Photo

Screenshot of the Week 390

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Month 390 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

jetbox
IPB Image
A day at Water City

Sheik
IPB Image
Deepwoods

-DuCkTApE-
IPB Image
Whats beyond that pit?

Jared
IPB Image
I can haz Hookshot

#2 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

Shiek, no contest. The palette you went with seems a bit off though - the "shadow" colours (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) are a bit too red (shift the purple a bit towards the blue end), and combined with the low-contrast tree-trunk shades it gets very muddy. I think, from memory, the "black" in the mountain cset and the "black" in the tree trunk cset were pretty similar, if not identical, in the original palette. Here you've got the mountain black far darker than the trunk black, which makes the shot look very uneven (if you look at the tree on the left compared to its surroundings it looks very washed out). The purple water is fine (if a bit dark) if it's poisoned or magical or something, but if it's supposed to be regular water I'd make it more blue.

I'm going to be a jerk and tweak it a bit, then upload it. icon_razz.gif Shame you didn't save it with the original palette though.

EDIT:

Original:
IPB Image

My edit:
IPB Image

I balanced the contrast between the two csets and slightly toned down the mountain highlights.

EDIT 2:
And another edit for a crazy recolour, just for fun icon_razz.gif
IPB Image

Edited by NoeL, 26 November 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Change the title of this topic to Screenshot of the Year because that's what Sheik's screeenshot truly is.

#4 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Great suggestions NoeL! Also, the blue palette looks very nice. Good stuff.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sheik, didn't you have the same exact screen in another SoTW? or am I going crazy?

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I really don't think I did. I actually just put the new palette on an old screen. If the same screen was in competition earlier, please remove it from the poll. I might've posted it somewhere on the forums, though.

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Ah, that was probably it. My mistake. icon_smile.gif

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Nulling this week.

Jetbox: Cool concept, but the screen itself looks pretty boring.

Sheik: Here we have the shining example of how pretty graphics =/= good screens. I'm having trouble telling what's supposed to be going on in some places. Like under the cliffs on the left. Are those a ledge? Can you walk under it? It kinda looks like you can, but at the same time it doesn't. And if you can, Link looks too tall to fit... it's just very confusing. It might be the best of the bunch, but at the same time, I don't feel like it deserves to be SotW. It feels more like you're just trying to win the "Ooh, sparkly!" votes. Which is working out quite well for you, actually.

-DuCkTApE-: It's alright. Nothing special, but it's alright.

Jared: First, the tile errors with the mountains (the heights for the mountains on the bottom are all incorrect) throw off the perspective. Second, the water and the rock at the top left clash with the rest of the graphics you're using. And third... it just doesn't fit right. Don't get me wrong, the screen works fine for a quest, and I wouldn't be very critical of it otherwise, but it's nowhere near SotW-worthy.

#9 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Voted for Sheik. I'm not a big fan of those graphics, but I love the design of the screen.

#10 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Nov 26 2012, 04:08 PM) View Post

Sheik, didn't you have the same exact screen in another SoTW? or am I going crazy?
I am fairly certain he did, actually...

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 27 2012, 12:32 AM) View Post

Sheik: Here we have the shining example of how pretty graphics =/= good screens. I'm having trouble telling what's supposed to be going on in some places. Like under the cliffs on the left. Are those a ledge? Can you walk under it? It kinda looks like you can, but at the same time it doesn't. And if you can, Link looks too tall to fit... it's just very confusing. It might be the best of the bunch, but at the same time, I don't feel like it deserves to be SotW. It feels more like you're just trying to win the "Ooh, sparkly!" votes. Which is working out quite well for you, actually.

Yes he can walk under this the cliffs. That's what cave entrances look like. Not a 2x2 tiles hole in the moutain but an actual transition. That's the idea anyways.
Also, I don't care about the votes. I just felt like supporting the contest every once in a while. Sorry if I messed up. icon_shrug.gif

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Nov 26 2012, 08:56 AM) View Post

Great suggestions NoeL! Also, the blue palette looks very nice. Good stuff.

You're welcome.

QUOTE(Sheik @ Nov 27 2012, 12:52 AM) View Post

Yes he can walk under this the cliffs. That's what cave entrances look like. Not a 2x2 tiles hole in the moutain but an actual transition. That's the idea anyways.

I'd suggest making the cave entrance transition from grass to dirt (because grass doesn't grow in caves), and then fade to black (as there would be less ambient light in the cave). At the moment it's not obvious enough as a cave entrance.

#13 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

GOSH DARN IT SHEIK! SD3 TILESET IS ALWAYS GONNA WIN!!!!!111

But yeah. Sheiks screen = no contest. Obvious vote is obvious.

Edited by Zephyr_Eevee, 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Oh and Sheik, does this mean that that big Link is finished? icon_razz.gif

Jetbox - 8/10
LOVE the concept! Reminds me of that city in Hoenn in Pokemon. icon_smile.gif
I just feel it wasn't pulled off too well. Maybe new tiles for the boardwalk would help.

Sheik - 9/10
Very nice colors and design. SD3 is a very great tileset as well. Not much to say. icon_razz.gif Pretty waterfall too!

-Ducktape- - 7/10
I like it. Basic though. Enemies would definitely help.

#15 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I nulled this week, because nothing here was very much higher than a standard screen.

jetbox: 5.5/10

A very interesting concept, that I've actually tried myself in the past.

Unfortunately, this screen doesn't really pull it off too well; maybe try some different tiles for the boardwalk?

Ducktape: 6.5/10

Straightforward, well structured screen, that works well in a quest, but isn't anything that amazing.

Shiek: 5/10

Ooh look! A screen with pretty graphics, from a tileset that will most likely have no quests made out of it! icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously, I like the graphics, I just don't see a game being made from them.

Jared: 8/10

Very good screen, not much else I can say, except the hookshot posts look kinda flat, and the palette hurts my eyes, a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users