ALToA: Palette Thread

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

So, I've been working on a few of the palettes for some of the later areas (the first few all use standard palettes.) I thought I'd create a topic to show off some of the ones that I've made, kind of to gather some criticisms and see how I can make them better. Or if they are amazing and you just feel like telling me that icon_razz.gif So anyways, onto the first one:

IPB Image

Okay, this is what I have so far for the fiery volcanic portion of the map. Personally, I like it, but looking at it again, it might be a little bit too dark. The area doesn't really have an ominous, dark, evil atmosphere, but just fiery, a bit more excited almost. Kind of like, "Whoa, this is epic. A huge mountain, lava flows, burnt trees, I'm READY TO ADVENTURE!" So yeah, I'm wondering if I should lighten up the colors a bit. So that's my main question on it, but other comments, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome. And don't comment on the screen itself, it's not an official screen. I whipped it up in a few minutes just to show off the palette.

Oh yeah, and just in case you didn't understand from the introduction, this topic is for ALL palettes I'm making , not just this one.

#2 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

I like it a lot. I think the brown needs to be a little brighter.

#3 Mariolink263

Mariolink263

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Looks good. The colors make me feel like it's a volcano area, so it did it's job.

#4 Adem

Adem

Traveler

• Members

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

Pretty cool, but that brown isn't working for me. Other than that, looks great! icon_thumbsup.gif

#5 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

I don't really like that brown on the mountains. And also, could you maybe try a slightly red-tinted ground, maybe that'd look nice.

#6 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

Okay, yeah, so I should work on the browns... I'll get on that later. Now, it's new palette time!

IPB Image

Forest palette. I'm not really to sure about this one. I don't think it's really all that great, but I guess that's for you to decide. So yeah, the brown water is obviously supposed to be mud, so don't bother saying "the water is brown." If it looks that bad, there's also blue water to substitute. Anyways, comments/criticisms. And same comment on the screen design as last time.

#7 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

The screen design is great, but there is one problem. I'm not a fan of the small, one combo mud...piles. I think the piles should be a little larger.

As far as the pallete goes, I think the color for the grass/dirt tiles should be a little darker.

#8 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Surprise update, suckas!

Mkay, so, as I just started working on the forest, I updated the palette based on the suggestions and what I thought looked right. Also, I decided to edit the volcano palette while I was at it. And again, these are not official screens. Do not comment on the screen design.

IPB Image
I should really set that undercombo.

So I reduced the amount of bright green in the ground tiles. Made it look more blue. I personally think it works better with the feel of the forest, and is a bit more "natural." But then again, I'm not sure. Also, I'll say it again, there is blue water. I just didn't use any here.

IPB Image

I did more work on this one. First, I brightened the brown used in the mountains, as that seemed to be a common complaint. The overall darkness of it got to me. icon_unsettled.gif The ground has more of a brownish/reddish/orangish hue now, but I'm really not sure on that one. It meshes better with the mountains/lava, but I kinda think the gray might have been better. Also, I changed the color of the black/yellowish rocks, not because I got rid of the colors, but because the ground part of the tiles is still the gray, and it didn't match.

So anyways, comments/criticisms? Better than before? Worse? Horrendously bad and requires eye bleach? I'd like some feedback here.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

I like the overall feel of your colors against each other, but they tend to be kinda dark. It's like it's early evening in both of those locations. You might want to consider lightening them.

Note: yes, real forests are often darker due to tree shadows. But if your trees are tiny, the effect is going to be lost on the player. In Classic, I'd recommend a lighter forest palette.

#10 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

Did I mention something in the official thread about how I'd have two feisty new palettes in a week? I lied. It's three weeks?

So, wham, desert.

IPB Image
I'd make a sarcastic quip, but I'm not a fan of dry humor.

It's a desert. I really have nothing to say about this. Compared to some other first attempts at palettes, I think it turned out rather nicely.

And because I'm such a loving human being...

IPB Image
If video games have taught me one thing, it's that every desert has an oasis in it Remember that while you're dying of thirst in the Sahara.

I needed a second shot to show off the oasis tiles. I figured the blues and greens contrasted the yellows and oranges. Or something like that. I'm no artist, I have no idea what the hell "contrast" means.

Also, there is also a lava color swap for the water. It's identical to the one found in the volcano palette, so look there for a reference. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Oh yeah, and there's this one. But be warned. It's awful.

IPB Image
Apparently, I though this was a good idea at one point in time.

Erm, yeah. I was supposed to give a coral reef vibe. It didn't. Pretend I made this one as a joke.

Well, that's all for now.

EDIT: Oh, and Radien, to answer you're question from 367 days ago, they look considerably brighter in-game (as well as in-editor.) Compressing the shots caused them to be quite fuzzier than they should be. It messed with the colors pretty bad.

Edited by Sir Evan, 27 August 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

"So, wham, desert." has the best palette so far, nice job. I think the others need lighter ground

#12 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:04 AM

The desert palette is pretty cool (pun?). And I like the idea of those corals, but like you noticed yourself the colour choice is rather sucky.

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ Aug 28 2011, 03:39 AM) View Post

I needed a second shot to show off the oasis tiles. I figured the blues and greens contrasted the yellows and oranges. Or something like that. I'm no artist, I have no idea what the hell "contrast" means.

Lucky for you, I am. Well, no I am not to be honest. But I can explain it anyways.

Huge borderline-offtopic post ahead:
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users