Photo

Screenshot of the Week 58

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

PolygonX8: When I pick out your custom edits from this screen, they look very nice, but I think the BS tiles clash way too badly with the Metroid theme. Still, these are your best custom edits to date from what I've seen.

Er... Radien... they are not edits. I made all those sprites from scratch. The hatch is shrunk down, and the scenery tiles are ripped except a few BS. I think the grass looks rather nice though, but I guess it's just the trees...
>.>

PX8:
I love the custom tiles, everything looks magnificent (sp?). Though, it would have looked better if it didn't use BS graphics. Not becasue they're bad, but to me, they don't really suit a Metroid quest. They're a bit to...I dunno, bright I guess.

Well... newfirst just wouldn't work. I think the grass is great as it is, I mean... I've never seen any better grass tiles... but I guess the trees could change.

IF you have any trees or grass you think would be better and would suit the shot more, send them to me via a PM or email.

PolygonX8 - Ugh. The tiles clash very badly. And the shot just looks plain weird. It's like, overhead and like sidescroller both in the same shot... well it's tough to explain but I just don't like PolygonX8's graphical style. The tiles are ok and the sprites are pretty good as usual, but I just can't stomach these kinds of shots. (Sorry, nothing personal Poly, you're a cool guy.)
4 / 10

Well, anything else that made it look like overhead would probably not fit well into a Metroid quest. And, I'm using the Metroid tiles. I know what you mean by the sidescrolling thing, but if you can look at the tiles differently, they could be overhead.
Even though the graphics don't really suit you, I hope you play the quest. It's gameplay is excellent, and it is actualy a MEtroid quest... unlike my last three.

Ther is a demo out, if you aren't aware of it. IT can be found in CQD. icon_smile.gif

Well... I'm going to send one more for next week.

#32 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:11 PM

Hmm... at first I was confused when I went and saw Ian's shot on the main page, but it looks like we got one more last minute vote. Well, the poll went on several days longer than it usually would, but Ian and I were tied at least once before anyway, so I guess it's a fair award. icon_smile.gif And why should I complain? Now we have an extra entry in SOTM!! w00t!! icon_w00t.gif

*offers Ian a congratulatory handshake* icon_smile.gif Good job, man.

PolygonX8 wrote:
Er... Radien... they are not edits. I made all those sprites from scratch. The hatch is shrunk down, and the scenery tiles are ripped except a few BS. I think the grass looks rather nice though, but I guess it's just the trees...
>.>

I'm sorry, that was purely a slip of the tongue on my part. The term "custom edits" is used so much here that I tend to mistakenly attribute the word to anything not ripped from another source. Y'know, come to think of it, on my PC, my original creations are actually sitting in a folder marked "custom tiles..." >.> So, um, yeah... "good job on your original tiles; they're among your best to date." There. icon_smile.gif

Well... newfirst just wouldn't work. I think the grass is great as it is, I mean... I've never seen any better grass tiles... but I guess the trees could change.

IF you have any trees or grass you think would be better and would suit the shot more, send them to me via a PM or email.

Changing the trees would be a good idea, but grass is grass, so you probably don't need to change the grass tiles... but... I'd strongly recommend changing the palette. BS's colors for greenery are blindingly bright compared to the Metroid games'.

Noel wrote:
Oh and Raiden, just for the record she's not a Kokiri girl, she's Link and Malon's daughter, Maya (aint she the cutest?) Oh and Serenia looks pretty cool too, did you draw her?

Okay, noted. I was just guessing because I've seen other Kokiri among your original tiles. I suppose we all have our various excuses for creating a character who wears green... icon_heh.gif

And yep, I created Serenia's tiles mostly from scratch. As usual I started off with a sprite from a game (this one was just a tiny face shot from SD3) and edited it heavily until all that was recognizable from the original was the skeleton. That was mostly for the front shots, though... the side view tiles are about 95% from scratch.

Noel wrote:
I realise my tiles are bright, and that they arent packed with detail, but personally i like the feel they have. dont worry though, the quest doesnt have an "overworld" so you wont have to look at this colourset for half the game like most other quests. also i didnt want to pack the screen with leaves and tufts of grass etc because personally i hate crowded screens, like Radien's (sorry bud)

Oh, I have no complaints about your tile content. They could use some refining, but they still look very good. All we're really complaining about for the most part are the colors. icon_shrug.gif That "grass green" color is blinding, and brighter than anything you'd find in Wind Waker, let alone in nature. Since there are so many good things that can be said about your tiles, that's why I'm emphasizing this one view.

And my screen being crowded? Well, it is thus because I had a lot of elements I wanted to use to characterize the scene: big trees, canopy shadows from the forest edge, chickens (you can't have eggs without 'em), and the garden of the person who lives there. I thought it was a bit crowded, too, when I finished it, but when I showed it to other people, none of them even mentioned it until now, so I thought it'd be okay. icon_shrug.gif

#33 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:22 AM

Changing the trees would be a good idea, but grass is grass, so you probably don't need to change the grass tiles... but... I'd strongly recommend changing the palette. BS's colors for greenery are blindingly bright compared to the Metroid games'.

Want to know something odd? That isn't BS palettes. It's Super Metroid's Brinstar palette. icon_lol.gif What trees do you recommend? Big and small?

#34 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(PolygonX8 @ Jun 22 2004, 09:22 PM)
Want to know something odd? That isn't BS palettes. It's Super Metroid's Brinstar palette. icon_lol.gif What trees do you recommend? Big and small?

Really? Well, so much for that, then. icon_confused.gif I guess it might have something to do with the tiles...

I don't know what I'd recommend, but Metroid makes me think of jungle environment. Perhaps that's just from what I've seen in Metroid Prime. But in any case, I haven't seen much jungle greenery out there in loose tiles... just swamp. icon_shrug.gif

P.S. - Have you considered using the tall grass from the Pure set? If you don't want to have cuttable grass, you could just remove the "tall grass" attribute. Personally I think it'd still look good even if Samus doesn't have to wade through it. Perhaps you could start with that tile and edit it to your liking. I said "grass is grass," but I'm starting to think not all grass tiles out there are the same.

Edited by Radien, 23 June 2004 - 12:49 AM.

#35 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:47 PM

Well, this isn't similar to Prime in graphics aspects. You should really, really, play Super Metroid and Zero Mission. icon_smile.gif

Pure's grass? Isn't it a bit of an update of the current one I'm using? Hmm...

Earlier today I tried other grass. Newfirst... god... that was horrible. It ws just green tiles with only a few parts coming out, and the trees definetely didn't fit in...

What I'm going to try is to change the trees to the old NES ones, and edit them and make them shaded.

I'd just like to know what to fix that was the graphics are enjoyable for everybody and so it doesn't look that weird.

#36 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:04 AM

PolygonX8:

Maybe I'd better stop giving advice here. icon_shrug.gif My Metroid knowledge has run out. I just think the BS tiles should be replaced. But now that I look at it again, it's mostly the bush/trees that look odd. The grass isn't too bad.

I also wasn't looking closely enough; your tall grass, as opposed to your short grass, is indeed a slightly different version of the Pure tall grass.

NES trees? Would that be NES Metroid (didn't know it had any), or LoZ?

I'm done with advice here... just asking out of curiosity now...

Oh, by the way. The darker greenery on the walls looks great. The screen's a little flat, but I suspect you're doing that for consistency's sake (otherwise you'd have a whole lot more custom edits on your hands).

#37 ghost_61435

ghost_61435

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

Great pics for this one!

LinktheMaster: This shot looks great with all that lava!

Ian: This one almost got my vote. It seems so... soothing.

PolygonX8: I guess it was my love for Metroid, or maybe the cleverness and color. Regardless, this is the one that won me over and got my vote (it looks like I was in one of the minorities! icon_razz.gif )

Jaivaz: Looks great. The rocks are cool as well as the waterfall. That version of Link looks good too.

Raiden: The image is a little sharp for my liking. Still good, nonetheless.

Mr. Z: That Ganondorf (not Gannondorf (ghost_61435 was GANNON-BANNED to the EVIL JAR!!! icon_lol.gif )) looks awesome!

Hero Link: Very clever, but the 3D-ish tiles don't go entirely well with the Classic Tileset.

NoeL: Good, but like with Raiden, a little too sharp.

UpbeatPenguin: Nice ice room! Smart of you to incorperate (sp?) those pits-with-land-underneath-them tiles from the GameBoy!

Edited by ghost_61435, 26 June 2004 - 07:50 PM.

#38 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(Praethus @ Jun 21 2004, 01:18 PM)
We have a tie.  Here's what I'm going to do.  Both will be entered in SOTM.  I will put one pic on the main page today, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  Sometime Thursday, I will change it to the other and let it run until next week's winner is declared.  And I currently need shots for SOTW59.  I don't think I have any.

ghost_61435, this SOTW's voting is already over. Praethus already announced the winner. They were just discussing about Polygon's shot.

#39 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(ghost_61435 @ Jun 26 2004, 04:49 PM)
Raiden: The image is a little sharp for my liking. Still good, nonetheless.

*is a little confused about what "sharp" means* icon_confused2.gif

High-contrast? Sharp edges? Not enough shading?...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users