Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#361 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

I've gotten further into the game now than I was before, and I have to say, I'm more than just impressed. I'm amazed. The sheer amount of content and effort that went into this is astounding. This is a perfect blend of the two gameplay styles of The Hyrule Fantasy and Adventure of Link. The sidescrolling gameplay is a lot more refined than in AoL; it was just really awkward to play, but this isn't. Losing exp was a big downside to that game to, and that's also been improved.

If, back in the day, Nintendo of America had been more than just a localization company, I feel like this is the Zelda game they would have made as Zelda III. The use of the American canon doesn't feel out of place at all (and the use of a CD-i Darknut as Misaltron's design was very clever and sneaky!), and the Engrish is charming, harkening back not just to Zelda II but to other games of the era with wonky translation. The music selection's damn good, even the goofy tracks I never listen to are well picked. The minigames are fun, I've had a blast finding secret seashells and doing the trading sequence (I'm missing two shells though and need to scour the game for them!) To me, this is one of few fan games that's honestly worthy of being considered a true Zelda game. I mean, you even made an instruction guide for it- that's dedication!

I feel very inspired by this quest to try and work on my own. The idea of Zelda with the bow in particular has gotten me to start work on reworking my tutorial quest into something new- a game starring Linkle and her crossbow. I've only just started reworking it and still have a lot to learn (I need to figure out how to downscale my sprites for the tileset for instance, or figuring how I can get the player to actually take out the bow like Zelda does when firing an arrow in PoC), but I'm hoping the end result will be good.

• Jared likes this

#362 Kapow

Kapow

Former Newbie

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:05 PM

I made an overworld map showing the locations of all items. It has some major spoilers, so I'd recommend defeating Militron before looking at it.

Unique items (meaning you can't hold multiple copies) are shown larger than all other items. Every dungeon has 3 of these. If sold at a shop, they are shown large above the shop display. Unique items with more than one location (shields, bottle, etc.) are only shown large at the earliest location.

Flashing items (200 rupees, auto-level P Bag) are shown as striped green/blue/red (the colors they flash). Refill items (bombs, fairies, etc.) are omitted for dungeons.

LazPoC v1.66 map

UPDATE 2019/06/09: Updated for v1.66 release. (LaZPoC v1.4 map)

UPDATE 2017/12/03: Updated for v1.4 release. (LaZPoC v1.3 map)

UPDATE 2017/09/07: Paired items (where each character gets a different item at the same time) are now both shown, with one large and one small with a + sign. (old version)

Edited by Kapow, 09 June 2019 - 05:18 PM.

• Anthus, Mitsukara, grayswandir and 1 other like this

#363 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

That is awesome! Thank you. I can imagine how long that took to set up, and the dedication involved is impressive.

I really ought to finish 1.4 sometime, I feel pretty bad about those bugged spots. On the bright side, I've been poking at graphics for the prospective sequel, and messing around with scripting some stuff lately, so, here's hoping something comes of it eventually. (Preferably before 2082.)

The one odd thing I can think of- you didn't show Zelda's seashell prize (only Link's) or Link's final trading sequence prize (only Zelda's). Was that deliberate? I'm also not entirely sure what the prices depict on the legend on the left, but maybe that's just an example of how the shops' prices are formatted.

Also, it's fun to be able to conveniently compare your map and the original Zelda II Map.

You can see where I fudged things to fit the Zelda 1/ZC screen size format, like the bigger forest north of North Palace, or how the continents don't quite line up vertically as they should (which is why there's extra rocks on the raft path between Mido and Nabooru- to redirect the raft into a 'straight' line. Maybe there's been some tectonic shifts in the past two years in Hyrule??). It was a tricky dance of trying to get notable locations centered, and keeping the overall fit of the thing close enough.

Edited by Mitsukara, 05 September 2017 - 04:24 AM.

• Kapow likes this

#364 Kapow

Kapow

Former Newbie

• Members

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

The one odd thing I can think of- you didn't show Zelda's seashell prize (only Link's) or Link's final trading sequence prize (only Zelda's). Was that deliberate? I'm also not entirely sure what the prices depict on the legend on the left, but maybe that's just an example of how the shops' prices are formatted.

Yeah, for all the paired items where you get a different item for each character, I used the first one the game gives you and left out the second one to keep it simple. It would've been a dozen or so more items, most of them being obvious (boomerangs, magnets, mails, etc.), plus it would mess up the 3-items-per-dungeon format. The prices are just a silly example using nonsense items.

Also, it's fun to be able to conveniently compare your map and the original Zelda II Map.

I really liked the idea of surrounding the map with islands to make the ocean more interesting to explore and to allow for consistent wrap-around.

#365 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

A most useful map! Thank you! Though whatever bugged thing was in the graveyard, I've apparently gotten. Crap. Well I had no idea it was bugged!

I'm also thoroughly confuzzled about that cave at square N 107.

#366 Kapow

Kapow

Former Newbie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

The one odd thing I can think of- you didn't show Zelda's seashell prize (only Link's) or Link's final trading sequence prize (only Zelda's).

Just thought of a good way to include both, so I updated the map.

Edited by Kapow, 07 September 2017 - 09:51 AM.

• Mitsukara likes this

#367 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Yknow, now that I think about it; I've had the Super Bomberang ever since the graveyard in Calatia. Is that a bug?

Edit: Finally got that dang cave with the charge ring done. I had to kill that first enemy using the ball and chain! That's not easy to do. Now I'm in Old Hyrule moseying around. Shame it's not the full overworld but hey, this game has been amazing.

Also of note: Once you get the Magic Wallet, you can't accept any secret money anymore. Not much point but still.

Edited by OkamiTakahashi, 07 September 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#368 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

I like the paired items on the updated map, it looks good!

Yknow, now that I think about it; I've had the Super Bomberang ever since the graveyard in Calatia. Is that a bug?

You mean, you already had them before you even left Calatia? Hmm. Did you use the cheats menu and press 'B' at some point? Doing that adds all bomb items to your inventory (that's just how ZC works for some reason). Otherwise, it's a bizarre new bug.

Edit: Finally got that dang cave with the charge ring done. I had to kill that first enemy using the ball and chain! That's not easy to do.

Really? I didn't think the ball and chain could get in there. Did it go around the screen edge or something? Anyway, the other possible solution (that I know of) is...

Spoiler

Now I'm in Old Hyrule moseying around. Shame it's not the full overworld but hey, this game has been amazing.

I was torn on how much of Old Hyrule to include. Because I used Example_1st's tileset (rather than a new quest file's), It would've been near trivial to import basically the entirety of Example_1st and/or Example_2nd.qst, aside from needing to go around fixing warps and cave NPCs.. but Zelda 1 has been done so many times by so many people, I thought most people wouldn't be interested in it enough, and I couldn't think of a whole bunch of new items/challenges/reasons to go there in this game. So my compromise was to put in this partial area where you look around for keys.

If finding the keys poses a problem, you can go back to Caragonne (the first town) in Calatia and buy some.

(Incidentally, as previously mentioned, Caragonne is named after George Caragonne, the deceased author of the Valiant Comics, from which the general idea of Calatia and Queen Seline originate. The town of Forward is named after three different related people who worked on the Zelda cartoon, Harnage island is named after another cartoon staff member, and the Calatia dungeons are named after various Zelda 1 and 2 staff members. Guritchu Desert is named after an unused idea I had for a character related to Bagu and Error, partly inspired by a strange cset color changing problem in the Graveyard; Jalapeno Desert is self-explanatory; Bremport bay is inspired loosely by a real city I used to live in, Bremerton, WA; and Swanpy River is named after a Dragon Quest 1 map I saw that displayed a "Swanpy" cave, where they probably meant to say "Swampy".)

Oh, and if you wander off certain screen edges in Old Hyrule with cheats, or load it up in ZQuest, you'll find the rest of the overworld is there. I literally imported Example_1st's overworld map and tweaked it a bit. But NPCs will say weird stuff (if they say "Ambush!!" then you're really in trouble, because it'll repeat the item loss from the intro cutscene) and any dungeon warps will probably send you somewhere awkward in Calatia.

Also of note: Once you get the Magic Wallet, you can't accept any secret money anymore. Not much point but still.

The inclusion of that is a borderline easter egg that poses no real gameplay purpose. I was thinking, "What if people have tons of money left over? Can I give them something to do with it? Oh, I know what might be funny...." Doing that also nets you the...

Spoiler

Oh, by the way, I recalled a legitimate way to reach the Chris Calhoun room... but it's kind of a lost-forever to get without cheats. What you do is...

Spoiler

It's easiest to access if you're playing "Averted Ambush" mode. For anyone who still isn't sure how to get into averted ambush mode, all you have to do is:

Spoiler

Edited by Mitsukara, 08 September 2017 - 02:35 AM.

#369 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Yes, I acquired them in the graveyard without cheats; I just waited for night to get the bomb bag upgrade and somehow it gave me that too. The only time in Calatia that I cheated was trying to beat the Bola Gleeok in Seline Tower, and it was only the Level 2 cheat. Speaking of, cheats bug out weapons. In particular it screws with the Beetle, the Power Bracelet and the Roc's Cape.

Re: The Charge Ring Cave. First I used the Spell Spell to turn the Unira into a Gel, then I just kinda flailed the ball and chain around until the Gel ran into it. I didn't have any bees to use.

Though I would have loved to explore more of Old Hyrule, I completely understand your reasoning for doing just parts of it. This game has been enormous, and it's understandable that at this point in development, your creativity would have been exhausted pretty much. I still think it was clever to hide keys in parts of Old Hyrule though.

Though tbh, I was honestly somehow expecting the Master Sword under the grave. It's always baffled me that the Master Sword isn't present in the first two games. Granted they hadn't come up with it yet, and the Magical Sword's not even a requirement to beat Ganon; and it doesn't even have any real backstory like the Master Sword. It's just...there. It exists. Some dubious lore claims that the Magical and Master Swords are one and the same but that's unlikely; the Magical Sword has way too many different designs whereas the Master Sword sticks with one basic design that's barely changed except for the ALTTP upgrades to the Tempered and Golden Sword.

Re: Money. Oh yeah, I had TONS of money left over. Back in Calatia, in one of the rooms of Seline Tower, I discovered an exploit with the Strong Zols (the tribble Zols?). I would split them up and let them reform several times; this not only maxed out my money, but allowed me to level up all my levels to 8 after several trips back to the room.

I had no idea the Valiant Comics writer had even passed away; that's a clever little tribute to him; really the whole game is, and in game form, his whole concept of Calatia doesn't at all feel out of place. In fact, all these little tributes to the various cartoon and game staff, and even the Calhoun room you can't really access well- absolutely genius; the only one I ever picked up on was Miyahon Palace. You can't hide that one from me! ;D

I know I keep spewing out high praise for this project; but it's my honest opinion. This feels like a true Zelda game straight out of the late NES/Early Super NES era, even with its goofy extra modes thrown in for giggles. I'm now almost finished with the game, save for that post game Uncool Discotech part, and it was a real pleasure playing through this. Honestly, though Nine Villages was one of the first ZC quests I was interested in, this hooked me in even more than that quest, and it's given me an appreciation for Zelda II, despite its flaws.

I have to ask, after such a daunting project like this, do you have any plans for any future quests? If not, hey, that's okay- you worked your tail off on this, and given how well received its been in in this rather self contained community (I never see anyone really outside of a couple let's players and ZC sites talking about ZC), you should be proud of what you accomplished with Panoply of Calatia.

Edit: 9/11/17: JUST beat Ganon after 3 tries and dying. That was hard but oh so satisfying! That truly was the most amazing Zelda Classic quest I've ever played and the most engaging. I'm just at a loss for words. And this secret sorcret Uncool Discotech? WOW! Those platforms make you insanely OP. Which I went for since I died against Uncool Ganon? That was a hilarious bonus twist. Even with all its silly little bonus things and non-Zelda music, this game was absolutely incredible. I know I keep repeating myself, but it stands to reason.

Edited by OkamiTakahashi, 11 September 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#370 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

Yes, I acquired them in the graveyard without cheats; I just waited for night to get the bomb bag upgrade and somehow it gave me that too.

That's bizarre. Were you playing on 2.50.2? I can't seem to replicate this.

Speaking of, cheats bug out weapons. In particular it screws with the Beetle, the Power Bracelet and the Roc's Cape.

Eh? I'm not sure what you mean about bugging out the weapons.

Re: The Charge Ring Cave. First I used the Spell Spell to turn the Unira into a Gel, then I just kinda flailed the ball and chain around until the Gel ran into it. I didn't have any bees to use.

Cool! That works.

the Master Sword

Well, my thinking was, since this takes place in line with Zelda I and II (they hadn't thought of the master sword story-wise when they made those games), it would be more on-theme to exclude the Master Sword.

That, and I kind of want to uphold LTTP's ridiculous claim that the master sword sleeps again 'forever' for the rest of it's timeline, even though ALBW and debateably the Oracles games both contradict it.

I do have some ideas for adding some (fan-)lore to the Magical Sword in a future project, maybe...

TONS of money

I might've gone a little crazy with all the easy to get money : ) Perhaps a bit wish-fullfillmenty, even. Eheheh.

Miyahon Palace.

Speaking of which, I think I misdescribed my previous tribute, insofar as Gunpei Yokoi (whom Yokoi Palace is named after) wasn't directly involved with any Zelda thing as far as I know. But he's too important to Nintendo history not to include!

Uncool Discotech

Speaking of that area, although the Power Lowder was my own invention, as was the level adjustment; the final final boss is 100% Moosh being Moosh. He just sort of came up with that awesome boss and gave it to me one day, because he's cool like that. (To quote TeamUDF: "he will script you boss". Apparently he did!)

Likewise, the venerable Moosh scripted the scrolling minimaps for the later dungeons (up on the passive subscreen in the top left). The other scripting in thegame was mostly me (hence all the reinvented octagonal wheels everywhere), though.

I have to ask, after such a daunting project like this, do you have any plans for any future quests?

I absolutely do. I've mentioned my loose ideas in previous posts in this thread, but here they are again.

The first one is far more likely than the others, and far more Zelda-related.

Spoiler

But life is life, so nothing is certain until it's done. I haven't gotten far enough with any of those projects to make a project page or have any beta testing done, and I don't know if I'll be submitting anything to the PureZC fall expo, but we'll see.

Edited by Mitsukara, 15 September 2017 - 03:04 AM.

#371 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Re: Graveyard: Yes. I'm not sure how else to explain it unless my memory's actually failing me. It does that sometimes.

Re: Cheat Bugs: What I mean is that with cheats enabled, the Beetle can't grab things for me and just freaks out, the Power Bracelet won't grab anything, and jumping is just...well, odd. It's not like a full jump, more like bunny hops I suppose?

Re: Master Sword: that's what I thought you might be going for- it makes perfect sense. That said, it's still odd how the sword has basically no backstory...and there seem to be multiples of it. At least the way I interpreted it. BS Hyrule Fantasy still has the player getting it; and in my head the game was happening around the same time Link migrated to North Hyrule for Zelda II. Idk. Headcanon is weird like that. If you do come up with some fanlore for it for a future project, that'd be fantastic; would love to see that.

Re: Tributes: Aha! Yes, that's what I thought that was. I agree; Gunpei's legacy is too important to not tribute to!

Re: Uncool Discotheque (Hey, I spelled it right this time!): The Power Loader was a fun idea- it reminds me a bit of Metroid. being in space and all. Kinda reminded me of that artwork of Tingle in space from Tingle's Balloon Fight.

Re: Quest Ideas: Those all sound like fun ideas even if most of them don't come to fruition; good luck all the same! Granted I've never played Legacy of the Wizard, or really any of the games referenced in PoC aside from Metroid (I've only tried a demo of DQ VIII on PS2), so a quest based on one of those games might get me interested in the originals. Hell, I'm full of ideas but being new to ZQuest, not much of a way to implement them. I thought mentioned Adventure of Linkle (a game starring our favorite genderbent reincarnation from HWL), which is my current project and the G&W/GW remake (working title Gregarious Wyverns and would mostly feature dragon bosses; if I get anywhere with learning this program some from PoC might appear or at least be tributed to. Even Volga himself would make for a great boss. A remake of Zelda II would be neat, but I'm not sure if I would make it strictly top down, keep it sidescrolling with the improvements from PoC, or a blend of both styles. Hard to decide. Other ideas include actually decent remakes of the CD-I games, sans the cheesiness and broken gameplay naturally, and something involving my own characters. It's not easy trying to learn this program while also working most of the week, but I'll get something done eventually. I'm also gonna have to remember the names of other users since I'm using some other tilesets I downloaded.

#372 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Re: Cheat thing

ZC has hardcoded "cheat keys" that will bug out your main controls if they overlap. So having any of your gameplay keys set to something like a, q, w, b, h, m, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc will cause that buggy behavior if cheats are on.

#373 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Dimentio is probably right about the cheats thing; you may have had your keys set to the same things as ZC's cheats buttons.

Regarding the Power Lowder, that was actually a reference to the Power Loader from the movie "Aliens":

aliens-ripley-powerloader_1.jpg

I'm not that wild about the franchise, especially not the very next film that came after it, but Aliens, the second movie, was very good in my opinion and I'm very fond of it. The whole battle sort of crudely references a certain scene, except with a Lowder (from Zelda II) standing in for the protagonist Ellen Ripley. The Metroid music seemed appropriate, though, and it probably comes off more like a Metroid reference than an Aliens reference.

I threw it together near the end of development on a whim; sadly, I don't think it's a very good boss, since it's fire (the actual Power Loader had a cutting torch, you see) is too hard to predict and dodge. But it's also really easy to just tank it.

As long as I'm rambling, here's a couple other deliberate vagueries about LaZPoC's "story":

Spoiler

Good luck with your own projects! Some very generic advice from me would be: think about how your gameplay elements are going to fit together, maybe make a map and think through the different branches it's possible for the player to take. You can add new ideas later in the game once you've started making it, but it's good to keep track of sort of how it'll all stick together.

Edited by Mitsukara, 16 September 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#374 OkamiTakahashi

OkamiTakahashi

Heartbroken Hero

• Members

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Thank you kindly. Atm I'm struggling to fill in the empty space (most of the map actually tbh, so for now I might try to import a map from another quest for some inspiration. Probably will do this with 5th Quest (though tbh Idk what 3rd and 4th quests are like either!), maybe play around with editing bits of it. I might also ask my friend for some help; he's been level designing since we were kids, always sketching maps and levels down on paper. I could sure learn a thing or two from him.

Anyway, enough out of me. Thanks for the umpteenth time for such a fun and inspiring adventure!

#375 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

Events in my personal life have taken an extremely promising turn, so as a celebration, Panoply of Calatia 1.4 has been submitted to the database! (It'll probably be up in a day knowing how these things go.) There's a whole bunch of little changes to try to address issues I saw during various Let's Play videos (and those recently discussed in this thread). Hopefully I didn't break everything in the process... '>>

The Support Pack file has not been changed, so if you already have the old version you don't need to get it again. However, if you want to view/edit he original script files, the ones that were altered or updated for version 1.4 can be found here.

LaZPoC 1.4 updates:

----- Bug fixes:

1. The quest now displays a warning that you must use version 2.50.2, and that the enhanced music only works if you put it in the ZC program folder.
  2. Fixed a bug where you could make the game unwinnable by save-quitting in a particular room during the cutscenes at the end of the Tower of Seline. Long story short, ZC's warp continue system is an intransigent beast. : P
  3. Fixed a bug where you could use the speedy sail to leave the raft game on the sides of the screen and go to buggy parts of map 8 and the extremely unfinished scrapped boss rush area (which is basically not legitimately playable). You can still do this trick in the duplicate raft game found in the post-game area, however, if you really want to try it out.
  4. Fixed the L/R Switch option to work with pullswitches, and to not instantly throw objects you pick up. (You have to push a different button, such as A, to throw a carried object with it.)
  5. Fixed a certain screen in a palace where the follower would abruptly move across the screen right after scrolling.
  6. Fixed the two screens where you could jump up and lodge your head in the floor of another room in a certain late-game palace.
  7. The four bugged items indicated on Kapow's map of version 1.3's overworlds have now been fixed, so you can safely  collect both items found on those screens without losing either.
  8. The final Big Key Warp now goes back to the main entrance instead of the internal entrance, and the nearby chute in the lava warps you to the proper room instead of to the main entrance. (ZQuest users can probably guess how I got the warps mixed up previously.)
  9. Removed the two 'small' random encounter enemies on a certain screen that would send you to the wrong place, replacing them with two more of the 'large' encounters.
  10. Corrected the previously-incorrect location coordinates listed in a certain shrine.
  11. The timer on the passive subscreen, if it surpasses 10 hours, should now have the numbers block out the "x" instead of being covered by it. However, I haven't tested this to be sure. (Also, they should eventually cover the clock icon if it gets up to triple-digits hours, which I don't recommend.)
  12. Due to what happened at the end of Eppy's playthrough, F6ing on the 'channel 3' screen now continues you on that dmap, on a special joke screen constructed in his honor. I don't think that will help in his case, but entering '4' under cheats and going to the channel 3 dmap, then F6ing (or going directly to screen 3F), would.
  13. Magic Potions no longer restore HP (they weren't supposed to in the first place). You can still restore HP in several ways (much more than Zelda 1 style potions would allow), by using:

Spoiler

----- Graphical changes:

• Link and Zelda's candles are now different colors (Link's flames are red, Zelda's are blue; the L-1 always uses a blue base, while the L-2 and L-3 always use an orange base.)
  • Zelda's Beetle looks slightly different from Link's (it lacks pincers, and picks up arrows and other weapons with it's front legs.)
  • Link's Climbing Rope looks slightly different on the subscreen.
  • Zelda's flute is now blue.
  • The brick walls around Calatia look slightly different, with a crude 'crenellation' look with half-tile brick patterns.
  • The windows at the top of Terui palace have been visually altered to look more like windows and less like a confusing brick structure.
  • Added a tiny 8x8 Lowder to the bonus 'Power Lowder' battle, so as to represent Newt. If you don't know what this means, don't worry about it.

----- Design changes:

1. Added slots 128 and 129 to the dungeon music selector. These will play "lazpoc custom song.mp3" and "lazpoc custom song.ogg", respectively. You can insert any song you want from those formats, by simply renaming your file that. (For example, if you want to use "Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up.mp3", just rename it to "lazpoc custom song.mp3" and put it in the ZC folder, then select track 128 on the music selector. However, please note that I have sometimes had problems where certain MP3s don't play correctly in ZC in general, so your results may vary.)
  2. The room with the Book of Mudora has been slightly redesigned, replacing the generic ordinary block puzzle with a simple character switching block puzzle, a sign giving a hint about how to solve said type of puzzle, a switch that clears out the bricks at the end for ease of passage, and festive decorative windows.
  3. A pushblock puzzle in Yokoi Palace, involving the red and blue iceblocks, has been slightly redesigned.
  4. You don't do a hold up animation for the boss key in Yokoi Palace because that might cause you to be conveyed onto spikes.
  5. Slight alteration to the room where you obtain the ladder, so that you need to use the ladder in order to reach a pushblock to open a shutter door.
  6. Replaced most instances of sideview lava beneath spinner tracks with either regular spikes, or "hot spikes" (orange spikes on top of lava that ignore the boots), to do away with the bad raft/drown respawning mechanics without risking too many bugs by messing with my bad old spinner script. (It also opens up the option of reusing the more tedious spike-crossing technique the player is meant to figure out in the Tower of Seline.) It's a compromise for the sake of tolerable gameplay.
  7. If you place the pushblocks in a certain room in Terui where the coins were behind a direction-changing conveyor belt, a treasure chest with a P-Bag appears (since MeleeWizard tried this and got nothing for it, since there was no real block puzzle in the original room). The blocks in this room have also been replaced with push-wait blocks, instead of instantly pushing.
  8. If you reach level 9 attack, the final boss will now take noteably more damage than before and can be defeated somewhwat more quickly/easily. (this effect can be undone in the postgame area by reducing your levels there, if you desire a more difficult rematch; you can re-fight the final boss by going back to where he normally appears.)
  9. Slightly redesigned the room right before you get the bola, so that it teaches you about how to use the bola on Guma statues in order to get the P Bag.
  10. You can use the ladder to climb on all the reachable roofs in the overhead towns (except the mayor's larger house), to make it more consistent with the place where that was required to get a thing. It also makes a certain item gettable by another means.
  11. The screen with the extra key ring gives you some money instead, because the key ring is sold in town. (The key ring's price is increased from 30 to 45, though.)
  12. An additional line of dialogue was added from Zelda, to clarify that a certain room in a certain cutscene is an illusion (and assure the player that they aren't forever stuck in some sorta CastChaos-style bad ending).
  13. The shop with the Acorn Ring now also sells Keys for 300 rupees (which is a worse deal than the key store in Caragonne, but may remind the player that it's an option).
  14. A certain underwater room with like-likes now has a tile border that prevents the pushblock from going up to the wall, and makes it less likely to get stuck somewhere.
  15. A certain familiar overworld screen near the endgame areas was changed to have slightly more trees blocking/framing the exits, to make it clear that there's more of the area to the west of the area's entrance.
  16. Added an arrow-shaped island to the ocean which always spawns a bee, and has a cave containing a bee, to give a hint about one of the more obtuse optional puzzles (which is similar to a mandatory endgame puzzle).
  17. A certain entrance area now has a block-all wall and Blaino statues, to (hopefully) remind the player of what those do prior to throwing a certain really weird puzzle at them. The flame shooters in this room also deal a more relevant quantity of damage.
  18. Another room shortly after that has slightly more room for the Gibomo enemies to move on the right side, two of the six cannons now shoot bolas instead of bombs, and two have been removed entirely.

----- Hint changes:

• An NPC on an early-game sideview screen tells you you can complete palaces in any order with the items you find inside and bombs.
  • An NPC in Caragonne hints at how you can defeat the stalfos with just the shield, since nobody seems to think of doing so.
  • In the palace where you get the Ladder, a hint tells you to try facing upwards when using it, to reduce confusion about where it can be placed. (A certain area has had it's blocks moved over by one tile, too, to reduce the risk of the climbable wall interfering in attempted ladder usage. This was all due to how problematically SpudKid's playthrough of this area went.)
  • Marui Palace's entrance switches now have little indentations on the platforms next to them, to hopefully make it clearer how you get to the switches. It's also possible to reach the early P-Bag via a second means now, as another clue/reminder.
  • Near where you get the spinner, it explains that you can't get onto a track if you're facing against a wall.
  • In Terui palace, there's a new Impa hint telling you that some switches must be stepped on manually, and those switches have been recolored to blue.
  • In the town of Forward, "I know nothing" guy instead tells you that the ladder, beetle, and cane of somaria are needed frequently. (There's still some NPCs in Hyrule who "know nothing", so don't worry, they've got you covered.)
  • An octorock in a cave-house right before Marui Palace tells you you can climb ledges in palaces with the ladder.
  • The goriya selling the Jalapeno Pepper tells you you can use the bracelet to throw the meat. Hopefully the player will remember this vital fact, if anyone plays this version.
  • The final battle has slightly more dialogue, with an indirect reminder from the boss about you having the fairy spell, and a line from Zelda suggesting you use auto-attack during the separation/shield phase. (Also, the magic cape now works against the lava, too.)
  • Reworded the Impa hint about separating in the Tower of Seline to, hopefully, make more sense.
  • Impa's dialogue in one scene was changed from saying 'in the tower' to 'upstairs' in case people thought she meant the wrong tower.
  • Moved the no-longer-relevant Impa hint about the warp chutes from one palace to a later palace, and replaced the original with a hint about the boots not protecting you from the hot spikes. (This hint is redunantly placed in more than one location.)
  • The weird blaino statue puzzle with the gopongo flowers and sluggulas now has an Impa hint that clarifies that conveyors are hidden beneath the blocks.
  • Added a statue of Thunderbird to the room with a thunder barrier that you reach after a certain long climb, because many players had forgotten the thunder barrier mechanic by that point.
  • The most bafflesome endgame puzzle has been slightly redesigned to make the solution less obscure. More specifically...

Spoiler

--- In Conclusion:

I hereby declare that the wallhacking hookshot exploit (described in the Secrets and Guides section) be henceforth known as the 'Wallhack Waltz'.

Hopefully this version is more complete and ultimately more enjoyable. Thanks again to everyone who played this!

• Alucard648, Deedee, Epsalon ZX and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users