Photo

Screenshot of the Week 619

Sheik TheRock Russ xanadude

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 619 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:35 AM

TheRock
TheRock.png
Look at that tunic! I must have it! I will not stop until I get my hands on it! Now I have to do to get it is jump through the spikes! Sounds pretty easy to me! Dies miserably. (I really need to resubmit this master piece sometime)

Sheik
Sheik.png

Russ
Russ.png
And so begins my month-long descent into insanity.

xanadude
xanadude.png

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:48 AM

I really like the simplicity of xanadude's shot. Almost looks like something that could have been in the original GB games.

In the end I voted for Sheik, though.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Is that Forbidden Descent? Are you really gonna make that sequel, just like that? :D Also the flamekick seems to have a different angle. My vote went to this screen, although it was a tough choice between this and Sheiks screen for me.

Edited by Avataro, 10 July 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

TheRock - Not a fan at all sadly, the screen doesn't good IMO. The bright yellow background really makes the screen hard to look at and the lack of details in the background or anything at all makes it quite plain and bland. If this is supposed to be a desert stage or something, I'd probably suggest to really tone down the eye-bleeding yellow and add a few more background details and stuff, like pyramids, cacti or whatever.

Sheik - Wow this looks so cool! Definitely feels very OoT-like, and I definitely recognise this scene. Very nice job with the colours and general atmosphere, looks fantastic.

Russ - Firstly I really love that background. It's not too empty nor is it too crowded, it looks just perfect to me. Also really like the work on the foreground, even if nothing much is really going on besides Leevers and that flame attack thing (or whatever it is lol). Nice job anyway.

xanadude - Looks quite nice and basic, definitely like the screen structure you got here. Also really like the palette and subscreen too.

Quite close between Russ and Sheik for me this week, but I'm going for Sheik... just ever so slightly.

#5 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Gonna have to go with xanadude, here. I really liked Sheik's screenshot, but I prefer the simplicity and cleanliness of xanadude's, personally.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Is that Forbidden Descent? Are you really gonna make that sequel, just like that? :D Also the flamekick seems to have a different angle. My vote went to this screen, although it was a tough choice between this and Sheiks screen for me.

Well we're not calling it Forbidden Descent, but yeah. Assuming we can actually stay on schedule, it should be out August 7th for the Metroidvania contest. Though I have my doubts we can actually get it done in time but we shall see. Flamekick is indeed going at a different angle; we had to redesign it since it was designed to be a gamebreaking spell in the original and we want it to... well, not be gamebreaking here. :P
  • Espilan, Shane and Demonlink like this

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

It was between Sheik and Russ but I decided to go for Russ because I really liked the atmosphere and background here a lot. I like what Sheik has done with the tileset though, I love those leaf overhangs especially. Good shots all around though this week.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

TheRock- A+

Sheik- I've seen the Lost Woods screenshot before, but I just can't believe how much space and depth you give it, and how well the light and shadow works. And it doesn't feel like there's too many objects piled everywhere blocking your view, it just works!

Russ- I love the environment! But then I realized most of that was because of the background image. If you imagine that as a solid color, the layout is not as impressive as other screens. Maybe that's not fair because this is clearly a different type of game, but it is being put up in a contest against top down layouts facing larger design challenges.

xanadude- I really like this, I just think it needs some polish. A couple rocks in the water, a little tall grass, a cave up in the cliff wall (maybe a waterfall?)

I voted for Sheik

Edited by Cukeman, 10 July 2017 - 07:54 PM.

• TheRock likes this

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I am working some more at stuff such as that in the screenshot right now, so stay tuned. :) I probably should make a quest project page for it soon but right now there isn't any actual (well, proper) gameplay to show off and hence I am reluctant. ...we'll see.

I like what Sheik has done with the tileset though, I love those leaf overhangs especially.

They were fairly easily to make actually, once I got the right idea. I based them off the leaf overhang from, I believe, some very old Final Fantasy (?) game. Anyways, they seem useful enough to be worth sharing:

Spoiler

Edited by Sheik, 11 July 2017 - 04:57 AM.

• Rambly, Shane and Jared like this

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

Ah, they were in the Sanctuary Tree file, I thought they looked familiar! I'll definitely be using these if I get back into Gameboy Zelda tiles.

And you're right, they're from Final Fantasy Adventure. There's a tileset of it in the database.

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

Yeah, right? I think Joe123 actually made that tileset like some ten years ago. So who knew, the old stuff is still very useful. :)

#12 CDi-Fails

CDi-Fails

Initiate

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

Voted for Sheik, but I'm gonna have to request that he refrain from using Photoshop next time... Just kidding. Really awesome shot, didn't know you could make screens look that good in ZC.

• Sheik likes this

#13 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

Voted for Sheik. Great atmosphere with the light and the shadows.

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

With 79.00% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 619 is Sheik!

Sheik.png

Congrats!!

Voting totals:
- TheRock - 0 votes [0.00%]
- Sheik - 39 votes [78.00%]
- Russ - 9 votes [18.00%]
- xanadude - 2 votes [4.00%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik, TheRock, Russ, xanadude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users