Photo

My first practice dungeon (and maybe more later!)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

The main reason I made this dungeon is to show people that the enemy editor is not useless. I wonder if my creations (monsters) will inspire anything in future quests? How about the moving sands that change direction?

Did you know that the blue homing bubbles can be beaten with the red candle and ALWAYS drop bombs? Did you know that the green peahats (limehats) can be beaten by using those bombs even while they are in the air? Did you know that the wand can beat the blue homing bubbles and stun the red and purple ones?

#17 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Is it wrong of me to laugh at the death SFX? I'll give you credit for the trap summoning wizzrobe, but that's it. icon_shrug.gif

#18 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

Seeing how this demo/dungeon/or-what is trolled, it is bound to be wonderful.
I don't see any poké's mirror that Nolornbon directed me to and I don't have time to complete the 4shared dungeon that has this file as reward, but I hope it will be still there when I come back.
I'm actually really curious seeing those SFX in action, though I'm already using some in BBIV, so they aren't unfamiliar for me. (I simply can't wait till I reach that point where I will use the "tyrant", "elder" and "Link mumble" sounds... icon_biggrin.gif )

#19 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 7 2012, 07:38 PM) View Post

I find it funny how it says:

As if you actually are given a choice. icon_razz.gif
Anyways, I bit the bullet and made a rubbish 4shared account (I don't plan to use it ever) so I could provide a mirror so others don't have to waste their time: here you go.

Oh sweet Jesus, the sound effects...what?

This is the post from Pokemonmaster64 with the link, CastChaos. Did any of the custom enemies I made inspire you? Glad to hear you are using the sound effects I made.

I wonder if DarkFlameWolf could beat this dungeon without dying (she probably could?) I tried it myself, but rooms six and beyond usually kill me.

#20 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Great enemy ideas, how I never thought of a trap wizzrobe... and those still bubbles that start moving under certain conditions, I thought they needed to be killed at first. I wonder which enemy has how much enemy editor and how much scripting factor.

As a quest, its luck factor really frustrated me, practically if you can pass a room is decided in the first 1-2 seconds. When fortune smiles, somebody with skills at least as good as mine easily can reach the sixth room.
That's also the farthest I got, killed all enemies, got red potion, and although I had only a few hearts left, I decided to conserve it... but the trap and fireball barrage that the wizzrobes laid down was painfully underestimated by me and I died after 1-2 hits (weren't those taking away only quarter a heart so far?) and because the luck factor, I couldn't get to the sixth room ever again (if the purple wizzrobe spawns too far in the sixth room, it will lay an orange bubble and it kills the player while the peahats are flying by all means).

The SFX... was good. Unique, different, but according to what has been said, I expected something hilarious and relatively out of ordinary. Guess I really shouldn't listen to people. I loved the realistic take on Link sounds, like the hit and the death. If the hurricane SFX is used for the bomb, it could be redrawn into some hurrican box and the explosion into whirlwinds... fun.

So, all in all, this is really great.
One thing that bugs me is that these new enemies are... hard. Why is it that all new type custom enemies has high difficulty as main gimmick? Can't one make a new regular enemy unique? (I knew one, the specific-item eating like likes I made up and Schwa scripted) Something that can be used in regular quests all along and not only in their final dungeons? At least these are TRULY unique, not just a patra with a super shooter attached on, etc.

#21 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

There was no scripting involved. I did all of my custom enemies with just the enemy editor. The practice dungeon is unpassworded, so you can go in and see what makes my custom enemies tick.

I know of a certain dungeon in Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge that makes this practice dungeon of mine look rather easy (it was nice of Peteo to put those vanishing bridges in that quest's level 7.) icon_wacky.gif

Edited by Nolornbon, 08 April 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#22 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Man, you are amazing!!!! I just looked into the file and it took me some time to decipher what did you do in there!
It's fabolous that you realized what kind of things can be done with things like the "tribble" death type... I'm really glad that you are around.
And I think my knowledge on custom enemies increased, so my quests might show something remotely similar enemy-wise... I doubt I could come up with completely new things (What happened to me in the last months/years?) but I will first find ways to make enemies that use the "speed 0 -> tribble/split -> speed x" method, like some flower that only sit there and if slashed, two petals start flying around. Etc.

#23 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

It is true that once you understand how the various fields of the enemy editor work, many great things can be achieved with them. The scripting that is ZScript is tricky to learn and get right, to say the very least (I heard that it's difficulty can be compared to the C languages.)

Has DarkFlameWolf ever tried this dungeon? She should be able to get through this without dying. icon_smile.gif icon_biggrin.gif

#24 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

So are you going to make more and put more effort into the next one?

#25 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

What kind of a man would I be if I didn't make more? I will make another dungeon, and it will be better. It will also have more custom enemies and a unique look to it.
This is what it looks like. The classic tiles sure are useful. icon_omg.gif

I have made a few changes to the quest file that has the dungeon in it. I started creating a tiny overworld area that has the entrance to the dungeon I made and will have the entrances to my future dungeons (can you find the entrance to the next one I am making?) The dungeon that I made is a little easier now and has a few small design changes. The link to the updated quest file is below. If Pokemonmaster64 can put the file where he placed the original one on MediaFire, it would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif
Update to NewFiends.qst on DataFileHost (4shared is unsafe for the time being.)

Edited by Nolornbon, 19 April 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#26 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Certainly a challenge. I got as far as the room with the orange wallmasters. I think its invulnerable, but its too fast to tell for sure. Tried killing it and trying to dodge it but nothing seems to work.

The thing that should be kept in mind if you do use custom enemies is that the player has to learn their strengths and weaknesses and that can take time which the player might not be willing to spend. In my opinion, its far better to decrease Link's attack/defense strengths and use regular enemies because then the (skillful) player will know exactly how to tackle them. Like in my quest... If you do use custom enemies or scripted bosses, its very important that you inform the player exactly what the vulnerability is (maybe a health meter or something).

Also, peahats? The thing with those is the wait that you need to wait until they stop which can be annoying if they take a long time.

Also, there's a red potion available but if you use it there isn't a replacement - kind of makes it hard to use since you can only use it twice and then its gone forever. So if you don't achieve any kind of advancement with it, you have to restart the quest.

The skeleton balls are a little lame as there's no way to avoid them once they activate. In one room, you need ot keep reentering until the purple wizzrobe is killable on the first appearance otherwise it will spawn lots of skeleton balls.

And then there's the luck factor. Sometimes you get lucky and get a fairy mid-way through which changes everything.

On the bright side - its a good challenge and I always like good challenges.

#27 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

The quest file is unpassworded, so you can look inside it to see how the enemies work. The blue skulls can be beaten by using the candle and the wand. The rest of the skulls are invincible. Most enemies can be slain by using the sword.

#28 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Apr 18 2012, 11:46 AM) View Post

Looks pretty nice!

However, the door to the south doesn't look right. It should only look like that if you intend for the floor (that Link's standing on) to be a roof above that door.
My suggestion is to come up with another way to indicate where the entrance is. In this perspective, I can think of a couple ways. If you've seen the Final Fantasy games, you should remember that they use an "indent" in the wall to indicate where a doorway to the south is located. Another way you could consider is just having the top of the wall straight across but also putting objects on the floor to left and right of the walkable portion of your door.

An updated "New Fiends"? I'll have to check that out. I couldn't get past the 4th screen on the original, maybe saw the 5th screen once. Those bubble things on the 2nd screen always got me a few times.

Edited by Lightwulf, 23 April 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#29 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

The problem with not showing the door on the bottom of the screen is that the player would not be able to see it then. It is best to envision short passages between the rooms of the dungeon.

I am currently playing a fan game called Mushroom Kingdom Fusion right now. Maybe it will give me some interesting ideas...

I gave up on Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, for that fan game makes my first dungeon look easy. Here is an image of some improvements I made to the look of the Nymph Shrine that I am working on.
IPB Image
The letters above the doors stand for the directions west, east, south, north, and down. All of the tiles you see on the screen are from 2.5 RC3's classic tiles (though I did do some minor modifications.) The Nymph Shrine will be a dungeon of the interior type. The enemies you see are the two forms of a new type of darknut I created using only the enemy editor.

Edited by Nolornbon, 28 April 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#30 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

My God, what did you do to those poor, poor enemies?! ...

You should rename it "The dungeons of Doctor Moreau". icon_odd.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users