• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

Sooo we got a teaser for a Breath of the Wild sequel!! What do you guys think?!

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Shane and 4 others like this

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:50 AM

I fully expected a new Zelda game using Breath of the Wild's engine. I did not expect an actual direct sequel. I am incredibly eager to see more and I'm hoping it doesn't take four years to release from announcement like BotW did. Also short-haired Zelda is my life now. I hope she's playable or at least is a companion character.

• Adem, Shane and Jared like this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

I was completely shook when I saw the teaser ngl. Lots of stuff happened in a few seconds so I've just been speculating on a whole load of stuff in the last day or so lmao. But yeah I'm really liking the unsettling and sinister tone that this is showing so far. According to this tweet I found, this aims to be darker than MM from the looks of things. Seems promising to me.

Zelda as a playable character would be really cool to see alongside with Link, I'd like that a lot tbh. As of now, hype is pretty damn high. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

• Shane likes this

#4 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

When you haven't even played the original and the sequel is announced.

And darker than Majora's Mask? The game where people learn to accept death, the moon is threatning to kill everything, Link sends people to the afterlife by freeing their anguished souls from the mortal world and giving them peace? I'm in.

Edited by Norzan, 12 June 2019 - 09:31 AM.

• Jared likes this

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

To be fair, I feel like they made the same claim about Twilight Princess, and... yeah...

Anyway, I did some slight analysis on the trailer. Starting at around 39 seconds, yes, that's absolutely Ganondorf's theme they're sampling. I also slowed down those quick flashes to try to see if there was more to it, but really, I just saw the same things I thought I saw, only slower. The odd glowing arm grabs Link's wrist, Link and Zelda seem to get separated by broken ground, makes me wonder if we'll end up playing as Zelda having to rescue Link this time.

And I am so here for this, if that's the case.

However, I would also be fine with her as a companion, and especially if they end up announcing this is their basis for a co-op mode. More than anything, I'm just curious where the game will take place. I hope it's not just the same Hyrule as Breath of the Wild, because, much as I loved that world, I'd rather explore it in its original game. Even if they updated, we all remember that was a lot of ground to cover, so just give us a new world please. Maybe Hyrule Castle's flying off somewhere else.

• Jared likes this

#6 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

I was expecting this honestly, and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed. I feel like this will be released around 2021-2022. It's too far off to give an exact release date, however it's close enough that they can show us a trailer. Since they are still using BotW's engine and a few of the same models/textures, they don't even need to develop those parts of the game which may cut down a sizable amount of development time.

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

Some unorganized thoughts ahead. :P

This looks really neat! It looks like this game might explore the concept of life. The green seems to represent souls or pure life, it was even seen and described in Breath of the Wild where luminous stones were said to contain souls and how the Sheikah monks departed with a green glow. There seems to even be the stones around the cave.

Also based on the actual quote... It said the trailer seems a little darker than Majora's Mask and that it will not use inspiration from Majora's Mask. I'm not getting my hopes up but I hope we do get some creepiness with the Redead Ganondorf (what I'm calling him for now lol). This Ganondorf also seems to be a nice contrast to the potential theme of life and the malice looks to be parasitic in nature, especially considering what happened with Lanayru in Breath of the Wild.

I wonder if the castle is floating or not. They cut pretty early on meaning it could be that supposed underground structure they might be in or something else entirely. I kinda hope it turns into Ganon's Castle and we get a dark world version of Hyrule (maybe even with the blood moon/malice effects). It would be a really cool twist if we're basically exploring Hyrule. Potentially we will be exploring caves and dungeons this time around too. I loved the Divine Beasts, Shrines were okay but actual dungeons would be kind of nice now. At worst, I'm expecting copy and paste looking caves. I'm not really going in with any expectations or hopes, I'm trying to keep it minimal. 

I noticed Link's setup is a mix between Champion and Hylian tunic, I wonder if they're ditching the clothing system. There's nothing to suggest it but seems weird to merge two tunics like that. I would totally be in favour of a skill tree system. Also wonder how the Master Sword will play into it, I wonder if it's to do with his hand, or something happens to it we haven't seen yet or as TS suggested, we don't even play as Link but Zelda herself.

At first I thought the hand was Sheikah in nature, but it looks to be Gerudo with the swirls even forming Gerudo letters. I wonder then if this is the Gerudo's doing or maybe even the Yiga, which I hope they explore more and take seriously as their backstory and just being an anti-Sheikah tribe is just too neat to pass up. I guess we will find all this out someday. :P

I'm thinking this is more complete than they're letting on. The engine is done, they might potentially reuse a lot of the world and that means a lot of the major work has been done for them and they can focus on giving us dungeons and new content. I kinda hope for a new world but I have doubts, it looks like a literal direct sequel which I'm not entirely against. I just hope they reuse the overworld wisely as the element of new discoveries was one of Breath of the Wild's greatest things. 2020 release feels unlikely if only because they would have shown more, I think. 2021-2022 I could see happening.

• Jared likes this

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:21 AM

Redead Ganondorf (what I'm calling him for now lol)

I've taken to calling him "Shriveldorf" myself.

#9 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:02 PM

Thoughts:

magic (torches?) takes a shield slot: i.e. Din's fire-esque

there is a hookshot

boots for sinking/hovering

forging weapons is an option

dungeons under the divine beasts: volcano, reservoir, desert, sky???

ocarina to control weather effects/enemy behavior

skull kid

old gigantic versions of NES bosses rampage the world and you have to horse battle things like lanmolas, patras and gleeoks

blue ring/red ring with durability (they eventually shatter)

The reason they venture to the cave is to check on the triforce, which ganon got a hold of in the first place. They discover him clinging to life due to the triforce of power, then zelda and link get the other two triforce pieces: courage and wisdom. The game is about returning the triforce pieces to deep dungeons so that no one else can discover them and use their power OR so that some immense machine network designed by the Sheikah can protect hyrule once again from evil. Ganon is chasing you the whole time. I don't know.. why not

edit to mention that you hookshot around giant bosses like in attack on titan, with time freeze as you aim for new spots.

Edited by peteandwally, 13 June 2019 - 11:05 PM.

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

Zeltik has posted a pretty solid analysis.

https://www.youtube....h?v=P41zDDqjsbI

#11 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

Zeltik has posted a pretty solid analysis.

https://www.youtube....h?v=P41zDDqjsbI

That was pretty good. All the references also mirror characters in the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series (Heboric Ghost Hands and Anomander Rake in the Moon's Spawn). if you aren't familiar with the series of books, they are amazing, and I hope they have inspired the sequel in some way.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

Surprise! Looks like it's even more expanded than I expected. Which... well, yeah. Good. Seems playable Zelda is out of the question... for now... but while I'm a little upset by that, the gameplay itself looks awesome enough that I'm still into the game. Also like, it's a Zelda game, I was going to buy it regardless.

• Adem, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:18 PM

In celebration of this classic BotW prerelease meme I have given it my own spin for this game:

46e.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users