The Official Quest Screenshot Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13319 replies to this topic

#13306 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

Well, I'm going to post a screenshot I just whipped up for the sake of posting a screenshot here.

IPB Image

#13307 Jared

Jared

Lost at sea

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

Why should I write something nice when all he did was criticize?
I fixed them up though.

But, it WAS immature of me, i'm sorry Giggidy.

But, i'm not changing the tileset. I don't care what you like or not.
And that's what I should have said before.

#13308 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 7 2011, 05:11 PM) View Post

Why should I write something nice when all he did was criticize?

Are you joking?

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 7 2011, 05:11 PM) View Post

But, i'm not changing the tileset. I don't care what you like or not.
And that's what I should have said before.

The point of this topic is to give and except constructive criticism. Why would you post a screenshot if you weren't willing to graciously except what others criticized about it?

#13309 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

It's not about writing something nice or mean. It's about writing something that will help people improve their screenshots and overall design skills. If all we were to do were to say nice things about other people's work, it'd be nice in that we'd feel really good about ourselves. But it will never help you improve. Believe me, it's so much more rewarding to take the criticism and apply it to your work to make a real difference than to just receive compliments that while nice, don't actually help you further your skills.

I don't think the importance of criticism can be stressed enough. Yes, it may sting a little, but once one throw one's pride away and decide that this will help one improve one's work will become better. Oh so much better. If I hadn't, I'd be nowhere today.

Anyway, Zeebs, the screen looks really good. Simple, clean and open. I like it. Maybe change the colour of a tree or two to vary it up, but again, it's some darn nice work. icon_smile.gif

#13310 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Apr 7 2011, 06:03 PM) View Post

Well, I'm going to post a screenshot I just whipped up for the sake of posting a screenshot here.

IPB Image

I like this shot a lot. The palette is really nice and it has a good "transitional" feel, like you're getting closer to a forest. So its good that you didn't jam pack the area with trees. I also really like the use of the MC mushrooms. The only thing I would change is the tall grass. It's a little weird having just one patch on the whole screen, so I would put a small patch on the left side or near the bottom.

#13311 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Apr 7 2011, 05:03 PM) View Post

IPB Image

I like it; the colors all blend together nicely. The one thing I would change is the usage of that same tree, the one in the forest-brush. I'd either change the colors of some of the trees, or add some more tree variety. Overall, it's pretty nice.

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Apr 7 2011, 05:20 PM) View Post

It's not about writing something nice or mean. It's about writing something that will help people improve their screenshots and overall design skills. If all we were to do were to say nice things about other people's work, it'd be nice in that we'd feel really good about ourselves. But it will never help you improve. Believe me, it's so much more rewarding to take the criticism and apply it to your work to make a real difference than to just receive compliments that while nice, don't actually help you further your skills.

I don't think the importance of criticism can be stressed enough. Yes, it may sting a little, but once one throw one's pride away and decide that this will help one improve one's work will become better. Oh so much better. If I hadn't, I'd be nowhere today.

QFT

#13312 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Apr 7 2011, 04:20 PM) View Post

Anyway, Zeebs, the screen looks really good. Simple, clean and open. I like it. Maybe change the colour of a tree or two to vary it up, but again, it's some darn nice work. icon_smile.gif

Yes, Lynker, Midnight_King, and newer members should copy this and paste it in notepad so that they can remember it.

also, Zebrastallion, that's a great shot. Nice, simple, and effective. I love the tree placment and the palette is like the best overworld palette for Pure Remembrance. Great job! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 07 April 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#13313 Jared

Jared

Lost at sea

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Apr 7 2011, 12:53 AM) View Post

The grass still looks pretty bad. As does... everything else really.

Then how is this helping my screen?
Not a suggestion, or anything. He just says it all looks bad.

#13314 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

ok everyone, enough!
stop complaining about the critics you receive, god.
Not even every person will like you screens,choises, etc, LIVE WITH IT.

if you dont like the suggestion, just dont do it. You should be thanking them for trying to help you.

And please, dont reply to this post, being agreeing or desagreeing with me, let's just end this stupidity here!

@ZebraStallion, i like the screen, and i wouldnt change anything. But that's just me. I Wish i had nice screen like that to show off here...

#13315 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys!

So things I need to change/add:
- Another grass patch
- More tree variation
- More color variation

And then it's good?

#13316 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Lynker, you trust me don't you? Please accept the criticism. Believe me, it will make you a lot better in the long run. I accepted criticism, and that's what got me where I am today in designing. I don't have a problem with the tileset, but the reason I don't use it is because I can't, the graphics aren't exactly user friendly. I takes a lot of work to make anything for it as far as custom tiles go. I'm not saying you can't use it buddy, all I'm saying is that it wouldn't be my first choice. I'm trying to help, please don't get upset when people tell you something's wrong with what you do. Do you know that if I'd have done that in the beginning, that I wouldn't be as good as I am today? I hope you don't get mad at me for any of this, all I'm trying to do is help..do you understand buddy?

#13317 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

Lynker: To me, it seems the issue was more with the tileset choice than design. Looking at it, the design is alright, but the tileset suffers a lot of issues. (Though they were all already mentioned) To me, it seems more like the palette being a major issue, but then again, I've never worked with the OIII set.

Now, if you like the set, that's fine. Go with what you want to do. In the end, you should be making a quest for yourself and you should have fun along the way. But please please please accept criticism even if you don't use it. Accepting it and applying it are two different things. You don't have to apply it since it's your game. But believe me, even if it isn't the most direct, it can still help and pave a path to becoming better.

I guess the best way I can sum it up is this:

People taking time out of their days to comment on a screen are most likely doing so to help other people become better at what they do. (Even if it doesn't appear that way, it's basically what's happening 'under the hood' so to speak)

EDIT: Dang. Ninja'd something like 3 time over. D:

Zeebs, yeah. I mean, it's fine now, but a little extra variation can always spice something up some, non?

#13318 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

yeah, that would make the screen even better. icon_wink.gif

i dont know about the need of another grass patch, it doesnt really matter to me, not that its a bad thing, just that it makes no difference to me.

#13319 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

Lynker, I suggest watching your tone when recieving criticism. It seems like all the work you put in you immediately feel that it's for naught as soon as you receive criticism, but nothing is for naught as it's a learning experience for the next attempt! No skill is instant as it requires patience and time to learn all the ropes and excel at it. Take me, for example - It took two to three years for me to get where I am now, and I'm still learning some things here and there. How did I do it? I learned from reading what my critics said, especially those were constructive, practiced and observed other works, and didn't let unfortunate things stop me. How unfortunate? I had a flash drive die in 2006 which had a promising tileset and quest in progress, but I even though I lost all that work I continued on and still made things.

So be kind to those who criticize and your progress will go faster. icon_wink.gif

#13320 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Forum Moderators

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

Some of you guys are going to hate me for this, but I feel it is necessary, considering the long term nature of the situation in here. This bickering over the past month in this topic, which appears to have no end in sight, has gotten way too out of hand. For that reason, I am going to lock this thread temporarily, and give you guys some time to stop and think more about why I locked it. I (or another on staff) will say more when it has been decided by us to reopen this, which will happen when us staff decide what else to do about this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users