8 replies to this topic

#1 SKM2012

SKM2012

Ace Trainer

• Members

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Dark Empire

by SKM2012

Link has journeyed to the Wizzrobe Empire to defeat their evil emperor.

2qlevf6.png

Grand Sanctum of the Dark Emperor

Link must brave four dungeons across the land before he can break the crystal barrier around the Emperor. He will fight the Emperor's minions in these dungeons. 

2uptj4w.png

The Seaside Crypt

The Empire is not a hospitable place. Most of the citizens have fled the country. Some of them have left behind valuables.

2qc2ds7.png

Southern Isles

Download at https://www.mediafir...pd3ll07ont5ln2w. This quest is NOT bug-free. Please PM me about any game-breaking bugs, or if you have any questions or feedback.

#2 Einsiety

Einsiety

~ Blaze Fielding ~

• Forum Moderators

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

For what it's worth, this is technically the first completed Firebird quest, but at the same time, this quest feels very incomplete. It's not even a facter of bugs either, just the lack of enemies in certain areas, as well as the mountain area being just nothing but rocks and whatnot.

It's okay for a 2 week quest, but feels very incomplete. 2/5

#3 KenMeister

KenMeister

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

The only positive remarks I have for this quest is the pretty solid screen detail and that boomerang puzzle in level 2. Everything here feels lifeless, from the lack of enemies, puzzles, and NPCs (even though it was meant to not have any, I don't ever get the feeling they were ever there to begin with), I pretty mashed the fast-forward button the whole time through the quest as all I was really doing was going from one 5-room dungeon to the next, with no real immersion in the game's world whatsoever, and no extra things to do aside from grabbing the tunic and sword in some random empty houses. It's just....a dead world honestly, I can't exaggerate that any further. It gets a 2/5 from me simply because of the two positives I mentioned above, as I can tell there was definitely effort put into the screen design, but you have to go beyond that. You can make the prettiest screens in the world and they'll still have no substance if they don't have any real thought, coherency or ideas put into them.

Edited by KenMeister, 15 August 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#4 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

I'm going to go with 2/5, or 5/10. The overall aesthetics are fantastic, but the gameplay has a good deal of room for improvement.

Unless the world is entirely deserted, the atmosphere is lacking. Even 'Lost Isle' had NPCs, of some kind, and an in-game story. The game is also strictly linear, with no exploration rewards. The subscreen is also incomplete: Triforce pieces do not appear, and left/right on the DPAD do not select items by wrapping, as you would expect.

These complaints aside, my quest was over with a mirror wizrobe in L4, six hearts, blue mail (freely found laying around), and no mirror shield, means a one-hit kill event. The lanmola with dodongo sprites has no reward, and is just a distraction; but even with the dungeon item, the chances of taking on one mirror wizrobe with those stats, is essentially nil. Given the pattern, I would expect the boss to also be at least one mirror wizrobe, but after six deaths to that thing, just walking in the door, I called it quits.

There is not enough space to react, and the mirrors in the room aren't set up to allow you to reflect shots and trap the enemy. If I missed the mirror shield, then it's well-hidden. The L2 item, is also underwhelming. Enemy balance, in general is odd at times; like a L3 level randomly on one screen.

For the most part, it just feels unfinished. Not just rough around the edges, but an alpha game. I believe that with time, and patience, this could be an excellent quest, but it's not there yet. It makes excellent use of Firebird, for the completed areas, and I was particularly fond of the diagonal stairs. Really, it's the unfair L4 mid-boss that kept this from scoring higher, and if not for the aesthetics, it'd be a solid '1', in my book, purely because it becomes unplayable at that point.

I hope that the questmaker continues to improve on this base though, and injects some life into it.

I should also point out:

darkempire_error.png

Mandatory damage there, on the way back. You could address that by disabling the spikes, with a step trigger on those stairs, or a second brang target trigger, on the upper-right corner of that screen. Anything other than requiring F6..

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 17 August 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#5 KenMeister

KenMeister

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

The mirrobe can be beaten by reflecting its shots with the fire rang, but yeah it's still a poor design choice.

#6 SKM2012

SKM2012

Ace Trainer

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

I didn't really notice that. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Yeah. I realize its not that great. I plan to make a more polished and complete quest in the future, and not rerelease this. 

#7 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

The mirrobe can be beaten by reflecting its shots with the fire rang, but yeah it's still a poor design choice.

I know that I can reflect them with the fire-brang; I even managed to get three, or four hits back into him, before I was one-hit-killed. That's the problem. It's an unbalanced enemy, at the best of times, and here, it's just trolling the player.

If that enemy had toned down damage, such as 1/2 heart, 1-heart; or did 2-hearts; the enemy had lower HP; and the player had a way to use the mirrors in the room to amplify (prism) and reflect in a circle, so that there was a viable tactic, then it would qualify as a challenge.

Walk into the room and die, is not a challenge.

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

And here's my review of this quest. It... needs a lot of work. It's not bad, but it's certainly not very good. It functions, but it wasn't very entertaining. You're definitely capable of much better, judging by your work in screenshot contests, so don't let this get to you, but definitely try to take everyone's criticism to heart.

#9 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

So, for a first Firebird quest, it's not BAD, but it's not good either. Screen design is generally alright, though I spotted a few errors (like walking over trees) and one cave looks really badly made. Another issue is that the quest is way too easy. I noticed I killed almost everything in one hit, but then all of a sudden I get to a Mirrorobe which takes hundreds of hits to kill, which is badly unbalanced.

Another issue is that this quest is a bit too short. For a 2 week quest, that generally isn't a problem, but I felt like I got through this quest a lot more quickly than I was supposed to. Overall, there isn't really much to say about this quest. It looks good, but there are quite a few errors and spurs of questionable design that brings down the score for me. I'd give this quest a 2/5.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SKM2012

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users