Medley of the Grass Bow

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 a30502355

a30502355

Hi

• Members

Posted 26 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

I will post more about this miniquest, along with the quest file once I'm actually done with the quest. (Which should be on the day this entry drops to the public.)
College has really delayed this for me, sorry if I'm late. But here are some screenshots at least.

EDIT: HERE IT IS THE QUEST FILE!! Download it now with the ogg files. (Just put the folder from the ZIP file to your ZC folder and load the quest from there.)

https://www.dropbox..../MOTGB.zip?dl=0

Description:

This is a story about the princess of the Forest named Medley, help her rescue her father. A simple story.... or is it??

This quest is short, but it can be very challenging. If you don't like hard quests..... you may not like this quest, but give it a go anyways!

Here are some things to note from this quest:

-There are no recovery hearts, your only method of healing is the H block, fairies, or potions.

-You can only save through the S block. If you die, you don't have a chance to save. Yep, it's >Link<: Rank 9 all over again.

-The key to beating this quest is exploration. You must power up your weapons, and especially upgrade the ammos for your arrows. (There are 8 in total, allowing for you to carry 100 arrows) Explore a large palace as you look for Medley's missing father.

This quest was made in a span of a month. But if you take out the days I didn't work on it (because of college) it's more like 2-3 weeks. I know, I know... a rushed game will forever be bad. But I'll definitely update this quest for minor/major fixes, so it's still a game in process.

And last but not least, take your time and enjoy the most you can with this quest. I'm always here to help. :)

zelda016.pngzelda017.png
zelda019.pngzelda022.png
zelda020.pngzelda021.png

Edited by a30502355, 02 November 2019 - 04:49 AM.

• Stray Sheep, Anthus, Shane and 4 others like this

#2 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:18 AM

That's a cute passive subscreen.
  • a30502355 and Matthew like this

#3 a30502355

a30502355

Hi

• Members

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:00 AM

That's a cute passive subscreen.

Thanks!

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I think any version of 2.53 works on this quest.
I'm still working on the ROSEMASTER in 2.55. Just thought it would be nice to go back the old simple ZC one last time.

Edited by a30502355, 02 November 2019 - 05:01 AM.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

Hype :DD It looks awesome and your quest design skills have increased greatly over the years.

(((But please no insta-death, i beg of you)))

Gonna check this out when I have the time.

• a30502355 likes this

#5 Shane

Shane

• Members

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

I haven't gotten far yet. The lack of a game over screen is a bit concerning because I'm a player that likes to tank a lot, so I'm going to have to seriously adjust here. But so far this is pretty neat and I love the presentation of it.

• a30502355 likes this

#6 venrob

venrob

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

What ice script are you using? Is that Mero's? The momentum seems a bit... off.
Spoiler

(Might I recommend a wonderful fix for that issue? My ice script )
  • Avaro and a30502355 like this

#7 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

I gave this quest a good run now. I explored about 5 areas, and my feelings are conflicted. Basically, it's too hard for me, but I love what's there a lot! For such a short dev time this is a very fleshed out metroidvania quest  :D

The main issue in my opinion is really the lack of game over screen. Don't get me wrong, difficulty is fine, but losing all of your progress is not difficulty, it's just frustration and a waste of time for the player. I wouldn't even mind joining the development of this with you to create a scripted game over screen that respawns you at the last savepoint. If you want a punishment for death, check out some of the features Moosh provides.

It's overall really interesting and nicely designed. I'm looking forward to seeing all there is to this quest someday. Great work on this release!

Edited by Avaro, 04 November 2019 - 07:27 PM.

• a30502355 likes this

#8 a30502355

a30502355

Hi

• Members

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:22 AM

What ice script are you using? Is that Mero's? The momentum seems a bit... off.

Spoiler

(Might I recommend a wonderful fix for that issue? My ice script )

Yep, it's from Mero.

Will plan on updating it. But the update will take a while since I have so much going on in my personal life right now.

I gave this quest a good run now. I explored about 5 areas, and my feelings are conflicted. Basically, it's too hard for me, but I love what's there a lot! For such a short dev time this is a very fleshed out metroidvania quest  :D

The main issue in my opinion is really the lack of game over screen. Don't get me wrong, difficulty is fine, but losing all of your progress is not difficulty, it's just frustration and a waste of time for the player. I wouldn't even mind joining the development of this with you to create a scripted game over screen that respawns you at the last savepoint. If you want a punishment for death, check out some of the features Moosh provides.

It's overall really interesting and nicely designed. I'm looking forward to seeing all there is to this quest someday. Great work on this release!

I'm glad you enjoyed the quest outside of the difficulty (which I expect a lot of people will be turned off by)

But like I said, always room for updates. And I'll be open to any help with the scripts as well.

#9 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Also I completely forget to comment on this, but I love the way you used keys. Really well done.

• a30502355 likes this

#10 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

Senior

• Members

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

Has anyone else beat this quest? (And also the battlemaster)

• a30502355 likes this

#11 Stray Sheep

Stray Sheep

Master of F6-ing

• Members

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:40 AM

I got the blue crystal, and I enjoy gameplay and hearing Medley's very sexy gasp and scream.

• Shane, Avaro, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:35 PM

I've only had a quick play around with this so far but it's quite daunting in how open-ended it is. I'm scared I'll end up soft-locking my game by using keys on the wrong doors! But it's very enjoyable nevertheless and I'll be returning to it later. Good job!

• a30502355 likes this

#13 Stray Sheep

Stray Sheep

Master of F6-ing

• Members

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

Also, I got the purple crystal. Some shops sell a small key. Especially, a outside shop sells a small key for 60$ after saved a merchant in the water area.

Edited by Stray Sheep, 08 November 2019 - 09:27 AM.

• a30502355 likes this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

I played this for about 2 hours or so and beat 2 areas. I think I'll stop it there for a bit until I cover the other entries, but so far I'm really impressed. I really love the open-ended and metroidvania nature of this quest and the really cool ideas it has so far. I'll give more thorough details of it when I'm done but I'm liking how it's turned out.

Edit: On second thought, I probably won't have much time to finish this so I'll just say some more things here. In addition to things above, it's certainly quite difficult but well balanced. I never found a situation where things got too hard or too easy and despite no heart pickups, the save points were placed strategically and nicely scattered around the areas. When this quest gets a database release at some point, I'll definitely be sure to play through it fully. Nice job with this!

Btw I found a bug where you can happen to walk above the walls from the left when you get the flippers. Doubt this was intentional.

VJyraIS.png

• a30502355 likes this

#15 Stray Sheep

Stray Sheep

Master of F6-ing

• Members

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

I saw the good and bad both ending, I had a good time. Thank you so much, a30502355.

Spoiler

Edited by Stray Sheep, 11 November 2019 - 06:54 PM.

• a30502355 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users