Photo

Screenshot of the Week 720

Russ Avaro Joelmacool Shane Yoshot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 720 (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

We've got five great shots this week. Which one will prevail? Yours could be the decisive vote!

Avaro
Avaro.png
Rainy and sunny, huh. Now where's the rainbow?

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
it's like 420 with an extra 300

Russ
Russ.png
As the sun sets above the Northern Sea, Kell searches for answers. But will he find what he seeks before time runs out...

Shane
Shane.png
Oh no, they move too!

Yoshot
Yoshot.png
Link looks out over the ledge after exiting the cave passage through the volcano.

• Hari and Matthew like this

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

Lots of classic shots this week! I dig it.

Avaro
It's a functional shot, to be sure, but I don't find it inspiring. Respectfully, I find Myrule more fun to play than to look at. :)

Joelmacool
The shadows, diversity in tree sizes, and multiple levels give this shot depth. (Did I say that last week also? Regardless, I like what you've done.)

Russ
The skillful use of color and dithering make for a pleasant sunset scene.

Shane
I love the construction of the tiles and the visual consistency in the shapes, shading, etc.; however, the difference in saturation between the blue water/green lily pads and everything else is a little jarring. It feels like one of those selective-color photographs. If the sand and rocks were a little less gray, the palette might be a little more pleasant. This is only my personal taste, though. All said, I think the shot is distinctive and memorable. I want to know more about this area!

Yoshot
Looks like a scary place! The spikiness of the lone tree reinforces this dangerous image. Maybe having something in the sky other than the flat gray ash would help the shot out a bit.

I ended up voting for Russ. Joelmacool gets an honorable mention (worth zero votes; sorry).
  • Russ, Shane and Hari like this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

None. [Because I liked them all too much to pick.]

Screen Reviews:

• Avaro: A fairly simple screen, but competently designed. The subscreen and its implications are cool.
  • Joelmacool: Super mystifying and cool, this feeling granted by the use of large trees.
  • Russ: The sunset really sells the shot. The color choices are the most compelling.
  • Shane: Cave screens are hard to make interesting, but the use of Minish Cap tiles really helps make it more appealing. Good job here.
  • Hookshot: Very clever use of classic, much like Russ. The shadows of the mountain are what makes this so engaging.

Edited by Matthew, 05 January 2020 - 09:41 PM.

• nicklegends, Shane, Avaro and 1 other like this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

Wow, this one was hard. I ended up voting for Russ, cause... well, come on, just look at it, it's beautiful!

Joel comes in at a really close second for me. Can you tell I like Classic yet?

The other ones are all good shots. I only have two minor critiques. For Shane's I would suggest possibly adding a darker blue shadow on the bottom of the lily pads on the water. It looks good, but it kinda looks like they are hovering over it. At the same time though, another blue might kind of break the GB look, now that I think about it.

For Yoshot's, I'd suggest making the darkest color in the lava fall a bright yellow or orange while replacing one of the other colors with a brighter red. This is all just personal preference of course, but it would make the lava pop a lot more.

Anyway, good shots this week.

• nicklegends, Shane and Hari like this

#5 Hiram Gooch

Hiram Gooch

• Members

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:51 AM

Haven't checked in for a while and lucky me, 4 classic tileset screen, so happy I had to leave my first ever comment
All great,(even the other one) but classics my weakness, Joelmacool edged it out with the caption
Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the submission process
  • Avaro likes this

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

Joel's shot speaks to me on a deep level. Really like how it looks, the palette is especially nice. The transparent shadow layer kinda looks like mist. I'd have used foggy tiles instead of these I guess, but still neat.

Nice shots everyone else too!

• Shane, Joelmacool and Hari like this

#7 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

For Yoshot's, I'd suggest making the darkest color in the lava fall a bright yellow or orange while replacing one of the other colors with a brighter red. This is all just personal preference of course, but it would make the lava pop a lot more.

In other words, he wants you to map for 1SM instead of 6th Quest contest.

• Hari likes this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Correct. :heh:
  • Hari likes this

#9 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:38 AM

Found it pretty hard to vote this week since all the screens are so good, but ended up voting for Joelmacool.

Some comments on the other screens:

Avaro: I really dig the palette! The screen design is quite simple, but effective. Perhaps what could make it better is putting some large trees between the smaller trees, but that's not true to the classic tileset, so I can understand if you don't want to do that.

Joelmacool: I really like the detailing and the perfect composition! And I'm always a fan of the "transparent forest foliage overlay", it can do so much for a forest screen.

Russ: The "layers" in the mountains are absolutely great. Like mentioned by Nicklegends, the coloring and dithering is brilliant. A truly beautiful scene!

Shane: Damn, those graphics are great. I also really like this idea of the lilypad puzzle. The palette is also very pleasing. All in all a great screenshot.

Yoshot: Very interesting and unusual design, but I like it a lot. It's a bit hard to grasp the perspective though, but it's nothing you should have to fix in my opinion. Also I need to mention that I really like those pink-ish "rocks" you used on the right side of the screen to kinda determine the flow of the lava. That is really clever!

• Shane, Avaro, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#10 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:53 PM

Yoshot: Very interesting and unusual design, but I like it a lot. It's a bit hard to grasp the perspective though, but it's nothing you should have to fix in my opinion. Also I need to mention that I really like those pink-ish "rocks" you used on the right side of the screen to kinda determine the flow of the lava. That is really clever!

I actually picked up that trick from a Terraria building tutorial of all things, lol.
Basically, when you have a waterfall or lavafall, you can make it more visually interesting by putting rocks in it and having the water/lava divert around them. :)

Edited by Yoshot, 10 January 2020 - 09:55 PM.

• Twilight Knight likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Russ, Avaro, Joelmacool, Shane, Yoshot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users