Photo

Metroid 3 - ZC Remake

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Metroid 3 - ZC Remake (13 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this quest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How can this quest be improved?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

Download here!

373_oehnfj.png

373_ow5ciu.png373_ow5cjt.png
373_owrlx6.png373_owrnvd.png

Created in homage to the classic SNES game, an attempt has been made to recreate every enemy, environment and ability which you could use in the original.
An exception was made for things like Mockball and Wall Jump, since I can't pull them off.

Developed first without scripts, this version is heavily scripted and utilizes a unique engine as seen in the quest Metroid: Origins.

From reviews of that quest-

Imagine using a Zelda maker program to make a almost completely real Metroid game. That takes some incredible talent.
Originally rough around the edges...its polished into a true masterpiece in my opinion. Metroid is a seriously underrated series...and this quest adds one more game into a sadly underappreciated series

This project has been in development now for about a year and a half and completion is in sight.
Many bugs have been fixed, but others may yet be uncovered!
Also, as thanks to tester chocobothief12 for his constant checking of the boundaries of the game, a special secret room has been installed somewhere in the quest.

Let me know your opinions on this project!
  • Neptune, Anthus and Naru like this

#2 NoeL

NoeL

Remilia looks better with grey/green hair.

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

It's pretty incredible what you've managed to pull off, but the question I have is... why? No offence, but this just looks like a really weak port of Super Metroid and I can't see why anyone would play it over the original (besides curiosity). Had you made something original instead of "demaking" Super Metroid I think it would've had a lot more appeal - for me at least. But what you've got here looks really cool, so once you finish all the scripts and whatnot I'd love to see you go your own way with it and bring us an original Metroid.

• Old-Skool likes this

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

It's pretty incredible what you've managed to pull off, but the question I have is... why? No offence, but this just looks like a really weak port of Super Metroid and I can't see why anyone would play it over the original (besides curiosity). Had you made something original instead of "demaking" Super Metroid I think it would've had a lot more appeal - for me at least. But what you've got here looks really cool, so once you finish all the scripts and whatnot I'd love to see you go your own way with it and bring us an original Metroid.

The answer is... because?

Yes, it is a extremely low-tech (read: bad hack level) port of the original.

It is intended as a way to show what I have in mind for future Metroid-themed ZC projects as well as to recoup the abysmal failure that the original version of this was. (No scripts...  :whap: )

I do have plans for another project, but part of the reason I started this was to try and get all of the sprites, enemies, combos, scripts and stuff set up; so that a new game will be easier to do.

So stay tuned for further details.

Edited by ywkls, 04 November 2017 - 07:27 PM.

• Mitsukara likes this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

I'd like to make a slight update to this, mostly improved music and backgrounds (along with a few areas where the combos have been completely reworked). Please use this copy for further downloads.

Metroid 3 Demo Quest- Updated

#5 Neptune

Neptune

Grand Overlord Empress

• Forum Moderators

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

This looks pretty impressive, and since it seems like a full Super Metroid tech demo-y thing for future Metroid-in-ZC projects, it works out great. You've got a good basis to go on. I once was working on a Link to the Past remake in ZC, and had the Light World overworld complete, although no scripts, which isn't as big of a deal as Metroid without scripts in ZC, but I do understand that it generally doesn't work the best. Keep going though!

• ywkls likes this

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

something like this?

1934335_1114942152276_925319_n.jpg?oh=75

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

This looks pretty impressive, and since it seems like a full Super Metroid tech demo-y thing for future Metroid-in-ZC projects, it works out great. You've got a good basis to go on. I once was working on a Link to the Past remake in ZC, and had the Light World overworld complete, although no scripts, which isn't as big of a deal as Metroid without scripts in ZC, but I do understand that it generally doesn't work the best. Keep going though!

I think you captured the essence of what I was going for.

Way back when, I made a script-less version of Super Metroid. (We speak not of such things now.)

Whenever I did my other Metroid quest last year; I created a lot of the engine that this runs on.

In many ways; yes- this is a tech demo.

Also, what tileset did you do the LTTP remake in?

I released one (without scripts) in NewFirst; but I found the palette choices limiting.

I hope to make a scripted one someday.

Thanks for the support!

Edited by ywkls, 24 November 2017 - 09:51 PM.

#8 Neptune

Neptune

Grand Overlord Empress

• Forum Moderators

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

No problem. I can tell you put a lot of time into this. 

I can't remember what tileset I used for my LttP quest, but I do have an image of it from years ago.

SOTW46-HeroLink.gif

• Anthus likes this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

No problem. I can tell you put a lot of time into this. 

I can't remember what tileset I used for my LttP quest, but I do have an image of it from years ago.

SOTW46-HeroLink.gif

I thought it was plith's Descendant set, but it doesn't appear to be. I vaguely remember this though. :)

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Updated the Dropbox copy of the quest file with the following bug-fixes:

Fixed bug where Samus would disappear if you jumped while crouching.
Adjusted Samus sprites slightly.
Fixed transparency of Spiked Plants.
Fixed bug where it is possible to un-morph while scrolling onto another screen.

Thanks to former member Lunaria's stream; these were discovered. (I cannot believe I'm saying that.)

#11 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users