News Tidbits

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Goats sacrificed to get airplane aloft: "Officials at Nepal's state-run airline have sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god, following technical problems with one of its [two] Boeing 757 aircraft, the carrier said Tuesday, " reports Reuters. A senior Nepal Airlines official told the news service the unspecified problem had been resolved, proving that people will do just about anything to get an earlier flight.

Dude, where's my warhead?: In a more serious blooper, last week a U.S. Air Force crew accidentally flew a B-52 bomber across the country bearing six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles, instead of removing the warheads from the missiles before flight, according to press reports. Although the nukes were not activated, the fact that the mistake went undiscovered for the 3.5-hour trip between Air Force bases in North Dakota and Louisiana prompted an immediate investigation and led to a munitions commander being relieved of his duties. Rep. Edward Markey (D–Mass.) told the Washington Post that the breakdown had "frightening implications" for the security of the U.S. nuclear stockpile.

BBC pulls the plug on climate show: In a different kind of self-analysis, the British Broadcasting Company reported that it canceled a TV special set to air next January called Planet Relief that would have encouraged viewers to briefly switch off their TVs en masse to save energy. Instead, the network switched off the show, despite spending more than a year negotiating the mass turn-off with the country's electric grid. Environmental activists accused the BBC of bowing to climate change skeptics, but network officials said they canned the special because they believed their audience did not want to be "lectured to."

Sometimes you just gotta look at the world and just like after sipping a freshly opened soda go Ahhh.

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

Sometimes, you do have to drink the Coke. Other times, like this one, you just need to go icon_xd.gif.

#3 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:00 AM

I heard the first two before but they're still funny. Life's full of tidbits like these.

#4 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

I'm just curious... where do you get information like this?

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

The first one makes me remember this:

"Once there was an important football match and nobody wanted it to be washed away by intense rain that occurs in that area sometimes. That's why they hired a shaman. The match started and some time later heavy rain started. The shaman started his anti-rain dance and suddenly the rain turned to snowing... in a season when snow is out of question."

#6 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

Choco, http://www.sciam.com/. These are all from a weekly news tidbit thing they do, the title involves Popcorn Lungs, third down.

CastChaos, how old is that story, and if possible could you provide a link? I'll assume they hired the shaman as a joke, but the rest seems kinda... questionable.

Edited by EatinCake, 11 September 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#7 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

Ooh. That's a handy site. *bookmarks it*
Knowing you, I figured you just googled the most random thing you could think of to see if there was any news on it.

...Those stories sort of sound like something you might find in The Onion, too.
Or maybe not... I dunno >_>

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:18 PM

Why should I provide a link? If I eat a banana, then it's not true until I film it and post on YouTube? I meant this for general link asking.

For this case...
This story must be very old, I read it long ago in the "astounding happenings" section of a magazine (no, not that kind of magazine that states that the pope is an alien and all trees are leprechaun houses, etc.). Since it wasn't on the internet, I can't provide link. The shaman wasn't a joke (you materialists don't know seriousness, do you? icon_glare.gif) rather he was there because...
1. They believed in shamanity
2. Rains were frequent there
3. Rains were strong enough to wash the match away
Plus, snowing at that time especially when there is a shaman... Saying coincidence is closedmindedness and the chicken way out. I have seen stranger things in life (Yes, with my own eyes.) but I guess you would have some "smart" answer for them, too...so stick to the third party news...

Maybe I will be able to come up with some later, it's too late now here...

#9 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Sep 11 2007, 05:18 PM) View Post

Why should I provide a link? If I eat a banana, then it's not true until I film it and post on YouTube? I meant this for general link asking.

No, but one eating a banana is a logical process that everyone can understand and beileve. A shaman changing the weather... I'd like to know more about it, and preferabbly a reliable source, newspaper, book, or in this case, website.

Out of curosity what is odder than that, that you've seen?

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Sep 11 2007, 06:36 PM) View Post

No, but one eating a banana is a logical process that everyone can understand and beileve. A shaman changing the weather... I'd like to know more about it, and preferabbly a reliable source, newspaper, book, or in this case, website.

Out of curosity what is odder than that, that you've seen?
The popcorn cancer guy. Originally, I thought that the popcorn companies were going to conduct some really huge and astounding tests, but turns out that it was kind of the guy's poor eating habits that did him in. He ate three to four bags A DAY and inhaled the aroma intentionally when it came out of the microwave. I mean, it's not that good for you to degin with, but if you eat ANYTHING this often, it's gonna turn out bad.

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

icon_omg.gif

#12 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Sep 11 2007, 06:48 PM) View Post

icon_omg.gif

I'm getting tired right now, so I'll do this quick.
B. Substanceless Posts
Do not make posts such as "Hey it's cheese" or "Monkeys eat soup". Purposeless posts like them are considered spam and thus not tolerated. Also classified as substanceless posts are 1-3 word posts that add very little to the thread, even if they're on topic. Additionally, posting in a topic saying the same thing when you've pretty much already said it is pointless, and is therefore considered spam.

You're not really adding much. Please put more content in your posts. Please. PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAASEEEE. waitthere'ssomethinginmyeye. dethl out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users