listened to them. Where do you think I should start if I wanted to see if I'd like them or not?

Only since May 2009, which isn't forever icon_frown.gif

And since you said it:

I'll say what I say to anyone who asks me where they should start. If you like intellectual punk/hard rock, you start with Generation Terrorists. If you like harrowing post-punk a la Joy Division, then the Holy Bible or Journal For Plague Lovers. If you like sweeping arena anthem rock, then Everything Must Go, This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours, Send Away the Tigers and Postcards From a Young Man. The other three (Gold Against The Soul, Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood) are good, but they aren't really as good as their other work. But if you really want to understand them properly, I'd suggest listening to all their albums sequentially.

#3 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:11 AM

/np Denpatou - Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Pretty cool song, pretty cool band. My favorite song of theirs is Ao no Uta, but Denpatou is pretty unique, so I like it.

By the way, I think I made a Now Playing thread a couple years ago and it got locked because it was "a waste of posts". :/ Just sayin'.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

I am a dignified human, and prefer to type out that I am listening to the fantastic sounds of Beulah, particularly their album "When Your Heartstrings Break". I do not prefer to associate my post with a single song. Though I am very much preferring Ballad of the Lonely Argonaut.

#5 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

/np Sigur Rós - Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása (Ágætus byrjun, 1999)

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Feb 28 2011, 08:11 AM) View Post
By the way, I think I made a Now Playing thread a couple years ago and it got locked because it was "a waste of posts". :/ Just sayin'.
This is sort of the reason why I put it in OtBP; post count doesn't increase here, so short little posts are perfectly fine.
QUOTE(Lithium @ Feb 28 2011, 11:30 AM) View Post
/np Sigur Rós - Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása (Ágætus byrjun, 1999)
I downloaded ( ) last night; fantastic album, I'm planning on hitting Ágætus byrjun next. Speaking of which,

/np Sigur Rós - Untitled [Álafoss] ( ( ), 2002)

Too many parenthesis. >_>

#7 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Feb 28 2011, 01:03 PM) View Post

I downloaded ( ) last night; fantastic album, I'm planning on hitting Ágætus byrjun next.

Yeah, ( ) is fantastic. I think I like Ágætus byrjun a bit better though. Definitely get it~

/np Interpol - PDA (Turn on the Bright Lights, 2001)

#8 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

If you liked ( ), you'll almost certainly like Ágætis byrjun (and vice versa). They have a similar sound, although ( ) is slightly more intense and focused on normal rock instrumentation, whereas Ágætis byrjun uses a bit more orchestration and unusual instruments and is slightly more mellow. Of course, the differences are slight, and mostly they're the same. Ágætis byrjun is probably the happier of the two albums, but that's because ( )'s entire second half is meant to be dark, whereas only a few songs on Ágætis byrjun (notably Ný batterí) are dark, really.

speaking of

/np Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (Ágætis byrjun, 1999)

This song is pretty perfectly suited for those nights when it's clear out and the moon is full and illuminating everything and the sky is this soft blue, slightly green color. At least, I think so, anyway.

Edited by Rambly, 28 February 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

/np Wavves - Post Acid (King of the Beach, 2010)

Some people here aren't in some music cult and listen to whatever they want to listen to D:<

#10 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Feb 28 2011, 05:06 PM) View Post

Some people here aren't in some music cult and listen to whatever they want to listen to D:<

I listen to whatever I want to listen to too and it turned out I wanted to listen to Sigur Rós today~~

in fact I'm probably the one responsible for getting Ironfist/Lithium/Taco Chopper/Ebola Zaire into Sigur Rós

/np Doctor Piebrush - (Take A) Walk on the Wild Side (A Remix) (Bracket Cats, 2011)

ironfist this isn't very good icon_frown.gif

#11 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

/np The Smashing Pumpkins - Soma (Siamese Dream, 1993)
I'M ALL BY MYSELF
AS I'VE ALWAYS FELT

this song is f***ing awesome I'm ashamed for never really noticing it before

#12 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

This is an interesting idea for a thread.

/np Waka Flocka Flame feat. Cap - O Let's Do It (Flockaveli, 2010)

Okay, maybe my music doesn't suit anyone else hear, but I just bought the album and I like it. icon_sweat.gif

#13 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

/np Katamari Dancing - Takashi Utsunomiya (Beautiful Katamari OST)

The songs in these games...they're so damn addicting. XD

#14 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Cee Lo Green, F*ck you, 2010. Greatest song ever. Listen to it 10 times a day icon_razz.gif

#15 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Feb 28 2011, 07:48 PM) View Post

Cee Lo Green, F*ck you, 2010. Greatest song ever. Listen to it 10 times a day icon_razz.gif

Entertaining? Yes. Greatest song ever? No.

/np Equilibrium - Mana (Sagas)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users