"It's popular, but not with me"

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#31 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Gossip: Now, I'll admit that I'm guilty of listening in from time to time out of curiosity, but I don't understand the point of just sitting around and talking badly about people. "She did this." "He's a jerk." I mean, it's not really anyone's business what happened unless they were somehow impacted by it. While I can understand it's easier to ease one's frustrations by making somebody else look bad, I feel like it's a really low thing to do.

Whining in General: We get it. You don't want to go to work. You don't want to do your homework. You can't wait for classes to end. Now stop posting about it on Facebook before I hide you from my newsfeed.

Passing Judgement: A lot of my friends tend to judge people merely by their appearance or by what they've heard. Heck, even sexuality and religion. I don't understand that at all. People can't help how they look, and people make mistakes. They have their feelings and they have their beliefs. And like it or not, everyone has a few skeletons in their closet. Yet I constantly see people write others off with no valid justification. Why is that so hard for some people to understand that doing something like that isn't fair?

Also...

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Sep 1 2011, 09:40 PM) View Post

Trash talk: I don't understand this at all. Any time you score a point in some game or sport, and feel the need to boast about it, often of the "in your face" way, I just don't understand how anyone can rub it in like that. You've got your personal validation, now go home with it. You're just setting yourself up for hatred now and later.

Not giving it your all when it's just really not that hard, or can improve yourself by it: You have two hands. You have two shift keys. You really can capitalize that i you know. It won't kill you. If you pulled that crap on an essay some college professors would string you up and hang you from the flag pole.

Whining for attention, then keeping it to yourself: Posting on Facebook with "Today was HORRIBLE." Then getting a reply, "Oh? Sorry to hear. What happened?" Then responding with "I don't want to talk about it. Mind your damn business." People do this all the time. They set themselves up for attention from their friends and people who care about them, and then shoo them away as if their concern means nothing.

Theeeese.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Sep 2 2011, 02:17 AM) View Post

Online multiplayer: When you're playing with your friends it's ok, but I don't know how so many people can handle playing with strangers. I can play games like Guitar Hero because your opponent has no influence on your actions, they can't talk to you, and if they're cheating it's no skin off my back - I can leave and find another opponent. The only thing that annoys me is people that quit because they're losing (which is most of the time, since I'm so 1337). Anyway, I digress. Other people on the internet are assholes. Period. No qualifiers necessary - if you are on the internet, and you are not me, you are an asshole. I'm not going to play a game where I'm forced to put up with assholes, and I can't understand how so many people do... oh right, because they're the ones being assholes.

Poor orthography (yes, it's totally popular): Learn the difference between their, there, and they're, and between your and you're (it's and its is slightly more bearable). Use punctuation, and use it where appropriate. Make also ur grammar gud.

As a special case, I can't stand people that say "I could care less". The saying is "I couldn't care less", as in "my care for this subject is as low as it could possibly be, and couldn't be any lower". Saying "I could care less" implies some degree of care, since it's possible to care less than you currently do.

And theese.

#32 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

Almost all nowadays music except for the occasional song here and there. I for example did like some Mika or Scissor Sister songs when they were very popular.

Alcohol it's mostly just a popularity thing. People drink it at young age because their friends tell them it's cool. My friends kept telling me to drink this crap, yet when I tell them that drinking is a popularity thing, they deny it, but still they tell me to drink alcohol, or when I tell someone I don't, they are completely shocked. I just like to keep a clear mind.

Cigarettes pretty much the same as alcohol, except that this stuff is extremely addicting and bad for your health. I keep wondering why this isn't illegal yet.

Smartphones because I really hate it that people focus on their smartphones when you're talking to them. When I'm in a pub, like 90% of the people are sending ping messages on their stupid Blackberry. It's ridiculously expensive and a poor substitute to a real social life.

Mindless shooter games (CoD etc.) no story, no real gameplay, just shooting some guys, getting killed, respawn, killing some more. I do like Gears of War though, the maps and weapons in it are far more than simple capturing/deathmatch or press R2 to shoot. Winning a chainsaw battle in Gears is simply one of the most thrilling game experiences ever.

Anime boring, childish. Just no.

Talent shows no actual talent, just laughing at complete morons and when someone wins the show with some actual talent, they scam the person anyway.

Fanboys I see no reason to defend a certain something you love yourself. It's not like you can talk the other person into liking in anyway if it's a hater. Haters be hating, even talking to them is complete pointless and can only make yourself look bad.

#33 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 2 2011, 06:04 PM) View Post
Alcohol it's mostly just a popularity thing. People drink it at young age because their friends tell them it's cool. My friends kept telling me to drink this crap, yet when I tell them that drinking is a popularity thing, they deny it, but still they tell me to drink alcohol, or when I tell someone I don't, they are completely shocked. I just like to keep a clear mind.

Cigarettes pretty much the same as alcohol, except that this stuff is extremely addicting and bad for your health. I keep wondering why this isn't illegal yet.
Both of these are wrong. Sure, there are people who drink because 'oh it's so cool and s***', but those people are stupid icon_razz.gif I'll be the first to admit that I do drink to get drunk, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being cool or popular. It's the same reason I smoke weed, I enjoy being intoxicated, though why that is I won't begin to try an answer. I do know it has nothing to do with being popular though, cause if that was the case I wouldn't smoke when I was alone... which I do icon_razz.gif

I do agree on your last point though, cigarettes should be illegal and heck, throw in alcohol too. I won't start a marijuana-debate here (we have multiple in the debate forum if anyone is interested), but fact is alcohol and cigarettes are dangerous, and can in fact kill you. While marijuana can't do that of course... and it has in fact been proven that smoking marijauna before drinking alcohol makes the alcohol kill less brain cells, which is certainly very interesting.

I do smoke cigarettes as well though, and it's nothing but a bad habit. Alcohol and cigarettes are one of those things we should be able to live without, yet if beer was banned people would be off-the-walls pissed XD I still hope, and think that one day we will come to a point where we realize that we don't need to outright ban it, but instead choose not to drink it. I however am too weak so I'll leave that to the next generation or something.

#34 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(Robin @ Sep 2 2011, 06:29 PM) View Post

Both of these are wrong. Sure, there are people who drink because 'oh it's so cool and s***', but those people are stupid icon_razz.gif I'll be the first to admit that I do drink to get drunk, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being cool or popular. It's the same reason I smoke weed, I enjoy being intoxicated, though why that is I won't begin to try an answer. I do know it has nothing to do with being popular though, cause if that was the case I wouldn't smoke when I was alone... which I do icon_razz.gif

I do agree on your last point though, cigarettes should be illegal and heck, throw in alcohol too. I won't start a marijuana-debate here (we have multiple in the debate forum if anyone is interested), but fact is alcohol and cigarettes are dangerous, and can in fact kill you. While marijuana can't do that of course... and it has in fact been proven that smoking marijauna before drinking alcohol makes the alcohol kill less brain cells, which is certainly very interesting.

I do smoke cigarettes as well though, and it's nothing but a bad habit. Alcohol and cigarettes are one of those things we should be able to live without, yet if beer was banned people would be off-the-walls pissed XD I still hope, and think that one day we will come to a point where we realize that we don't need to outright ban it, but instead choose not to drink it. I however am too weak so I'll leave that to the next generation or something.

Weed is still bad for your health, but it's quite healthy when you smoke a pure joint (no tabbaco), actually. But still, I know many people that do it for popularity reasons (seeing them, hearing them or them admitting it even). So what I say isn't wrong, but it depends on the person. Beer is healthy too even, but depends on the quantity you drink. I hate these things just for those imbeciles out there that try to be cool by doing it. Also, I know that making these illegal is out of question, it only encourages the "cool" part of using drugs or alcohol, and the illegal trade in these things.

Why am I debating here? Why do we exist? Is there Life on Mars? I wouldn't know, but it's a godawful small affair to the girl with the mousy hair is all I know.

#35 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 2 2011, 12:04 PM) View Post

Almost all nowadays music except for the occasional song here and there. I for example did like some Mika or Scissor Sister songs when they were very popular.

Do you hate it because it's bad music, or do you hate it because listening to it for some time gives you a headache? Hypercompression is a thing that producers do now a days, and it really makes it hard to listen to any music whatsoever.

I do agree with this statement, but because of hypercompression, not because of its inherently bad. (though I agree a lot of today's music is also inherently bad, but production makes listening to the good stuff just plain PAINFUL)

#36 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

I totally agree on the music-subject, though mostly because my taste in music is rather different when compared to other people my age. I tend to like the type of music your dad, or mom likes icon_razz.gif There's a few good modern bands though, like Donkeyboy, but Donkeyboy is heavily influenced by 80's pop and not to mention a-ha, both of which I love icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 2 2011, 06:58 PM) View Post

Weed is still bad for your health, but it's quite healthy when you smoke a pure joint (no tabbaco), actually. But still, I know many people that do it for popularity reasons (seeing them, hearing them or them admitting it even). So what I say isn't wrong, but it depends on the person. Beer is healthy too even, but depends on the quantity you drink. I hate these things just for those imbeciles out there that try to be cool by doing it. Also, I know that making these illegal is out of question, it only encourages the "cool" part of using drugs or alcohol, and the illegal trade in these things.

Why am I debating here? Why do we exist? Is there Life on Mars? I wouldn't know, but it's a godawful small affair to the girl with the mousy hair is all I know.
Smoking a joint is less healthy than smoking from a bong, or a vaporizer, for the same reasons inhaling tobacco-smoke, or any kind of smoke at all is bad for your lungs. The difference however, is that in tobacco there's a lot of chemicals that are really bad for you, while weed simply doesn't have this, seeing as it is, as you said, pure. The only thing that is negative about smoking weed is inhaling the actual smoke, and seeing as no one ever smokes as many joints as one would smoke cigarettes a day, it's much less of a problem. A regular smoker can easily smoke at least a pack a day (I don't, because I'm not that stupid... pretty stupid still though), which obviously brings with it a lot of problems... while if you were to try and smoke the same amount of marijuana you'd fall asleep before you even come close icon_razz.gif Believe me, I have tried XD

Oh well, I suppose we're getting a bit off-topic with this. I'd gladly partake in a debate, or mature-forum (seeing as I really don't want younger people to get the idea that doing any kind of drugs, even weed, is a good idea. Weed, while it has been proven that it's not a gateway drug, can still lead weaker-minded people to stronger drugs which naturally is a very very bad thing.)topic about the subject however, so if anyone feels like doing that, be my guest. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, to comment on the 'doing it to be cool' part of your post, as I said earlier, yes it does happen. A few people are like that, but I personally think those people are idiots. It's completely pointless to drink in order to be popular and it's shallow as hell. I'm glad none of the people I grew up with ever was like that, cause I can't stand those people.

#37 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 2 2011, 11:04 AM) View Post
Anime boring, childish. Just no.
Come on, that's not really fair. You only think it's childish because you see immature bulls*** like Naruto and Dragon Ball Z touted everywhere. You've never been exposed to the truly profound side of it. Miyazaki movies, for example. I have never seen a sngle Miyazaki film that didn't absolutely blow my mind, and likewise I have never met a single person who doesn't have a favorite Miyazaki movie.

#38 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Oh boy! This is my kind of topic! Let the b****ing commence!
Xbox 360: I see a lot of graphics whoring and whiny 12 year olds. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but I don't see any big selling points here.
Minecraft: Yeah, Minecraft is addicting and stuff, but I see no reason to play for long enough to assemble a gigantic castle out of solid gold blocks that I crafted individually from smelted gold bars. There's a point where I get bored and stop playing. And then there's those servers that make you visit their website or charge you to get whitelisted or promoted or some other bulls*** so you can play with building blocks online.
RayWilliamJohnson: Remind me how this unfunny prick became the #1 subscribed Youtuber? Oh yeah, dumbasses with computers.
Mario romhacks: Yeah, I like when people get creative with ASM, but for the most part, your average Mario hack puts me to sleep.
Chuggaaconroy: Never got what made him so special...I don't find him funny and I don't really like how all his LP choices are popular games that have been LPed a million times already...If he wants to be an informative LPer, why not play something we haven't already been informed about?
Art of Trolling (and memebase in general): THIS ISN'T TROLLING! Or funny for that matter.
Steam: Why should I need to download a whole new program to download games on the computer? Are distributers to lazy to do the advertising and distribution by themselves?

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 02 September 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#39 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Oh come now. You can't dislike the modern music. Radio music sure, but there's bands out there for almost every genre under the sun. LCD Soundsystem sounds like something out of the 80's, most of the 90's bands are still around (and there are plenty mimicing their sounds), psychedelic jam bands of the 70's are in full force, there's hundreds of singer/songwriter folks running around.

I don't think you dislike modern music as much as you don't bother venturing out there to find modern music you would enjoy. Get Spotify. icon_biggrin.gif

#40 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ Sep 2 2011, 07:37 PM) View Post

The only thing that is negative about smoking weed is inhaling the actual smoke

Lol, this reminded me of a stupid think my brother does to a friend of his as some manly test, which is to exhale smoke into his nose, and he must inhale all of it or such. Idiots. icon_razz.gif

Plus weed leads to memory loss, they say.

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ Sep 2 2011, 07:45 PM) View Post

Come on, that's not really fair. You only think it's childish because you see immature bulls*** like Naruto and Dragon Ball Z touted everywhere. You've never been exposed to the truly profound side of it. Miyazaki movies, for example. I have never seen a sngle Miyazaki film that didn't absolutely blow my mind, and likewise I have never met a single person who doesn't have a favorite Miyazaki movie.

Never ever heard of Miyazaki. By Anime I do mean Naruto or Death Note and such. In my opinion they suck, so it is fair.

Oh and about modern music, it's indeed hard to stand. Besides that, autotuning is a horrible pain to my ears and pop songs of today are badly written, with some exceptions like some of Bruno Mars songs or Adelle, but I don't like those for the electronic background music and the voice respectively.

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 02 September 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#41 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Sep 2 2011, 01:04 PM) View Post
Never ever heard of Miyazaki. By Anime I do mean Naruto or Death Note and such. In my opinion they suck, so it is fair.
Yeah, NEVER judge anime by anything from Shonen Jump. Except for maybe Rurouni Kenshin, and that's a VERY rare exception. Most Jump anime is unbearably chiche and rather dull. Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Death Note (I actually rather liked Death Note, but that's because I'm a fan of Takeshi Obata's art style) are all extremely poor examples of anime, mostly based upon filler and not having very much worthwhile content.

And as for Miyazaki:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Spirited_Away
Come on, EVERYONE knows this movie.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 02 September 2011 - 01:14 PM.

#42 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Sep 2 2011, 01:53 PM) View Post

Steam: Why should I need to download a whole new program to download games on the computer? Are distributers to lazy to do the advertising and distribution by themselves?

You don't understand the purpose of Steam, do you? Steam is amazing- free games, or really good indie games for a couple bucks, and discounts. (A couple months ago, you could get Fallout 3: GOTY for $5. STEAM IS AWESOME.) What you have to understand, is that because of Steam, indie game companies can finally get the recognition they deserve. Considering doing that is something I want to do some day, Steam is kind of a big deal to me. If it weren't for Steam, we probably wouldn't know anything about Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, Braid, Machinarium, etc... which are all amazing games. Yes, yes, a lot of people get it for TF2 and those shooters people seem to flock to hating, but still... You gotta know where to look. Other than TF2, my most played games have costed chump change out of my wallet. When I could pay $8 for Sonic the Hedgehog on VC, I can get it $3 cheaper on Steam, which makes a huge difference, because with an extra $3, I can get a damn good indie game.

#43 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Sep 2 2011, 12:53 PM) View Post

I think Steam is a useless thing.
Just a few years ago. i bought Half life 2 in a store.
And i brought it home and could not even play it at all.
They said that i had to download the game from steam before i could play it. But the thing is i have dial up so no Download of that game.
That was a wast of $30. $30 down the drain I coulda used that to buy something playable At least.

Edited by linktopower, 02 September 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#44 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Sep 2 2011, 05:28 AM) View Post

With all due respect, I think this is rather silly. To dislike something just because it's popular is on one level with being different for the hack of being different. Why don't just like what you like and dislike what you don't like regardless of it's popularity level and strings attached?

It's not because it's popular that I don't like it. It's just that most mainstream music I've listened to doesn't appeal to me.
My sister likes and plays all the newest stuff, and it does nothing for me.

Lyrics: When music has a really edgy sound and the lyrics are just about general morals, YAWN.
This is good, this is bad, we should all hang together, corporations are bad, love will pave the way, etc.
99% of the time I prefer no lyrics at all, music alone can say so much more, with lyrics there is a tendency
to have the music play as a background to the lyrics, rather than designing lyrics to work with well done music.

And, don't get me started on female singers these days, can't you express some emotion without
sounding like you are having an orgasm every other sentence? I HATE that.

Tower Defense Games: WHAT THE **** IS WITH THIS CRAZE? Seriously, you set up your screen,
and just sit there and watch what happens - it's a video game, and you just SIT THERE -- that- it-
just- NO. Video games are supposed to be interactive, and the part that makes them especially fun
is interacting in the action itself. Heck even in turn-based RPGs you get to decide which attacks to
utilize. I see people playing these games before and after class. I'd just as soon stare at a screensaver... icon_confused.gif

#45 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

When people complain to me about their problems rather than to the person who the're a problem with. I'm not going to elaborate on this one, however, because I don't want to be a hypocrite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users