6 replies to this topic

#1 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 01 February 2022 - 01:08 PM

last updated: 02/02/2022

Hello, all!

Here I am once more, asking for your help!

I've got some updates on the Crystal Heart quest that I'll be posting soon, but as I advance to a new phase of the project, I humbly come asking for aid in making my visions for the quest possible.

question

I'm a noob in scripting, even less than that. My quest currently has a few scripts and I intend on adding a few more.

My question is: Should I nake a notepad document with all the scripts (current + new ones) and compile it together in ZQuest?? (pls help am dumb)

#1 REQUEST - MAP

I intend on adding more detailed maps. Perhaps Moosh's "LttP/Oracle Dungeon Map Subscreen" will suffice for the dungeons, but I wish I could have a better map for the overworld, which is comprised of several DMaps. This is currently the problem I least know how to solve.

#2 REQUEST - SECOND BOW/ RUPEE SHOOTER

This one is quite simple; I simply want two kinds of "bows" in my quest, one that uses arrow ammo and another one that uses rupees. This does not seem possible to accomplish with the item editor.

Normal Bow = needs arrow and quiver items, shots vary from 1dmg to 5dmg depending on arrow.

Rupee slinger = uses one rupee as a projectile, which deals 1dmg. Projectile speed is a little slower than L1 arrow and firing speed is also lower.

#3 REQUEST - RECURRING NPCs

This is something I'm trying to implement via screen secrets and boss triggers, but perhaps there's a better way. There are a few npcs that should say different things at different stages in the game (THIS HAPPENING MORE THAN ONCE), which can be measured through acquired items. Besides that, interaction at different points in the game should open new doors and maybe even give new items (if possible).

#4 [SOLVED] REQUEST - QUICK ITEM SWITCH + A OR B SET UP

I want the player to be able to switch B items with L and R while still being able to set A and B items freely.

Using Evan20000's script https://www.purezc.n...=scripts&id=292

Well, I appreciate any help I can get, even thoughts and opinions

Once I am no longer confused with scripting, progress on the Crystal Heart will ensue rapidly!

Thanks bye <3 <3

Edited by Ica, 02 February 2022 - 09:54 PM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:57 PM

#1 REQUEST - MAP

I intend on adding more detailed maps. Perhaps Moosh's "LttP/Oracle Dungeon Map Subscreen" will suffice for the dungeons, but I wish I could have a better map for the overworld, which is comprised of several DMaps. This is currently the problem I least know how to solve.

For this, you could try using Moosh's Metroidvania minimap script.

#2 REQUEST - SECOND BOW/ RUPEE SHOOTER

This one is quite simple; I simply want two kinds of "bows" in my quest, one that uses arrow ammo and another one that uses rupees. This does not seem possible to accomplish with the item editor.

In 2.55, this can be done in the editor. It's possible in 2.53 if you'd rather stick to that, but would involve rescripting the bow, so the scripter would probably want details on what bow and arrow upgrades you plan to have, how closely you need it to mimic the built-in bow, etc.

#3 REQUEST - RECURRING NPCs

This is something I'm trying to implement via screen secrets and boss triggers, but perhaps there's a better way. There are a few npcs that should say different things at different stages in the game (THIS HAPPENING MORE THAN ONCE), which can be measured through acquired items. Besides that, interaction at different points in the game should open new doors and maybe even give new items (if possible).

This is mostly doable via string control codes. They're blocks of text you put into the string editor that can do stuff like switch to a new string or give Link an item depending on if Link has a particular item or if a counter is set. Check docs->zstrings.txt for more details. For stuff like doors opening, you could try using Moosh's NPC script to have NPCs guard areas.

#4 REQUEST - QUICK ITEM SWITCH + A OR B SET UP

I want the player to be able to switch B items with L and R while still being able to set A and B items freely.

Evan's script here does exactly that. Also switches the A item with Ex1/Ex2.
  • Ica likes this

#3 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 01 February 2022 - 11:43 PM

In 2.55, this can be done in the editor. It's possible in 2.53 if you'd rather stick to that, but would involve rescripting the bow, so the scripter would probably want details on what bow and arrow upgrades you plan to have, how closely you need it to mimic the built-in bow, etc.

Alas it cannot. You can have it cost something else instead of *magic*, but it will always cost arrows *as well*. We have a fix for this issue planned, but have yet to go through the work to implement it.

• Ica likes this

#4 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 02 February 2022 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I'll try the different map scripts that already exist and think more about what I even want from it.

Alas it cannot. You can have it cost something else instead of *magic*, but it will always cost arrows *as well*. We have a fix for this issue planned, but have yet to go through the work to implement it.

Oh noooes :<

Well, if it can be scripted, what I have in mind is:

Normal Bow = needs arrow and quiver items, shots vary from 1dmg to 5dmg depending on arrow.

Rupee slinger = uses one rupee as a projectile, which deals 1dmg. Projectile speed is a little slower than L1 arrow and firing speed is also lower.

I'm already using Moosh's NPC script, but I didn't know about the string control codes! That'll come in handy.

I'll update this post as the problems are solved :)

Edited by Ica, 02 February 2022 - 09:52 PM.

#5 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:35 PM

Heyyyy

So, the news on this are:

I think I'll use Moosh's Metroidvania map script for dungeons only. For the rest of the game, I think I'll simply allow the space bar map to be used and not have one on the passive subscreen.

What do you guys think?

I now understand string controls (kinda), but to best make use of it i'd have to basically rewrite all the strings in the game. 

Is there an easier way of writing strings instead of just writing them one by one in the string editor?

• Jenny likes this

#6 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 March 2022 - 01:44 AM

have you looked at floundermaj's map script? you could potentially use it for the entire quest.

i'm using it just for the overworld on three crests as i prefer moosh's alttp/GB map script for the dungeons. it uses the dmap general scripts 1-4 by default, which feels like a lot. i ended up modifying the script so it'd use 2-5 instead. the other issue is that you have to design map tiles in 16x11 as well. it doesn't line up well on the tilesheets - i had to draw up a grid before i began designing my overworld map - it's definitely more reflective of ZC's screen dimensions than say, 8x8 or 16x16. although, i imagine this could be modified if you knew enough about scripting.

• Ica likes this

#7 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 17 March 2022 - 01:15 PM

have you looked at floundermaj's map script? you could potentially use it for the entire quest.

i'm using it just for the overworld on three crests as i prefer moosh's alttp/GB map script for the dungeons. it uses the dmap general scripts 1-4 by default, which feels like a lot. i ended up modifying the script so it'd use 2-5 instead. the other issue is that you have to design map tiles in 16x11 as well. it doesn't line up well on the tilesheets - i had to draw up a grid before i began designing my overworld map - it's definitely more reflective of ZC's screen dimensions than say, 8x8 or 16x16. although, i imagine this could be modified if you knew enough about scripting.

This map is EXACTLY what I wanted, thank you so much Taco Chopper!!!

I'll have his kind of map for the dungeons and I'm considering using the built-in map viewer for the overworld areas. I realize it might look a little "primitive", but I like the idea of having acess to how the screens actually look like + having to figure out how the areas connect. It reminds me of making custom handmade maps for games, but made easier. I'll test it out and see how I feel about it hehehhehe

• Taco Chopper likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: request, help, custom items, The Crystal Heart, script

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users