Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:04 PM

https://imgur.com/a/8PEhTVf
  • Twilight Knight likes this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:55 AM

It looks very compartmentalized, lacking in any main core open area structure which is normally the norm for overworlds in zelda style experiences.

Contrast to say majora's mask, which in it's overworld has several big compartments, but in the center of the world it has a more core open ended up which includes termina field but also clocktown itself. Ocarina of Time has a similar structure. Most older 2D zelda games like alttp and Zelda 1 sees the overworld being almost exclusivly one big open ended chunk, with just a few branches off, like zora's river or death mountain in alttp.

I'm not sure if this is your intent and direction you want the overworld to be, in which case fair enough, or if you just didn't consider the gameplay flow that it will result in. Because currently it looks like a fair few of the areas are somewhat straight shoots once you enter them with a dedicated dead end at the end of em.

Anyway, good luck on finishing the quest.

• SparksTheUnicorn likes this

#3 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

It looks very compartmentalized, lacking in any main core open area structure which is normally the norm for overworlds in zelda style experiences.

Contrast to say majora's mask, which in it's overworld has several big compartments, but in the center of the world it has a more core open ended up which includes termina field but also clocktown itself. Ocarina of Time has a similar structure. Most older 2D zelda games like alttp and Zelda 1 sees the overworld being almost exclusivly one big open ended chunk, with just a few branches off, like zora's river or death mountain in alttp.

I'm not sure if this is your intent and direction you want the overworld to be, in which case fair enough, or if you just didn't consider the gameplay flow that it will result in. Because currently it looks like a fair few of the areas are somewhat straight shoots once you enter them with a dedicated dead end at the end of em.

Anyway, good luck on finishing the quest.

So overall I am trying to mostly capture he Overworld flow and style of Minnish Cap, which I always felt had more compartmentalize areas. Do note that this is still unfinished however. One important note is that once all the individual areas are complete, I am gonna go about knocking down a lot of the walls that separate areas, creating a lot of shortcuts and connections, which will hopefully open up the world so that it feels less compartmentalized.

For example, if you look at the big walled in water area near the bottom of the map (Flooded Fishing Village), I plan to knock down a lot of the walls surrounding that area, making a lot of bomb able secrets and breakable wall chunks. The end plan being that by walking around the town from the outside, you can find many secret entrances leading to special items and rupees around the town. In the top left of the map, you can see the start of a grey lava filled area (Cracked Peak), that area will have a lot of connections to the Desert and the Red Mesa (the tall red ground area with waterfalls in the top middle of the map), so that will hopefully not feel so enclosed. Finally, if you look right above the starting area, above the river in the middle, you can see an area filled with trees below the mesa, I plan to actually remove that area and make that a sort of central area that is more open.

The central area of the map will be called Cave Town. The idea behind it is that all the previous adventures who came to the abandoned land and didn't die or get lost came here to hide from monsters in caves, forming a small hidden town. Link will have to slowly open up the area using items to access services and items within (upgrading his sword at a smithy or buying potions), as well as open up new easier access points to the areas as well as secrets. One example will be a tunnel system that, when opened, allows link to go from the town to the top of the snowy mountain or the edge of the forest instantly.

Edited by SparksTheUnicorn, 30 June 2020 - 12:25 PM.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

Yeah okay, sounds like you have a good conceptual idea going here. And yeah, Minnish Cap is absolutely rather compartmentalized in the overworld department.

• SparksTheUnicorn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users