Why was the first-Zelda so perfect?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:05 AM

Well...do you say Zelda1 so perfect? I believe it's far from perfect at least for you, you really love to increase difficulty too much from it in fact.

Immediately after I played first-Zelda, many ideas came up :ahha:

・What if you start and don't get a sword? :twisted:

・What if there was Amos in the dungeon? :eek:  

・What if there was a gambling hall in the dungeon? :naughty:

・What if you couldn't use the sword at all in dungeon? :P

・What if it was difficult to choose rupee over life? :aggravated:

I feel like other games don't have this kind of imaginative fun :sigh:

The difficulty of Z1 isn't high as a Family Computer(Japanese NES) game, it's middle or a little below the middle for FC. Even the second quest is a little above the middle.

Isn't the second-quest as difficult as AQF if you don't know the location of important items :confused:

Edited by OUCH!, 25 September 2021 - 12:09 AM.

#17 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:59 AM

As for the difficulty of Zelda1, it’s a difficult question, because difficulty is changed when players get strong items (White Sword, Magic Sword, Blue Ring). Knowing the Nintendo creators’ supposition is very difficult. However, enemies aren’t made a big change from Lv6 on both quests. Well, let's see the strongest enemies on both quests. https://01nintendo.c...egend-of-zelda/

Lv1 ・1st Goriya1 ・2nd Goriya2
Lv2 ・1st Goriya2  ・2nd Darknut1, Pols Voice (only two) (Gibdo are already there, but they are stunned with the wooden boomerang) 
Lv3 ・1st  Darknut1 ・2nd Goriya2, Stalfos2
Lv4 ・1st Two-headed Gleeok ・2nd Darknut2
Lv5 ・1st Darknut2  ・2nd Wizzrobe2
Lv6  Wizzrobe2 appears on both quests! 

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 January 2022 - 11:13 AM.

#18 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:40 PM

You seemed to quit playing Hitodama in the middle, but did you play Yuurand? It was radically changed from Zelda1. You can see many very cool concepts there. And...

Let's talk about it on a Japanese forum ;)

As for the difficulty of Zelda1, it’s a difficult question, because difficulty is changed when players get strong items (White Sword, Magic Sword, Blue Ring). Knowing the Nintendo creators’ supposition is very difficult. However, enemies aren’t made a big change from Lv6 on both quests. Well, let's see the strongest enemies on both quests.

I would never have found blue tunic. :wacky:

I was surprised at two contents in one world :eek:

#19 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:10 AM

I introduced also Isle of Rebirth and Medley of the Grass Bow for OUCH! I hope he will enjoy even one of them.

#20 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:50 AM

Diagonal movement, diagonal attack, invincible rolling etc… :rolleyes:

Recent top-view games are comfortable, but the action is getting worse. :(

You can defeat the enemy by swinging the sword roughly, and if you are surrounded by the enemy, you can easily escape. :ohmy:

Edited by OUCH!, 28 September 2021 - 06:51 AM.

#21 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:20 AM

Zelda 1 is definitely a great game to start the series with, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Things that come to mind like door repairs were just bad decisions and contradicted the heart of Zelda 1. There was also the poor utilization of Hyrule in the 1st quest if you look at the northwest section. I think I would have enjoyed Adventure of Link more had it not been for the lack of continue points. I wish I could unconditionally love the NES Zeldas, but they were made in a very experimental era of Nintendo, so they were always bound to have glaring flaws. I still love them though, I just think there are entries in the series that capture the heart of Zelda better than their predecessors.

I'd say the series only started to truly shine with Link's Awakening. It's one of the only pure Zelda games with no fancy gimmick attached, just a simple 9 dungeon romp.

#22 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:35 AM

Link's Awakening stories and gimmicks are certainly interesting :D

But when it comes to combat, it ’s deteriorating. :(

Since the sword swings sideways, I can unilaterally attack enemies at an angle. :whistle:

Where you can go is determined by the item flag, not the strength of the link or player skill :ohmy:

I think action-oriented TopView2D game characters should have a spear that can only attack forward. :slycool:

Edited by OUCH!, 29 September 2021 - 08:36 AM.

• James24 likes this

#23 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:58 AM

Don't worry about stub or slash. Nintendo official 2D Zelda is almost dead.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 29 September 2021 - 08:58 AM.

#24 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 September 2021 - 09:54 PM

Link's Awakening stories and gimmicks are certainly interesting :D
But when it comes to combat, it ’s deteriorating. :(
Since the sword swings sideways, I can unilaterally attack enemies at an angle. :whistle:
Where you can go is determined by the item flag, not the strength of the link or player skill :ohmy:

I think action-oriented TopView2D game characters should have a spear that can only attack forward. :slycool:

Zelda 1 has a few item checks too actually! :P Raft, whistle, candle and bombs are all item checks in overworld exploration. The truth is, Zelda just doesn't care about difficult combat, it always has been about exploration and puzzle solving. Why do you think they'd hide the later dungeon entrances?

Don't get me wrong, it'd be cool if they did focus on difficult combat more. But I don't think it will be at a level where you'll be satisfied with because Nintendo has evolved from the experimental flaws of NES design.

It depends on your definition of a 2D Zelda. Nintendo has stated they have a "2D Zelda" team, and that they want to experiment with 2D still. It's just that 2D visuals are dead.

• James24 likes this

#25 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:17 AM

I wanted to mean in recent years Nintendo seems to be very passive to release new 2D Zelda (I don't count LA for Switch is a new title)  for especially Japan market. Now 2D Zelda is no longer a strong title in Japan.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 30 September 2021 - 02:18 AM.

#26 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:19 AM

I wanted to mean in recent years Nintendo seems to be very passive to release new 2D Zelda (I don't count LA for Switch is a new title)  for especially Japan market. Now 2D Zelda is no longer a strong title in Japan.

Yeah. I'd count LA as 2D, but I guess the definition is becoming blurred admittedly. It's also a remake to boot.

#27 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

Still, games like Zelda continue to be made by other creators :toast:

They should learn the fun of combat tactics from the first Zelda :snide:

Zelda 1 has a few item checks too actually!  :P Raft, whistle, candle and bombs are all item checks in overworld exploration. The truth is, Zelda just doesn't care about difficult combat, it always has been about exploration and puzzle solving. Why do you think they'd hide the later dungeon entrances?

Certainly the first Zelda focused on exploration :cat:

Perhaps I think Nintendo was supposed to teach information to each other.. :slycool:

Edited by OUCH!, 30 September 2021 - 09:32 AM.

• James24 likes this

#28 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 05 October 2021 - 09:19 AM

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

https://youtu.be/1af...JWndcbhRJ&t=129

25 years have passed since the first Zelda, and the controlling has become complicated, did the fun of the battle increase? :eek:

• James24 likes this

#29 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:57 AM

The first Zelda is simple even for bosses :)

Therefore, I can create various boss battles by adding other enemies and tiles. :bounce:

I made over 20 Gohma battles in AQ2 :slycool:

The bosses of other action RPGs have complicated actions, but it's boring because I only have to learn the patterns.. :shrug:

Edited by OUCH!, 17 October 2021 - 06:17 AM.

• James24 likes this

#30 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:14 AM

[Edit] My obtrusive sayings for OUCH! are edited or deleted.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 January 2022 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users