Photo

Screenshot of the Week 298

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (47 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

IPB Image
Air Kingdom joins the SotW contest!

Lithium
IPB Image
"But Lithium, this isn't even good!" to which I respond, "I haven't entered in well over a year or won in nearly two. Sympathy votes please."

Sheik
IPB Image
More BS/MC remix WIP.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

Avatar - Not bad, but fairly simplistic. For a SotW shot that is; it's just fine for a quest. But an issue with the overlook and the trees far below... I honestly at first thought it was a bunch of greenery attached to that floor of the level and didn't truly realize it was a long-way-down view until I read your caption. Maybe it was that bird's shadow, lol, but I'd suggest maybe some darker shading there and perhaps a few more clouds to give the illusion of being high up better.

Lithium - Hmm... Not bad, I guess, but dude, I know you can do better.

Sheik - Very nice, very well done. Never thought I'd ever see a shot where I would think those rocky tiles looked good... And you've done it. Can't really find a single complaint at all, except maybe that tight spot in the top right. This one gets my vote.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:51 PM

Avataro wins my votes. The feel he creates with the shot is awesome. Floating buildings = win.

#4 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:43 AM

Voted for Shiek.

Heres my views on each shot:

Avataro: Woah! Something that high seems so low. You could have put in more clouds including ones that go under the floor of this shot as well as put mountains in the back to make it more convincing. But I guess you didn't go bad with the walkable area of the shot. 6/10

Lithium: Shot of a monochrome Zelda game? I have been playing Link's Awakening recentley and Nintendo's monochrome style looks better than yours in my eyes. Try making it in shades of black/white like what Nintendo did instead of brown. I've seen this in the Peril of Retangle Country thread by the way and it has a good screen design by itself, but my eyes don't like the monochromic browns. 5/10

Shiek: Disregard most of my critisim on your previous shot. It looks much better this time round, but I still don't like the BS mountain tiles with the MC scenery. Try editing them to make them less clashy. 8/10.

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

Avataro, may I suggest moving all tiles one tile to the left? That'd look better composition-wise. Also, I have to agree on the issue, that I don't really feel any depths here. The clouds and the small trees are a good start, but not enough maybe. Other than that, it's a solid screen. Not more, but certainly not less.

But Lithium, this isn't even good! You know, I'm a fan of your quest. I love Zelda, I love GB, I love retro. Chances are, I love you, too. The bottom right quarter is great, the rest is a bit too bland. Just throw in some of those underwater-trees from OoA and some of those rocks into the water and you have a great GB Zelda screen. Though, it's actually still enough if you are going for the original Nintendo design.

~

Thanks for the feedback, TS. That spot in the upper right cornor actually was wider in the first version of that screen. (I've remade the screen multiple times to make it flow with the other screens around better). I should really go back to that design.

Thank you too, Orin. But seriously, I don't see those mountains clash with the MC tiles too much. Sure, I could edit them to use MC's shading techniques, but I don't feel I have enough colours in my palette as it is. But chances are I will switch to a different set of mountain tiles, so if I do, I will make sure that they don't clash with the MC tiles.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Oct 26 2010, 02:58 AM) View Post

Thank you too, Orin. But seriously, I don't see those mountains clash with the MC tiles too much. Sure, I could edit them to use MC's shading techniques, but I don't feel I have enough colours in my palette as it is. But chances are I will switch to a different set of mountain tiles, so if I do, I will make sure that they don't clash with the MC tiles.

I can't see a clash myself ever. I voted Sheik it has a nice chilling feel to it and the big items in the subscreen how do you do that sheik is it scripting? If it is I bet Joe123 did it and I love the link tiles is it Koh's that shading reminds me of his work.

Lithium also has a nice under the sea feeling even with 4 brown colours and the fish just adds a more marine life touch
witch screens really need brown looks better the black and white in my opinion you nailed the GB feel.

Avataro I can't put my finger to it but I hate DoR floating cloud areas now don't abuse me I not saying "OMG GOD PLEASE JUST GET RID OF THAT AREA!" no because I see you put in alot of hard effort. I think crow's shadow looks weird on the grass/land hands down good and clean design like DoR should be.

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Oct 25 2010, 11:43 PM) View Post

Voted for Shiek.
Lithium: Shot of a monochrome Zelda game? I have been playing Link's Awakening recentley and Nintendo's monochrome style looks better than yours in my eyes. Try making it in shades of black/white like what Nintendo did instead of brown. I've seen this in the Peril of Retangle Country thread by the way and it has a good screen design by itself, but my eyes don't like the monochromic browns. 5/10

Actually I think Lithum's is better then theirs because the old LA was empty and repetitive Lithium has added things like a giant fish.

Edited by Midnight_King, 26 October 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for criticism! ..And for the tips! icon_wink.gif (But I can't do anything against the birds shadow)
I really have to learn how to make floating areas better. Good ideas OrinXD!

Lithium, there is water underwater? Haha, this new palette feels like gameboy. I want to play a game using this style in every screen! icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, I like the tileset sheik is making. I like the screen. icon_thumbsup.gif
I wonder why BS is not clashing with MinishCap
And I believe the subscreen is just a dummy?

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

Sheik gets my vote, simply for being amazing. icon_razz.gif Best tileset ever, might I add. Seriously guys, having seen other screens from the same tileset too, I can honestly tell you that it's kick ass! I'm almost tempted to use it for THP, but then I'd have thrown a lot of already done work out the window, and I don't want to do that.

Lithium, your screen is epic too. Mermaid-Yarg is also win. No complaints... why did I vote for Sheik over this? I don't know, it just appealed to me slightly more, though that does not mean it's any less good. I'd say they're about equal, but today, Sheik's style just did it for me. Every day is different icon_razz.gif

Avataro, your screen isn't bad either, but it does look a bit off, somehow. I think it may be the background, and how it interacts with the walkable tiles. May I suggest adding some kind of shadow?

#9 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

and the big items in the subscreen how do you do that sheik is it scripting?

You can't script anything in the default subscreen. It's actually not that complicated, just tedious. The heart meter is done with the life meter piece subscreen part, not the premade gauge. Everything else unusual seems to be simple tile blocks... except the boomerang?! How did you do that??

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Oct 26 2010, 10:44 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Sheik @ Oct 26 2010, 02:58 AM) View Post

I can't see a clash myself ever. I voted Sheik it has a nice chilling feel to it and the big items in the subscreen how do you do that sheik is it scripting? If it is I bet Joe123 did it and I love the link tiles is it Koh's that shading reminds me of his work.

Lithium also has a nice under the sea feeling even with 4 brown colours and the fish just adds a more marine life touch
witch screens really need brown looks better the black and white in my opinion you nailed the GB feel.

Avataro I can't put my finger to it but I hate DoR floating cloud areas now don't abuse me I not saying "OMG GOD PLEASE JUST GET RID OF THAT AREA!" no because I see you put in alot of hard effort. I think crow's shadow looks weird on the grass/land hands down good and clean design like DoR should be.

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Oct 25 2010, 11:43 PM) View Post

Voted for Shiek.

Actually I think Lithum's is better then theirs because the old LA was empty and repetitive Lithium has added things like a giant fish.
I'm gonna add a giant fish to THP, so I can be better than Nintendo too icon_biggrin.gif

Also, you're aware that fish is from LA, right? (Or one of the GB games at least)

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

I voted for Sheik although I think the plain grass is a bit overdetailed.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 26 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post
I voted for Sheik although I think the plain grass is a bit overdetailed.
What? o.O How does that make sense? xD

It's not really plain grass then, is it? icon_razz.gif

Anyways, yes, Minish Cap used the very same grass in a different manner, but that doesn't mean Sheik has to, right? I think Sheik's idea may have been based slightly off of the way the DoR grass sometimes is used. (Though I don't know for sure if that's what he was thinking)

What I'm saying, is that Sheik might not want to use a plain 100% one-colored green grass tiles, and uses the "detail" tiles instead. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, as the grass in question actually looks nice with it. Though of course, I do prefer the way Minish Cap used it, now that you mention it. So Sheik, if that's not what you were thinking, it may not hurt to tone it down slightly. Not much, but a bit? As I said, it doesn't look bad now, but it might look even better if you did that. Up to you though, of course... icon_smile.gif

#13 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

MY VOTE: Lithium

MY THOUGHTS: All 3 were incredible this week, it was a hard choice.

Avataro: Loved this shot! I love the depth of the trees outside on the cliffy part of the air castle or whatever it is. Other than that, the screen doesn't have too much going for it... I'm not very fond of your subscreen, and everything else is kinda okay. But overall it's a great shot, very great!

Sheik: I had to give this shot a couple glances cause I didn't see a few things at first. I missed the crazy pattern in the ground at the top of the screen and the weird bat/bird creatures. And DUDE I LOVE THE SUBSCREEN. It's just freaking awesome!! Overall this is a really cool screen and yeah I love your subscreen, it's so CLEAN. icon_eek.gif

Lithium: I noticed a small problem with your land to water tiles that it looks like they aren't the right match around the corners. Other than that, this is a really cool looking screen. It really caught my attention more than the other ones. I'm a sucker for simple, and a sucker for turning simple into awesome. It looks like Link is a mermaid and that's crazy but cool. I could totally see this screen being used for a Gameboy game. Anyways great job!

ALL OF YOU ROCK! icon_heh.gif

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback everybody.
About the grass - I will see what I can do. Keep in mind, though, that everything is still very WIP. I'm thinking about changing a lot of the tiles, even some of the pretty "basic" ones like the grounds (grass, dirt ---) or the mountains. I have some nice ideas, but maybe I should use them in a different tileset (as it won't exactly be BS/MC anymore after those changes).
This tileset is actually not 'offically' used for any project of mine and thus it's a project of it's own: the BS/MC tileset. Depending on how much I get done, how my mood is and how high the demand is, I might even submit it. I'll remove some of my custom tiles (for example the subscreen and big item sprites) in that case, though. And I'd have to clean the file up, hah! (Or you'd just get a crappy messed up WIP file - if I submit it.)
^This also means that Joe hasn't touched the file yet. Which in return means that there's nothing set up properly or scripted yet. Which again means that, yes, this subscreen is not working (yet). However, I know that Joe could set it up to work like it looks it does. I wouldn't show it off in SotW otherwise. (And I actually only added it to my SotW entry because the last round people wished for a subscreen and more action in my shot.)

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Oct 26 2010, 08:34 AM) View Post

Also, you're aware that fish is from LA, right? (Or one of the GB games at least)

Yeah Fourth Boss in Level 4 LA icon_razz.gif but I'm saying he adds new tastes to each of his overworld rather then just adding the basic elements: Trees, Ground, Rubble, Water, Grass. He adds a pinch of flavour by added new stuff to each of his (maybe not all) screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users