Posted 21 December 2021 - 03:37 AM

do you like star wars james twenty four

• Rambly, Taco Chopper, Jared and 1 other like this

#17 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2021 - 04:27 AM

Citation is needed for this. When money and sponsorship are involved, full disclosure is sorely needed. For all we know, this could be a scam for free labor.

I can confirm that James did pay OUCH! good money for Armageddon Quest 2; what James is offering is legit. Yes, I do know how much, but that information will be kept private. There is no doubt in my mind that there are other quests that James has sponsored with his money, however, I will never be able to confirm those.

I reveal this information because James has made this offer in other topics and some people still don't truly know if James is the real deal or not. This thread is the most straight forward of all; this is the job offer. If you want to know what quests James enjoys, and you don't already know, here is a list: Armageddon Quest, Armageddon Quest 2, Liberation of Hyrule, Liberation of Hyrule: Insanity Unchained, Dungeon Impossible DX, Gleeok's 5th quest, James Quest, Isle of Rebirth (on hard difficulty), Umbral Cloud (on hard difficulty), The Hero Without a Name, Demo Quest, and Making a Quest in 1.92 and Actually Finishing It (MaQi192aAFI) are some examples of what James is looking for. James is quite flexible and will even allow you to add in some content that he doesn't agree with. If you can come up with difficult creative combat focused quests, this might be a golden opportunity for you to make some real money.

Consider me helping you James with the possibly finding a potential quest designer to hire. It is always easier to spread the news when another person vouches for you. 

Lets make one thing clear, James and I are not buddies.

If you don't get the as many applications as you would like James, you should stop posting these kind of threads. Most of the responses on here are just people making fun of you. Talk may not have an affect on you James, but your repeated threads doesn't seem to be productive at all. To be fair, maybe you might get more private messages taking you up on your offer from each new thread. I realize that you are not intending on starting a conversation with this topic, but I want to share my thoughts on what your have posted in your other threads (That strongly relate to this thread).

Money is very important, however, it is not the primary reason as to why Zelda Classic seems to be less popular today as it was ten to twenty years ago. In fact, Zelda Classic isn't the only content creator community out there that creates games without getting paid. Lets just name a few that are known to me: Super Mario World ROM hacks have a community of their own, I Wanna be the Guy fan games have a huge community, Project M is possibly the most ambitious ROM hack of all time (done at the risk of getting in serious trouble with Nintendo and have gotten in serious trouble with Nintendo), AM2R is a Nintendo quality game that Milton Guasti made without getting paid (and got cease and desist after a very short time of release) SEGA reached out to top Sonic fan game creators to make Sonic Mania (sure that involved money, but those Sonic game creators didn't create those Sonic games in hopes that SEGA would reach out to them), and Mega Man has a good fan game community as well. People modify games all the time without getting paid; just look at Minecraft and Skyrim. Lets not forget about games that come with their own game editors: Mario Maker, LittleBigPlanet, Dreams, Super Meat Boy, RPG maker, Star Craft, War Craft, Smash Brothers Stage Builder, Roblox, Mine Craft, etc... Many people on this site probably knows a person or two who has programmed their own game without the expectation of making a profit. This is only touching the tip iceberg as to how many people create games for free. Some of the things on my list have taken more effort to create than 99% of all the quests in this database.

Sure some of those people move from free projects to making games for profit, but that is a huge minority.  

So why am I posting all of this nonsense? To prove a point. Money isn't the primary reason why people develop quests on this site. In a previous thread, made by you James, you had named specific members in the Zelda Classic community that have had quests canceled due to not getting paid. You said Zoria wouldn't make modular scripting unless he got paid a 5 digit fee. That is a game engine, not a quest. TheRock creating a game on Steam has nothing to do with a canceled quest. In fact, TheRock is very active in creating quests and has quite an impressive amount of quests in the database. Perhaps we should pretend that Bob's Quest 2 doesn't exist. You invited members to ask Evan as to the real reason why he canceled Inverse Mirror. Guess what, I did PM Evan; his answer didn't match with your theory. Seems like your FACTS are FICTION.

You go on and on about Zelda Classic dying James. It may by less popular now, but the reasons why are far more complicated than anything you have posted.

This post is a lot longer than what was expected and has gone off topic some, but I do want to say one more thing.

The one thing that we do have in common James is that we like to conquer difficult challenges in gaming. As we conquer one mountain, it takes a larger mounter to challenge us. After climbing so many mountains, we look down at the old mountains that once challenged us as child's play. It becomes more and more difficult to scratch that itch for challenge. It also becomes more and more difficult for us to create creative challenges for ourselves because we have seen so much in our lives. I suppose this is why you are using your hard earned money to satisfy your lust for another "Type B" experience.

Edited by Yloh, 21 December 2021 - 11:56 AM.

• Rambly, Nathaniel, Russ and 1 other like this

#18 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 21 December 2021 - 08:23 AM

I would have taken James up on his offer if I had any confidence I could design a full game, much less challenging combat scenarios. I do enjoy this type of quest; it's a sort of puzzle quest but the puzzles aren't your typical puzzles that you solve in a Zelda game; instead the puzzle is in figuring out how to get through a combat challenge. Think about it: several challenge quests involve using non-standard mechanics such as candle-boosting to avoid bubbles, or using a likelike to provide invincibility against an enemy that is stronger than you. Are these not, in a way, a sort of puzzle?

I would love to do this, but sadly I have zero confidence in my own ability to stick to a quest. I wouldn't want to get someone's hopes up that I might finish something and then only have 1 dungeon made. That said, I might be willing to talk.

#19 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2021 - 09:47 AM

I'll admit that I thought about taking up James' offer myself. Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool that James is making this offer to people.

I just wanted to make it crystal clear that not getting paid isn't the primary reason why Zelda Classic isn't the same today as it was in the past. If enough people can literally tell me themselves that they cancled their quests for not getting paid for their work, then I'll admit that I was wrong.

Until proven wrong, James' offer to pay "Type B" quest developers will not boost the popularity of Zelda Classic in a significant way. 

Edited by Yloh, 21 December 2021 - 12:02 PM.

#20 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 December 2021 - 04:20 PM

Until proven wrong, James' offer to pay "Type B" quest developers will not boost the popularity of Zelda Classic in a significant way.

Even if people are quitting Zelda Classic due to not being paid, I don't think paying for "Type B" quests will work. It's a niche genre, and people use Zelda Classic because they like Zelda which is way more multifaceted than what Type B quests offer and is something James heavily disapproves of. This weird endeavor will benefit James and whoever is desperate enough for his money (if they even get paid), but that's it really. It will not revitalize the scene. 

I can confirm that James did pay OUCH! good money for Armageddon Quest 2; what James is offering is legit. Yes, I do know how much, but that information will be kept private. There is no doubt in my mind that there are other quests that James has sponsored with his money, however, I will never be able to confirm those.

You'll have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical here, because the only cited source is from a quest by an author with mutual interest to James and holds similar sentiment based on their recent threads. I want to see the "several" quests James has sponsored before I can even begin to consider endorsing this kind of ludicrous idea. I've done my fair bit of research, the only Type B quest that has come out as of recent is Armageddon Quest 2, which is so far the only quest James and anyone else has been publicly open about. I want to see the other quests that prove this 100% completion rate.

With a subject like paid work being proposed here, a single written statement from someone who seems to be a fan of James' work isn't enough, sorry. I hope you understand this kind of caution and skepticism is warranted. If it's of any incentive, I know people who are considering taking on James' offer, but with no proof he will deliver on his end, they don't want to take it up. It's not like I'm in disbelief James could be rich, it's just that, James has presented himself in the worst way possible thus far.

Anyways, I'm mixed about this myself. I use ZC because I just use it for fun and to express any creativity I might have. I'd like to find better and probably safer ways to get paid.

• Mani Kanina, Yloh and Riflezen like this

#21 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:36 PM

If you can come up with difficult creative combat focused quests, this might be a golden opportunity for you to make some real money

I feel like replying to this thread with any layer of seriousness is more than it deserve, I want to make that clear up-front. James as done absolutely nothing but ruining his own reputation over the years, especially considering last time when he got banned for essentially mocking the entire userbase of this forum.

So, no, I'm not replying to the benefit of this thread, nor to the benefit of james, really; but for your sake. I feel like taking the time to go to bat for James here is an absolute waste for you, not because of any morals or anything, but simply put, if James wanted to curry favour with this community and open business relations with any one of it's many users, he's more than capable of doing so and speaking for himself. And naturally, he's very bad at it.

Even in the best case scenario here and James' is actually commissioning a quest to be made, I would imagine that he's vastly underpaying for the amount of work that it would be. Nonetheless, even that is beside the point, because he's not actually provided an offer here. He speaks as if he's offering a commission job yet not at all speaking of any details about it. A rough estimate of pre-negotation pay either by the hour or by complete product should have been upfront and center, the fact that it wasn't simply put suggests it's a scam (and I'm surprised the thread did not get locked for such).

While it's true that in the real world of hiring the matter of pay is not going to come up until negotiation, this is not the world of corporations, if so James should open a company and fill a real job ad on a job ad site. In the world of commissioning, accurately speaking and being honest and up-front is an requirement for good relations. And considering the levels of disdain James have repeatedly expressed that he feels about this userbase? He kinda failed that before he even made this thread, and if he wanted to rectify that, he sure as all hell has not taken any steps to do so.

Any James thread can have relevant or interesting discussion, but it always happens around James, for he keeps insisting on being immature and not engaging with it. So ergo, I don't see why you go to bat for him.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 21 December 2021 - 09:19 PM.

• Yloh and Riflezen like this

#22 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2021 - 06:32 PM

You bring up good points Shane and Mani Kanina.

You have every right to be skeptical Shane. 

Why would I go to bat for James Mani Kanina? Good question. Admittedly I try my best to see the good in everybody and my patience is quite high. I've read every recent thread that James posted and see how he likes to toy around with the community for his benefit. I hate the way he talks about being rich and then pulling back when someone confronts him. He is a power hungry maniac who values human life in terms of their usefulness. While my post may seem like it I was in full support of James' proposition, that is only half true. My main purpose for confirming James paying OUCH! was to take what little power I could take away from James. He can no longer say, maybe I'm rich or maybe I'm not, maybe you will get paid or maybe you won't. 

I have insider knowledge with Armageddon Quest 2 because I was one of the beta testers. For some strange reason, James actually thought I had a similar level of wealth to him. He actually tried to get me to pay OUCH! along with him. $40 an hour for every hour he worked on the quest. It ends up to being around $7,000 in U.S. dollars in total. When I refused to pay and told him that I wasn't wealthy, he started to belittle me. I told him I wouldn't tolerate it. We then had a week long back and fourth argument in a PM that should of only been used to talk about the development of Armageddon Quest 2. I actually tried to help James during that whole ordeal by telling him how he could better convince people to his view points. I bet you can figure out how that turned out.

My word may not be empirical evidence to support rather if James will truly pay people or not. That is ok because James presents himself to be a crappy human being on this site. I figured if anybody was planning on creating a difficult quest regardless of pay, they might of well take advantage of James and get some easy money.

Yes, James' offer does sound tempting, but I decided not to go along with it because it takes away what makes Zelda Classic fantastic. 100% freedom to make what I want. I do like James's and OUCH!'s quests, but I also like a lot of "Type A" quests. One of my absolute favorite quests is Lost Isle. I recently played 100 Rooms of Wisdom and loved it. I play games for both challenge and to get an interesting experience. 

I already made an enemy of James privately. I will not make an enemy of the Zelda Classic community as a whole. After reading Shane's and Mani Kanina recent posts my mind is made up. I'm through giving you the benefit of the doubt James. I'm done walking on the fence line; time for me to pick a side. I'm am not James' sidekick. 

So yeah, let me challenge you James. Who else did you pay to make a quest? How do I truly know that you paid OUCH!? If we don't get several people coming forward themselves with what quest they made for you and if the pay was worth it, then this thread is another garbage James thread. 

Edited by Yloh, 21 December 2021 - 06:56 PM.

• Shane, Haylee and Riflezen like this

#23 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2021 - 08:07 PM

The one thing that we do have in common James is that we like to conquer difficult challenges in gaming. As we conquer one mountain, it takes a larger mounter to challenge us. After climbing so many mountains, we look down at the old mountains that once challenged us as child's play. It becomes more and more difficult to scratch that itch for challenge. It also becomes more and more difficult for us to create creative challenges for ourselves because we have seen so much in our lives.

Stop calling me out without calling me out! :goof: This hits hard. I feel like a drug addict chasing higher and higher 'mountains' only to find the number of peaks left that  cause the same satisfaction upon reaching the summit is diminishing to nearly nothing. But ultimately, I feel this is what it means to live. To find and climb mountains, in whatever medium or framework or lens you want to view it through in any aspect of life. The struggle of overcoming a difficult goal followed by the triumph of doing so is the ultimate assertion of self and validation to one's own psyche. By nature we constantly seek to better ourselves in various ways and a small percentage of ZC players have just chosen this to be as suitable an area as any for mountainclimbing, so to speak.

EDIT: I strongly recommend Guilty Gear Strive's arcade mode's hidden path for a fantastically steep and slippery mountain for those so inclined to chase those things. You will not regret it if you pull that thread all the way to the end. :bounce:

Edited by Evan20000, 21 December 2021 - 08:13 PM.

• Russ and Yloh like this

#24 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 21 December 2021 - 10:55 PM

I have insider knowledge with Armageddon Quest 2 because I was one of the beta testers. For some strange reason, James actually thought I had a similar level of wealth to him. He actually tried to get me to pay OUCH! along with him. $40 an hour for every hour he worked on the quest. It ends up to being around $7,000 in U.S. dollars in total. When I refused to pay and told him that I wasn't wealthy, he started to belittle me. I told him I wouldn't tolerate it. We then had a week long back and fourth argument in a PM that should of only been used to talk about the development of Armageddon Quest 2. I actually tried to help James during that whole ordeal by telling him how he could better convince people to his view points. I bet you can figure out how that turned out.

So yeah, let me challenge you James. Who else did you pay to make a quest? How do I truly know that you paid OUCH!? If we don't get several people coming forward themselves with what quest they made for you and if the pay was worth it, then this thread is another garbage James thread.

He could have been trying to scam you and pressure you to pay OUCH! By pretending he was rich and going to do so also. It is really hard to know if what people say is true or not. It can be pretty easy to scam people I've seen it happen a lot in real life.
  • Taco Chopper, Shane and Yloh like this

#25 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:23 AM

It doesn't matter anymore. I made the right decision to refuse James' pressure and stood up for my self.

My only regret was me actually attempting to support James and trying to give him genuine advise.

Don't cast your pearls before swine.
  • Rambly and Shane like this

#26 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:35 AM

Hello James. I'm very happy to make a quest for you as confirmed in our many private messages. However, there are a few things that we need to get clear before I can trust you with my banking information.

Please post an answer in this thread to the following three questions.

Expertise - This isn't the first time I've sponsored a quest here.  In fact, I've sponsored several quests and I boast a 100% completion rate so I think I know very much what I'm doing.  I know about all the uncomfortable truths that surface whilst making a quest and I have dealt with them and solved them.  You can always talk to me about really dicey issues and I'll listen and there's a good chance I can fix them before they become real issues and cause the quest to be cancelled.

1. What quests are these? We know about one of them because Yloh mentioned one. But what are the other quest(s) so that we may know if this claimed 100% success rate is true.

2. Yloh has confirmed you contacted him to help pay Ouch!. Given that this exposes that you want other people to help fund Type B projects, I think it's important to disclose who else was contacted in this manner, if anyone else was. This is to help ensure you are as rich as you claim.

3. Promise that you will pay the person/people that you sponsor when the quest reaches a certain point of development. I know that multiple wire transfers can be a little costly but that would certainly be the best option because you cannot send a wire transfer when you don't have the funds to do so - it cannot "bounce". It also cannot be revoked after the fact in any way. Would you assent to doing such a method of payment if the questmaker demanded it? You can let that be a dealbreaker or not, but I want anyone who might be in line behind me to take my place to know that if they can't get a wire transfer, they might not be getting actual money. Make this a dealbreaker and there probably won't be anyone else to make a deal with.

I'm sorry that this had to go public but as you have said, talk is cheap. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The first and second demands are made so that your testimony will match up to your own words, and the third demand is so that your testimony about if people will get paid will be public on the forums, so that if you break your promise then you will get banned.
I am happy to be an employee but any other employee would ask their boss to provide proof that they will get paid. That may ordinarily come from other employees who work there or from feedback on GlassDoor, but in this case there is neither.
  • Mani Kanina, Shane, Jared and 2 others like this

#27 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:06 AM

In my oppinion, ZC is a NON-PROFIT thing and should stay non profit.

...offering, spending, taking money (unless it's meant to support general ZC Player / Editor Development)
seems "wrong" to me, somehow.

Edited by Bagu, 26 December 2021 - 07:06 AM.

• Taco Chopper, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

#28 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 26 December 2021 - 08:33 AM

One more thing
...I really like that kind of Type B quests that James mentioned.

So, yeah! Create such kind of Games.
But do it because YOU WANT IT, not for money and exclusive for one special person, that wants to feel privileged.

Share it with the community.

And if it's good, there'll always be a chance, that serious game design companies might pay attention, someday.
...and serious people will offer you a serious job.
...instead of suspect money

Edited by Bagu, 26 December 2021 - 08:35 AM.

• Rambly and Shane like this

#29 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 December 2021 - 10:32 PM

i just want type b quests that taste like real milk

i was gonna edit this to say i'm sorry for this being the third post in this thread that is just me being an ass... but also i'm not sorry

Edited by Taco Chopper, 26 December 2021 - 10:32 PM.

• Bagu likes this

#30 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 26 December 2021 - 10:41 PM

No, Fake Milk, only!

Got Fake?

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users