help screen state carryover continue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:37 PM

Alright, the first problem, the one I can't really get around, is that, for continuing, it continues at the wrong spot. It will not continue at the dungeon entrance if i come in to the floor from a different doorway. I am using multiple floors for this dungeon, which means multiple maps.

Second problem, I can't get the screen state carryovers to work properly. I've tried everything I can think of in order to get it to trigger the secret I want, which is opening the pathway to getting to the boss room. Does it matter what Dmap they are on? As each floor is it's own Dmap, even if it's the same level, can I not have the triggers on the different floors as long as the Screen Data on Screen State Carry Over is the same? If not, I can deal with it and change what I have to have them on the same Dmap, I would rather not have to do that though as I'd have to redo a few things :P

Anyways, thats the problems I have at the moment that's preventing my level from being playable. Everything else is smooth sailing thusfar from what I can tell.

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:19 AM

Second problem: Is either screen an NES dungeon DMap? Secrets are DMap-independent so different levels shouldn't matter. And I'm just gonna assume you are entering the map number and not the DMap number in the carryover entry?

#3 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

No, they are both BS-Overworld maps not NES dungeon Dmaps. And yes I am using the map number not the Dmap number

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:59 AM

First problem: you only need to check the "continue here" flag on the entrance floor of the dungeon. Uncheck it on the other floors, so if Link dies he will be taken back to the entrance floor.

Second problem: not sure. Are you maybe entering the screen number relative to the Dmap, instead of to the Map?

Edited by Jamian, 17 December 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

Here's a tip, but a not so useful one. For the 2nd problem. I find if I run into problems where "it should work", and even the people helping you seem to not make any sense why it's not working, try troubleshooting your work on a new game file. This has worked for me to resolve the strangest of problems.

(And I don't mean Global script related or any script related issue either).

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 17 December 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#6 Dwarlen

Dwarlen

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

For the second problem. Are you using block puzzles to trigger the secrets? If so make sure that Link has to step on a step->perm secret combo after he completes the block puzzle. Otherwise the secret is considered temporary and won't carry over.

#7 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

First problem: you only need to check the "continue here" flag on the entrance floor of the dungeon. Uncheck it on the other floors, so if Link dies he will be taken back to the entrance floor.

Second problem: not sure. Are you maybe entering the screen number relative to the Dmap, instead of to the Map?

First problem: I have it continuing on the right floor, just at the wrong spot. i have the continue set up so that it only continues on the proper floor where the dungeon entrance is, and have it corrisponding to the right screen that I want it to, but it just ignores it and has you continuing at the wrong screen. It continues at the last screen you entered the map on rather than at the proper entrance.

Second problem: I have it currently set up relavant to the map rather than the Dmap, just like i would for making the tile warps go to the proper screen. But I have tried using both, the Map screen number and the Dmap screen number.

Here's a tip, but a not so useful one. For the 2nd problem. I find if I run into problems where "it should work", and even the people helping you seem to not make any sense why it's not working, try troubleshooting your work on a new game file. This has worked for me to resolve the strangest of problems.

(And I don't mean Global script related or any script related issue either).

Do you mean copying the entire dungeon and placing it on a new quest file ?

#8 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

For the second problem. Are you using block puzzles to trigger the secrets? If so make sure that Link has to step on a step->perm secret combo after he completes the block puzzle. Otherwise the secret is considered temporary and won't carry over.

No, I'm using tiggers, as in hit the triggers to activate the secret. The hit triggers work perfectly and don't reset, but they don't activate the secret I want them to.
I want the player to find and hit all 4 triggers throughout the level, which would activate the secret tiles (secret tile 16) that will allow them to reach the warp point for getting to the boss room.

#9 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

First problem: I have it continuing on the right floor, just at the wrong spot. i have the continue set up so that it only continues on the proper floor where the dungeon entrance is, and have it corrisponding to the right screen that I want it to, but it just ignores it and has you continuing at the wrong screen. It continues at the last screen you entered the map on rather than at the proper entrance.

Are you using the Entrance/Exit warp type to switch between floors? That would be the problem. Change it to an insta-warp with the desired transition effect instead.

#10 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Are you using the Entrance/Exit warp type to switch between floors? That would be the problem. Change it to an insta-warp with the desired transition effect instead.

Ahh, yes, I do have it set to Entrance/Exit warp! Thankyou!

#11 Limebeer

Limebeer

• Members

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

Okay, update... I somehow got the secret to appear when I hit a trigger. Unfortunately I want it to be 4 separate triggers to hit in order for it to trigger. Is there a specific way to set it up, or is it only a one trigger screen per screen carry over?

Haven't tested the continue problem yet as I more want to get the mechanics working properly first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, screen state, carryover, continue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users