Zelda Classic Quest Survey '08

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

This is a survey of what you feel about ZC and what do you hate or enjoy about it. Answer the following 20 Questions. PLEASE BE SERIOUS!!!

1. What in your opinion can you describe a "perfect" quest? (Ex. Not too hard, great graphics, lots of variety, etc.)

2. On a Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how important is the gameplay in a quest?

3. On a Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how important is the graphics in a quest?

4. On a Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how important is the selection of music in a quest?

5. What in your opinion could totally destroy the quality of a quest?

6. Which of the following types of quests would you rate the Highest? Lowest?
* Variety > Graphics > Gameplay
* Gameplay > Variety > Graphics
* Graphics > Variety > Gameplay
* Variety > Gameplay > Graphics

7. As of right now, what is your opinion about the Pure Set?

8. As of right now, what is your opinion about the Classic Set?

9. As of right now, what is your opinion about the DoR Set?

10. Are you against using dated tiles which were used millions of times in past quests?

11. Are you against using scripts in a quest? If so, why?

12. Are you against using FFC's in a quest? If so, why?

13. Do you build your quest based on constructive criticism or by favorites?

14. How offended do you feel if you were harshly critisized becasue of your work?

15. What did you find the hardest thing to do when building a quest?

16. What is your quest-making pace? (Ex. 3 screens a day, 1 dungeon a month, etc.)

17. Do you build your quest in chronological order?

18. What's your #1 perspective in your quest? (Ex. Trying not to screw up, More Revolutionary etc.)

19. What is keeping you from development your quest? What keeps you modivated when developing a quest?

20. Are you disappointed that ZC2.5 is not fully released?

Hopefully this could help users hear other user's opinions when building their quests.

#2 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(With my answers thrown in)

This is a survey of what you feel about ZC and what do you hate or enjoy about it. Answer the following 20 Questions. PLEASE BE SERIOUS!!!

1. What in your opinion can you describe a "perfect" quest? (Ex. Not too hard, great graphics, lots of variety, etc.)

A long quest that brings lots of "new" stuff to the table, but does not re-vamp the entire system. Hero of Dreams is this type of quest. But a new one should have better graphics and new ideas.

2. On a Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how important is the gameplay in a quest?

Gameplay is a 5/5. It is by far the biggest decider in a quest. Most focus of the game should be on Gameplay.

3. On a Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how important is the graphics in a quest?

3/5. You can make a great quest with Classic if you're good enough. The "best" quests should use the "best" graphics, but that doesn't make graphics particularly important.

4. On a Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, how important is the selection of music in a quest?

4/5. The music in a quest sets the mood for every area, and it is essential that the music fits well with the game and is good.

Being super-mega-hard, or with tons of glitches/design issues.

Gameplay-Variety-Graphics.

It is a good, zelda-like set that I enjoy playing games on, if used properly.

It's nothing to use for big-shot quests, but it's not bad and it's a great start.

The "best" graphics, but perhaps they take a bit too long to learn and work with.

10. Are you against using dated tiles which were used millions of times in past quests?

No.

No. If scripts can make the game better, by all means, use them.

FFCs can make tons of things better in quests, but they're not essential.

Sometimes, but you still have to be true to your own style.

14. How offended do you feel if you were harshly critisized becasue of your work?

Only slightly. If I know myself that my work is good, then bad criticism isn't going to bring me down.

Making dungeons unique.

16. What is your quest-making pace? (Ex. 3 screens a day, 1 dungeon a month, etc.)

It varies depending on levels of interest.

Yes.

18. What's your #1 perspective in your quest? (Ex. Trying not to screw up, More Revolutionary etc.)

?

19. What is keeping you from development your quest? What keeps you modivated when developing a quest?

Lack of time and interest hinders it, and I get motivated when I get ideas or good criticism.

Yes, and I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Hopefully this could help users hear other user's opinions when building their quests.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

Neverseen gameplay elements with an amazing story and epic (or at least fitting) graphics makes the perfect quest which actually CAN exist. Some dungeons in HoD, LI, Link to the Heavens and latest BB demo are near perfect, and the story in my quest is already perfect. However, I yet have to see a perfect overworld or boss fight.

5. The quest itself is the gameplay itself, the rest are accessories.

4. The true epicness almost only can be reached with great graphics, but even a very good quest can be done with usual graphics, and a general quest can be done with poor graphics.

3. Good music can lift the quest extraordinary, but bad music doesn't neccessarily destroy it. That, or I'm just a music-n00b.

For example if the quest has too many elements from other quests or that a quest doesn't use ripped/custom graphics.

Variety is a different category. It's part of the quality of graphics or gameplay. So, it makes two choices, "graphics>gameplay" and "gameplay>graphics". I choose the latter.

Overused, somehow inert (maybe the palettes are too washed?) and makes me recall low detail.

Good nostalgy, Nintendo knew how to make early NES graphics. Good set for beginners.

Best tileset from all viewpoint. Number of tiles, detail, sprites, palettes and convenience (like organizing) is on the top, also this tileset is the best for accepting ripped graphics, since it's detailedness matches SNES graphics.

No, there are some evergreen tiles that never get old. Any old tiles can be used as long as there are new ones, too.

No, absolutely not. They are needed to create a real SNES-ish feel.

No, absolutely not. A post-2.10 quest can not exist without them.

What means "favorites" here? icon_eek.gif I listen to constructive criticism sometimes, but I build my quest on feeling, on the memory of other games and on what wasn't used before.

Very much. If I show something, I show it because I think it's good. It's rare that I accept harsh critics, very rare.

Using up space well. A ledge is always either too narrow or too wide, also there are always too much screen room left or too few, same goes for strings AND synchronizing floors that are above/below each other.

Usually 10 screens a day, plus some editing of already made areas, but many times I do better than that. Usually, one month brings an overworld and its dungeon, or a dungeon and its subdungeon.

Yes, absolutely. I first build the screen that the player first sees, then the second, etc. etc. There are rare exceptions, like comeback HCP rooms and times when I'm on a roll with adjacent screens.

Make it feel "huge", "epic", like it was an official game.

What keeps me away is the occassional temporary boredness. Soon probably mandatory student work. What motivate me are the desire to make something that people will truly enjoy and also the nice (and sometimes hyped) fan comments.

Yes and not. I would LOVE to see finished 2.5 quest. I also like those features, but a little fear that I need to learn 2.5 just as I learned 2.10, so I revert to a ZC n00b. Also, I don't want 2.5 be released before my quest, because people would stop caring for 2.10 quests, since they crave only features. icon_frown.gif

#4 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

1. I think a perfect quest is something like a real zelda game. Long, not too hard, and a deep storyline that chains with the timeline. I don't like quests that try to explain everything about the timeline. It's just too boring. We need a real Zelda. Lost Isle was a good quest that felt like zelda, but the difficulty level was too hard.

2. 5- gameplay is the most important part.

3. 3- graphics don't need to be good but they need to look good. Not something that will make everyone's eyes bleed, but not something too realistic.

4. 4- music makes it more epic, but the wrong choice of music is for example, music from a shooting game. I think as long as people stick with songs from Zelda, then it will be better. (Or make their own.)

5. What LIH said, bugs, design issues, and extreme difficulty.

6. Variety>Gameplay>Graphics. Variety because I don't want straitforward quests like, "ganon kidnapped zelda and stole eight triforce pieces bla bla bla..." I want a compelling and epic storyline with cutscenes. I also hate stuff like,
<insert villain's name here>'s revenge. Also, too much of, "After his adventures at Koholint Island, Link landed in a new land."

7. I love pure. I think it is great. I would recomend pure to anyone who can use it right.

8. hmm... I don't enjoy it that much but it's okay.

9. I don't really like the new DOR. The old DOR was actually okay. (except for the standard grass borders...)

10. I try not too. Thta man peaking out of a hole was overused, so I am definitely not using that.

11. Yes, scripts I think improve the gameplay and whenever I come acroos a script in a quest I go, "Yay, a script!" It's more fun to play with scripts. Take "The Fort Knights," by Joe123 for example. The scripts made it really fun and it made it feel like an actual Zelda game.

12. Just like the last question. I am not against scripts.

13. I don't know what you mean by favorites but I build my quest by taking other ideas that people give me. Constructive criticism, basically.

14. I am sometimes criticized that way, but when my work is good and I know it then I ignore it.

15. Same as LIH, dungeons.

16. Sometimes, in a day I can make 30 screens, sometimes, I can only make 2.

17. yes

18. ???

19. When I think about my quest and compare it to others, I get demotivated. When I have a new idea, I get motivated. I also get lazy when it comes to setting warps and stuff like that.

20. YES! I am very eager for it to be released.

#5 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

One that feels like a real Zelda game. Or just a real game, if it's not a Zelda quest. ie: No bugs, no misused graphics, solid gameplay.

5. The graphics don't have to be the best, but any misused graphics reflect poorly on the questmaker and the quality of their game.

3. As long as it isn't annoying.

Annoying music, misused graphics, bad dialogue.

It looks good, but not a lot of people use it properly.

Looks good, easier to use.

Overused.

It's nice to see new tiles.

I'm not willing to learn scripting, but I don't care if other quests use scripts.

No.

I do my own thing.

I take criticism seriously. But if someone says something deliberately negative, I can ignore it.

Finding time and motivation.

At the current time, I'm not doing anything.

Yes.

I'm trying to make a quest that looks and feels different than anything made before it.

Work and real life take away most of my time.

Slightly. But I have no problem using an older version.

#6 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

1. What in your opinion can you describe a "perfect" quest? (Ex. Not too hard, great graphics, lots of variety, etc.) Not too hard but not to easy Example HOD

Bad gamplay with bad music

Don't know

A good set

Good but i don't relly like it

BEST SET OUT THERE very orgised and great GFX more than Pure

No

NO

No

Unsure

Very except if its from some mebers becasue i just ingor them

Nothing i find build a quest pretty easy

1 DGN and srounding area a week

Yes (except my title screen i aways build that after my frist DGN)

Trying do do somthing driffent from my last

Becasue i find it fun and i've always wanted to do it

Yes only beacsue i can't relese my quest to the purezc detabass if i could no not relly

#7 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Mar 29 2008, 11:05 AM) View Post

Yeah, Not too hard, great graphics, lots of variety. And PLOT. I hate it when there's no plot.
"This is my adventure. You're in a maze. Try and escape." - ZZT Syndromes

Terrible plot, randomly placed tiles, obnoxious music.

Don't care, as long as it works out.

5/10, 8/10 when enhanced

3/10, 7/10 when used in new ways and enhanced

8/10

Does GB set count?

I am not, they make the game more fun and challenging.

Read above.

Not sure about the favorites part and what it means, but I do try out what people suggest.

Never.

Water areas.

In DoR, probably a small area in 2 weeks, larger one in a month, and a really good dungeon in a month or 2. Tons in Classic. About dounle what I can do in DoR using Pure, and also pretty much using GB.

I start to, get bored and make something for the future, then get back to chronological order.

Ruin Plague - Revolutionary
Return to Generia - "That was fun."

I just don't seem to like anything I do besides dungeons.

Yes, but I understand there's bugs. And at least we have betas instead of just updates.

#8 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

Something that has abandoned many of the cliche elements of games.

5/5 Good gameplay is what makes a quest legendary. Ever played Sabotage Dragoon?

5/5 The graphics are what brings people to a quest in the first place. If you have a bad first impression, you won't get anything good.

5/5 Music sets the mood of an area, if you were to make a graveyard with fast rock music, you'll think nothing of the fact that it is a graveyard, if you put in eerie, creepy music, the graveyard comes out to make its impression. Plus, will anyone play a quest with no music? No.

Bugs

All are of the same caliber, a good balance, is what you want to go for.

An excellent tileset, now, make a good quest with it, and it'll be even better.

Absolutely not. Finding new ways to use the tiles, is what I have fun with.

No. However, they really make a quest feel a lot different, once scripts are used better than they are in the majority now, I'll appreciate them better.

No, they are really handy.

I wish I could still take constructive criticism.

If the criticism is constructive, I'd have to get to the point where I would accept it. If it wasn't, I'd just consider the person a jerk and an idiot.

Building really dark places.

Overworld = 10 screens a day maybe
Dungeon = 3 screens a day
Dark Places = sometimes 1 screen a day.

Yes

New, few cliches, and creative

19. What is keeping you from development your quest? What keeps you motivated when developing a quest?

Really dark places is what keeps me from it. I am happy when I win an SotW, and I generally get the most screens that day.

Bleh, I can wait.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

A "perfect" quest isn't possible, but the closest to perfect would be one that offers a challenging, yet not impossible difficulty; unique dungeons; a well-designed, secret-filled overworld; an extensive story with deep backstory elements; and interesting, fitting graphics.
5. Gameplay is the defining element of a quest.
5. Not really graphics style, but all of the graphics have to fit together and they have to be used properly.
4. Music doesn't make or break a quest, but it's important to use high quality tunes that reflect the mood of an area.
As Nuvo said, bugs are the biggest contributer to quest destruction. Graphics misuse can also ruin a quest in my mind.

Gameplay>Graphics>Variety
Personally, I won't use it because I believe there are much better tilesets, but I have nothing against it.
I like the Classic set, but again, I would probably not use it for a quest. I don't believe it has enough variety to make a truly great quest.
It's great, but can get overused. The trick is to spice it up with your own style and other graphics.
If those tiles look good, then no, of course not.
I'll probably never script, but I have nothing against them.
NO. FFC's are great.
Constructive criticism... I have no idea what you mean by "favorites."
14. How offended do you feel if you were harshly criticized because of your work?
If it was constructive, I'd probably try to fix what I did wrong, but comments like "lol yur quest sux" will be ignored and/or ridiculed.
Calling a screen finished. I spend inordinate amounts of time perfecting, and sometimes you just gotta say "It's good enough."
About 2-3 overworld screens a day, more if I'm feeling motivated.
Usually, but I'll break it if I'm bored of a particular area or have a great idea about what to do with another.
Making something that will be truly memorable.
19. What is keeping you from development your quest? What keeps you motivated when developing a quest?
Right now, having ZQuest crash 10+ times a day is really pissing me off, but I'm dealing with it.
Of course, but I'm hoping it will be available soon.

#10 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Mar 29 2008, 08:05 AM) View Post

Basically one that is fun and not too hard (I hate hard quests) and involves exploration. A good story is not super important imo.

5/5. If it is not fun to play, then whats the point?

5/5. If the graphics suck, I won't play it.

3/5. Music isn't that important.

Laziness, if you slack off and don't test or try hard enough, your quest will be sloppy and sucky.

Love it, always have. It is perfect in almost every way. It is easy to modify and it is great on its own.

Don't really care for it. I won't use it or play a quest that uses it.

Sick of it. I don't really like it that much and I never have. It is also getting raped recently.

Not really, if they are used right and look good then they are fine.

If scripts add to the quest then they are great. I especially like item scripts.

FFC's are jsut fine by me.

I build my quest how I think it looks good. I also listen to what people say though too.

I don't really care, its not like I'm ever going to finish anything anyways.

Keeping up motivation to finish it.

Sometimes up to about 8 screens a day, sometimes nothing for a month, my motivation comes and goes.

I try to, but it never works.

Making every screen look great.

I just completely lose motivation for no apparent reason, I guess I get bored of it or something. Sometimes making stuff is super fun and I make tons of screens though.

Yes, I think it would boost everyone's interest in this dyeing community.

#11 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Mar 29 2008, 12:05 PM) View Post

A quest
-with mostly high quality non-ripped graphics
-so fun it's addicting to play
-with a lot of challenge, but not in the annoying way
-that makes great use of scripts

5. We play Zelda for the fun, I hope.

4. It really sets the mood and can make a quest extremely attractive to play, but it's forgivable if a quest has poor graphics but awesome gameplay.

3. But if it's bad, you just can mute zc and play something over it.

square-roomed linear dungeons and poor screen design in general

What do you mean by variety?

Got tired of it and it limited my vision of Magidien, so I switched to fully custom. The palletes are dull.

Neutral.

The grass makes it look nasty. The palletes aren't great either.

Yes, it's repetitive and usually ugly.

No

No

Both. I think that's what makes a game best.

I feel extremely offended because of all the time I spent on the quest, but I try to suppress my feelings because it's for the better of me.

scripting

So slow, I don't know. I like to develop my ideas, concepts, and graphics to perfection before I actually build the quest. So a large portion of the quest exists in my head and paper, just not as a game.

Yes, so I can get the demos out as soon as possible

Being fun and enjoyable

I need Z-3 scrolling now and I'm not proficient at scripting yet. I am motivated by how I'll feel when I finish the quest.

No. It'll come eventually.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 30 March 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Mar 29 2008, 09:05 AM) View Post

I'd say one that's not too difficult, has a great storyline, a good music selection, and pretty good graphics.
Linear dungeons, linear overworlds, etc.

Variety > Gameplay > Graphics would be highest.
It's a very good set. I don't know why, but somehow PTUX just doesn't appeal to me that much. However, some quests can make it look exceptionally good.
It's one of my favorite sets. I love it.
It's the best there is.
No.
I am not, and I love them. They add so much flexibility to a quest, and allow for so much more new stuff.
No. They make tedious combo cycling a thing of the past. They are so useful. Plus, you need them to attach scripts to.
Favorites.
Not very. I am used to harsh criticism, and most of the time, it just inspires me to work harder and do better.
Plan out the dungeons. The rest comes almost naturally.
It depends on how into it I am.
Yes.
To make a quest that people will enjoy, and find unique.
Well, I am making a remake of a classic quest right now, and my motivation is that I am competing with another person to make the best remake.
Yes, so much.

Edited by Russ, 30 March 2008 - 01:03 AM.

#13 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Mar 30 2008, 02:35 AM) View Post

A quest with great graphics, great music, funny dialogue, a fantastic plot and brilliant gameplay.

Plot, dialogue and gameplay. A weak, generic "get the sword, kill Ganon, save the princess" plot won't help anything. Sure, I used it, but I added twists and turns. Dialogue is also a key factor. If you haven't got great dialogue, it won't help players understand the game at all.

It's good, but it just needs that something to catch up to DoR.

It's original.

It's a ****ing brilliant tileset.

I don't really care.

I'm not against it, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them. I don't know how to use them, so I don't use them in quests.

See my answer to 11.

Both.

I feel a little bit, but I shrug it off and just keep doing my work.

The motivation.

I have no quest-making pace. I do whatever I want, whenever I want.

Yep.

To make a funny quest with great gameplay.

Lack of motivation is keeping me. I don't know about the second question.

Doesn't bother me.

#14 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Mar 29 2008, 11:05 AM) View Post

The key to a good quest is finding the correct difficulty. I will rarely balk at you for making a bad quest unless you have a screwed up difficulty level.

First and foremost, bugs. A truly great questmaker beta tests. No exceptions. You also don't want to have really BAD music.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say variety, but I would say Variety>Gameplay>Graphics

Puresets are too big! I only ever use the Original one and Mr. Z's first Pure Set. That being said, they are quite organized and has great tiles.

My favorite set. Why do old ZC pros never use it? Get's wayyy less respect than it needs.

As with the Pure Tileset, too big for my tastes. It's a good set, but I just don't enjoy making quests with it. :/

Only if they're supposed to be original. For example, while I may use Hybrid Link, I won't use Wolfblin tiles.

Nah. The only reason I don't is because I'm too lazy to learn about em'.

See above.

I am not familiar with what you mean when you say "favorites". I just make my quests based on what I would like to play.

I would have to see an actual comment to judge on that, but I doubt I would be too offended.

Getting myself to do dungeons.

I crank out a dungeon in about 10 days using the Classic Tileset.

Yes.

My current objective for my quest is to prove to myself I can create a decent quest without getting bored, but when I'm done with this one, my main goal becomes trying to do something with more detail, more of the little things that take a quest from Good to Frikkin Awesome.

The main thing keeping me is that I need to hide Zelda Classic from my parents until I finish an epic quest to give to them as a surprise gift.

No. I'm sure Deviance and fatcatfan and Phantom Menace are doing their best. icon_smile.gif

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

1) I don't believe in any 'perfect quest'. I wouldn't know what I want from everything. I'd be too picky about any one area not having something.

2) 5/5

3) 4/5- okay, admit it, you're not going to play a quest if it looks like crap.

4) 5/5

5) Laziness

6) All are equally important.

7) I don't really care... it's a fine set.

icon_cool.gif Easy to modify, and it's perfect for beginners and veterans. I say yeah.

9) Over-used, but for a reason, I guess.

10) I don't see a problem with doing this in my quest.

11) Yeah, saves room, creates some uniqueness, etc. (Misread the question... IT SHOULD SAY "DO YOU USE FCKING SCRIPTS")

12) See above.

13) "Favorites?" I create quests based on the most unique ideas I can think of. C&C is somewhat important within ideas, but not so much.

14) I wouldn't give a rat's ass. Not everyone's going to like what I make, but if others do, then I'm glad I did what I did.

15) Paying attention.

16) Depends. When I'm not using the internet, I can crank about 20 screens with the DoR set. Otherwise, 3 or so screens.

17) Depends. Remnants can't be out of order, because of all the events that have to occur. Rising Ashes, my classic quest, I can do out of order.

18) Just being myself. My ideas, I think are more unique than most people's here, anyway. Not to offend anyone, but I spend weeks/months thinking up ideas.

19) School... mainly because I finally do work in it, and have to do really well so I can go where I want to... also because I'm incredibly lazy. Golden Chocobo also keeps me busy D:

20) Not really. I've a stable build, and I'm happy with it... and it's not like I'm finishing anything any time soon.

Edited by Moonwhisper, 04 April 2008 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users