Photo

Screenshot of the Week 745

Mitchfork Bagu HeroOfFire Orithan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 745 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 December 2020 - 04:18 PM

Lots of custom tiles and unique styles this week. And this is the last contest of the year, too. Vote for your favorite, and leave some feedback.

Bagu
Bagu.png
Watch out! ...aged Hippes try to steal your weed! :blah:

HeroOfFire
HeroOfFire.png
It's probably not safe to climb a mountain during a blizzard.

Mitchfork
Mitchfork.png
so, uh, come here often?

Orithan
Orithan.png
How do plants flourish in an underground cavern full of crystals and lava? Only the labyrinth may know.
  • Hari and Bagu like this

#2 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 20 December 2020 - 04:28 PM

My vote goes to Mitchfork's screen ...even though there's no weed :) .

...wait... there might be weed. We don't really know what else but this campfire is burning.

Edited by Bagu, 20 December 2020 - 04:40 PM.

• Twilight Knight and Sheik like this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 December 2020 - 07:51 PM

This one was really difficult for me. It's a toss up between Bagu's and Mitch's. I ended up voting for MItchfork cause the colors, and layers there are really nice.

• Bagu likes this

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 December 2020 - 11:46 PM

I voted Mitchfork because it's insanely hard to pull off decent transparency (I think I know how it might've been pulled off).

#5 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:44 AM

i'm torn because i don't like hippies, so i'm tempted to vote for bagu. however mitchfork's shot is really just a gbc dream for me so i think i have to vote for him.

• Bagu likes this

#6 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:11 AM

i'm torn because i don't like hippies, so i'm tempted to vote for bagu. however mitchfork's shot is really just a gbc dream for me so i think i have to vote for him.

I'm not against hippies, as long as they don't steal my "sacred herbs".

• Matthew likes this

#7 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:22 AM

Like most others, it was a toss-up between Bagu and Mitchfork. I chose Bagu's shot in the end, because as well as looking rather different from the others, it made me chuckle.

Edited by FieryBirdyThing, 21 December 2020 - 07:23 AM.

• Matthew and Bagu like this

#8 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:00 AM

Like most others, it was a toss-up between Bagu and Mitchfork. I chose Bagu's shot in the end, because as well as looking rather different from the others, it made me chuckle.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

I voted Mitchfork because it's insanely hard to pull off decent transparency (I think I know how it might've been pulled off).

Thanks!  Glad people like the transparency effects!

We are dedicating CSet 4 to transparency colors in most level palettes in this quest - so when making the transparency, I pull the raw screen with no shadows into GIMP, then play with a transparent layer color until I get something that looks good.  Then I merge the layers and add the hex codes for the most prominent colors back into CSet 4... so it's very close to truecolor transparency.  We're also sacrificing CSet 9 for enemy/Link CSet flashing reasons, so it is a bit tight on colors, but GB is low color anyway so it all works out.

• nicklegends, Shane, Chris and 1 other like this

#10 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:29 PM

Bagu
A very refreshing shot, to be certain. I love seeing what lengths people can take Zelda Classic to. :)

HeroOfFire
I feel cold just looking at this shot. I'd love to see it animated, since the snow makes the rest of the scene a little hard to make out in a static image.

Mitchfork
A really good shot. I agree with Anthus and Shane about the beautiful layering. I also like that the screen features symmetric and asymmetric elements to promote a sense of... organic balance, if that makes any sense? My only critique: I think the skeleton should be lit better to guide the player's attention toward it, since it's probably the most important feature of the room. As the shot is, I find myself looking at the fire rather than the creature behind it.

Orithan
The shot is plenty functional. I think some more attention to the boundaries between screen elements would take it to the next level. Specifically, I'm looking at the lava border and the gray square interfacing with the unwalkable crystals. I want to feel like the lava is haphazardly peeking through the earth rather than neatly laid out.

Voted for Mitchfork.
  • Bagu likes this

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:40 AM

Mitchfork
A really good shot. I agree with Anthus and Shane about the beautiful layering. I also like that the screen features symmetric and asymmetric elements to promote a sense of... organic balance, if that makes any sense? My only critique: I think the skeleton should be lit better to guide the player's attention toward it, since it's probably the most important feature of the room. As the shot is, I find myself looking at the fire rather than the creature behind it.

Hmm, I may agree with this.  I don't want to expand the radius any larger though since this creates other problems for the room (there's a teleporter that needs illumination that appears after the mini-boss is down and it would cause a lot of very odd overlaps).  Maybe something where the fire illuminates the skull of the skeleton?  Something like this perhaps.  This is just a quick Paint mockup but I can see this working with some animation added in.

OZlQv8S.png

• nicklegends, Twilight Knight and Bagu like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mitchfork, Bagu, HeroOfFire, Orithan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users