Enemy of the Month Announcements and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

We decided to make a general thread for discussing the contest. Feel free to ask questions, give feedback, offer ideas, and discuss anything relating to the contest. :)

Remember to check out the current contest, EotM 22! This time the theme was No Limit, so be sure to follow up on the madness. We have entries from SUCCESSOR, ywkls, Lejes, and last but not least, Orithan! We are also getting ready for the next contest, which will feature a Human/ NPC theme. You can check it out here.

#2 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

This is a great topic to feature updates to the contest rather than have updates all posted in their own individual topics. That's what I'll be using this topic for. 

#3 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:01 AM

In Regards to Deadlines:

This is something I should have covered earlier, but I had not anticipated that we'd be short on submissions this suddenly, and thus coming to a decision on what to do with these delays came a bit tricky for me, mainly because I know these delays does nothing but loses community trust and confidence in this contest as a whole. But also I feel it's important for the contest to have integrity and not settle for less than adequate submissions to push it ahead. Also, aggressive and persistent bumping is not only annoying, but communicates that we are desperate for submissions which will also cause the forum to lose confidence and trust in this contest, so we don't be doing that either.

The reality of the situation is with these contests, we do have to face it that mainly only Screenshot of the Week gets the kind of activity today that the forum usually expects and anticipates and that EotM is often a difficult contest to prepare for. My point is that we've grown to expect other contests to have the same level of hype and standards of SotW. I could see this as a very discouraging prospect for many people when other contests such as this one performs not as well.

Therefore, I'm developing a plan to deal with submission droughts and delays based on the following things to consider (It's marked as hidden since many people wants to skip the details and get straight to the point):

How we are approaching EotM that's gone past deadline:

So now that I've gone through the details, I figure it's best now to just get to the point. The contest from this date on will not go ahead until we have at least 3 submissions. This is what I feel what will make a fair amount for a healthy EotM. Once a deadline has past and we do not have enough submissions. The deadline will be delayed for a few days. If even after a few days that we still do not have enough submissions, the contest will continue to be delayed with reminders of how past due the contest is. As time continues, delay dates and reminders will be extended from weeks ahead to even longer. But reminders will always include how many days the contest has been delayed due to lack of submissions to remind people that it's still a living contest. 

Fans of EotM will continue to be reminded that even though there are no obligations to submit an enemy, it is the only way to move the contest forward without sacrificing the integrity of the competition. Therefore the pace at which those reminders will continue will be as frequent or infrequent as necessary. 

Thanks for understanding. 

• Anthus likes this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Hey. Just wanted to drop a line to let the community know I will not be helping with the contest anymore.

I want to make it clear right now though, that nothing 'happened'. There's no big drama bomb to expose, or dumb argument or anything like that, I just simply don't wanna do it. My hearts not really in it, and I haven't really contributed too much anyway with the last two contests.

My co-host, NJF has taken it way more seriously than me, and he really wants the contest to grow. I think it has great potential still, and I think Grant will continue to do a good job. We talked about it, and he said that he will go ahead an run it solo, but if he wants to get help down the road, he might. I don't wanna speak for him too much though. :P

So, thanks guys, it has been a fun ride so far. :)

• Eddy, Avataro and NewJourneysFire like this

#5 Matthew

Matthew

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Well thank you for doing it so far, good luck on any future projects! (And on your date ;) )
  • Anthus and SkyLizardGirl like this

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

I want to make it clear right now though, that nothing 'happened'. There's no big drama bomb to expose, or dumb argument or anything like that.

Don't worry guys, nobody got murdered yet. lol

Spoiler

• Anthus and SkyLizardGirl like this

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

I decided to merge Anthus' announcement into the Enemy of the Month Announcements and Discussion. It feels like an appropriate move to do since we didn't really need another full topic since we already have an announcement topic for reasons like this. I'm sure Anthus won't really mind. 

• Anthus likes this

#8 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:21 AM

I've added a poll to this topic because I wanted to discuss a possibility of Enemy of the Year. I would really like to put previous submissions to the test and compete them against each other in their respective years. If the votes are in favor, I will only be selecting the Best Overall enemies for this, and I will probably be starting previous years quite soon actually if this does turn into a popular choice. 

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

Look what Photobucket has done to me! :( lol

So much work now fixing up all the previous Enemy of the Month topics... Because of course we all want to see those obnoxious 100% usage speedometer images. 

#10 Avataro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Look what Photobucket has done to me! :( lol

So much work now fixing up all the previous Enemy of the Month topics... Because of course we all want to see those obnoxious 100% usage speedometer images. 

It's only temporary, right? Maybe you can wait it out for past EotM pictures.

#11 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

It's only temporary, right? Maybe you can wait it out for past EotM pictures.

I think it's telling me that I've reached my limit to how many images I can share externally. It's probably going to want me to pay to upgrade the account and I got no plans to do that. 

#12 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

Just an announcement that themes will not be included until further notice. All EotM submissions will remain without themes until we can further figure out how we want to continue them in this contest. 

As a further update, EotM 27 has been rebooted as a No Theme contest. 

• ywkls likes this

#13 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

I'm going to close this topic, sorry Anthus, but I feel this topic cannot possibly reach it's potential due to the way this contest is designed. I feel these types of topics work best in contests that have more traffic and doesn't include theme discussions. EotM and it's successor however is best handled when announcements are made as brand new topics because it reaches a wider audience. My last announcement was criticized for not being included as a brand new topic, and I believe it's because this type of topic isn't best suited for EotM.

Right now, I just feel this topic is just adding to unnecessary clutter in the "pinned topic" section which I am trying to eliminate. So ya! RIP topic. 

If anybody has any questions about this matter, please get in contact with me.  

• Dimentio likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users