Photo

Multiple Enemies, Single Spawn Point?? (resolved, w/ answers)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

v2.50 build 29

MMDWR tileset

Non-scripted, if possible. 

As the title says, is it possible to have multiple enemies appear from a single spawn point??  :unsure:  Think Soul Blazer (SNES), or more accurately, a cloning machine gone haywire  :cheese:   After many searches, misleading or dead end links, and trial and error on my part, I'm beginning to think it isn't. 

Anyone care to (hopefully) prove me wrong?? 

Edited by apoetalone, 18 August 2019 - 08:01 PM.

• Moosh likes this

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:01 PM

Can't think of any way to have enemies repeatedly spawn from one point without a script. Though with a script it is incredibly easy.

If you just want to cram a bunch of enemies into a single square so they spill out all at once, I think you might be able to do it by setting the entire screen except that square to be no enemies flags, then take the flags away either with combo cycling or screen secrets.

Edit: Okay another possible idea would be having enemies that always return and having a screen secret when they're all killed that direct warps to itself. The spawns wouldn't overlap so enemies couldn't accumulate on the screen, but it would cause the enemies to appear to "respawn"

Edit 2: I found it! After a bit of digging around possible ideas I found an instance of a genuine unscripted repeat enemy spawner. Downside is it will only work for a single enemy ID in your entire quest and will prevent you from using spinning floor tiles. The idea is you replace the enemy Spinning Floor Tile (Combo) with any other enemy. Then any time a combo switches to the Spinning Tile (Immediate) type it will spawn one of that enemy. So you can have a combo cycling setup that alternates between that and another combo and it'll continue to spawn the enemy each time. It's still probably better to just use a script than resorting to modifying ZC's hardcoded enemies, but I'm still amazed this works.

Edited by Moosh, 18 August 2019 - 02:38 PM.

• ShadowTiger and Papa like this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

I'm not familiar with Soul Blazer, but for an endlessly spawning spot, copy a "Shooter (whatever)" enemy to a new slot and edit its entry.

On the "Data 1" tab, "Weapon" can stay (whatever) [it can be anything as long as it's not "(None)"], and "Type" should remain "Projectile Shooter." Then on the "Data 2" tab, change "Shot Type" to "Summon" and "Shot Attr. 1" to the enemy id number that you want it to summon. "Shot Attr. 2" can be used to give a maximum number of summons, so if you enter 10, the shooter will randomly spawn between 1 and 10 enemies every shot. Place the new Shooter enemy at the top of your screen's enemy list, then place it on the screen using Flag 37 (Enemy 0).

Of course, this only gets you one enemy type per location, but you can stack 2 different shooters on a single tile by having placing a screen type on top of a combo with an inherent flag. For 3 or more enemy types spawning from a single tile, you'll need another solution.

Note that these can also use shot type "Summon (Layer)" to summon whatever enemies you place on the screen's Layer 1, but this shot type will spawn the enemies from random locations and won't regard "Shot Attr. 2" limits.

And fake-edit, Moosh's cycling setup is also a good idea if you hate spinning tiles and want more precise control over the timing of your enemy spawns.
  • Papa, Moosh and ChrisHunter64 like this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

On the "Data 1" tab, "Weapon" can stay (whatever) [it can be anything as long as it's not "(None)"], and "Type" should remain "Projectile Shooter." Then on the "Data 2" tab, change "Shot Type" to "Summon" and "Shot Attr. 1" to the enemy id number that you want it to summon. "Shot Attr. 2" can be used to give a maximum number of summons, so if you enter 10, the shooter will randomly spawn between 1 and 10 enemies every shot. Place the new Shooter enemy at the top of your screen's enemy list, then place it on the screen using Flag 37 (Enemy 0).

I did not know you could do this and I'm surprised nobody's made good use of it yet. Way better than my solution. My mind's getting blown again and again by the untapped potential of ZC's unscripted mechanics :P

#5 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

These are all amazing, thank you both.

I'm sure they're all what I'm looking for; now to decide which path to follow  :unsure:  Thanks again.

• ChrisHunter64 likes this

#6 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

Actually, an NPC script which is a pile of bones a la the Gauntlet arcade/NES game would be cool. Which would allow you to set how you can destroy it, what it spawns, whether or not its spawns die when the pile of bones dies, and also have a maximum of enemies that are tied to that spawner where it will stop spawning and will only start again when you kill some of the enemies it has spawned. Like the skeletons it spawns will be marked as the "children" enemies of that specific parent pile. My idea is that there would be a maximum tied to each pile of bones. So if you had a maximum of four skeletons per pile, then 2 piles would result in a maximum of 8 skeletons in the room at once, and 4 piles would result in a maximum of 16. Unlike the default Batrobe where there is a maximum of 32(?) bats whether you have one Batrobe or ten.

Batrobes probably need that "maximum amount of children I can have on screen at once" and "if you kill me my summoned enemies die" settings as well...

Edited by P-Tux7, 21 August 2019 - 01:31 PM.

• Papa and Emily like this

#7 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Actually, an NPC script which is a pile of bones a la the Gauntlet arcade/NES game would be cool. Which would allow you to set how you can destroy it, what it spawns, whether or not its spawns die when the pile of bones dies, and also have a maximum of enemies that are tied to that spawner where it will stop spawning and will only start again when you kill some of the enemies it has spawned. Like the skeletons it spawns will be marked as the "children" enemies of that specific parent pile. My idea is that there would be a maximum tied to each pile of bones. So if you had a maximum of four skeletons per pile, then 2 piles would result in a maximum of 8 skeletons in the room at once, and 4 piles would result in a maximum of 16. Unlike the default Batrobe where there is a maximum of 32(?) bats whether you have one Batrobe or ten.

Batrobes probably need that "maximum amount of children I can have on screen at once" and "if you kill me my summoned enemies die" settings as well...

DAMMIT I JUST SPENT AN HOUR ON A DAMN DARK ROOM SCRIPT AND NOW YOU'VE GOTTA GIVE ME MORE GOOD IDEAS.

...I'll script that tomorrow. Shouldn't be hard

EDIT:

---Actually, it will be, since death effects are still hard from NPC scripts. If/when Zoria adds that 'npc->Immortal', it'll be far easier.

#8 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:36 AM

DAMMIT I JUST SPENT AN HOUR ON A DAMN DARK ROOM SCRIPT AND NOW YOU'VE GOTTA GIVE ME MORE GOOD IDEAS.

...I'll script that tomorrow. Shouldn't be hard

EDIT:

---Actually, it will be, since death effects are still hard from NPC scripts. If/when Zoria adds that 'npc->Immortal', it'll be far easier.

Turns out that 1-frame death effects are fine, it's just longer ones that are hard at the moment, and this just needs 1-frame, so no need to wait at all.

https://www.purezc.n...=scripts&id=353

Doesn't use anything that's THAT new, so should even work a few alphas behind current. Though, of course, I'd recommend 2.55 A29: https://www.zeldacla.../download/1651/

• ShadowTiger and Papa like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users