Photo

Forbidden Ascent 2.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you likely to replay Forbidden Ascent after the update?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hello everyone, and on behalf of Team Tricycle, allow me to present a massive update to our last quest, Forbidden Ascent. Because it was made for a one moth contest, the quest originally had some flaws, including some weird physics and a wonky difficulty curve. The update sets out to fix all this flaws, as well as to roughly double the game's length.

First off, common complaints that are now addressed

Let's get the most boring stuff out of the way first. The most frequent complaints with the first quest were the strangeness of grapple physics and the difficulty of certain jumps, the pixel-perfect jumping in the first tower, and the overall difficulty of the second tower. The grapple has been rescripted to behave much more naturally, and both towers have had their difficulties slightly reduced. This should hopefully solve the majority of problems.

And now for the exciting stuff: New Features!

Let's start off with the big one: A new playable character!

FA1.png
It's hardly a secret at this point, but Caelan is now playable. He can join your party immediately after defeating the final boss. His elemental-based attacks, aside from being really cool, make exploration a breeze, letting him reach heights unobtainable by Emily and Lucas.

FA2.png
Oh yeah we changed the background in the desert to be much less dull too.

Caelan's not the only one with cool moves though. Lucas's swords have been completely rescripted, each giving him multiple new ways to attack.

FA3.pngFA4.pngFA5.png
Downward stabs, dashing thrusts, upward spins, and more!

FA6.png
There's also a snazzy new subscreen.

But giving a new character at the end of the game wouldn't be too great if there weren't anything to do with him. And that's why every area of the game has been expanded!

FA7.pngFA8.png

You might also find some floppies lying around if you explore well enough. These can be used to unlock a variety of new challenge modes.

FA9.pngFA10.png

These challenges can range from fighting bosses under difficult conditions to navigating new obstacle courses to finding your way out of difficult silent realms.

Q3S2dlN.pnglwux4ce.png

In addition to these, there are also four new boss battles (including a completely redone third tower boss) and a bonus dungeon.

nsEx9pA.png

Lastly, what if you want to experience all of this new post-game content but would rather not play through the same game with the same story again? Not a problem! Caelan Mode lets you play through an alt story where Emily and Caelan's roles are swapped, leading to new challenges and stories.

mp7WiQ0.png

And that's basically it. Oh, well, actually I lied. There's also swimsuit items that all three characters can wear hidden somewhere near the start of the game.

FqbC5kf.png

They're purely cosmetic, but hey, if you ever wanted to stare at Emily in a bikini, well now you can! I mean, she's 15 so that's probably illegal, but I won't judge. :P But yeah, there's the gist of it. Whether you've never played before or are returning for a second playthrough, Forbidden Ascent 2.0 should have plenty of cool new tricks to keep you entertained. We're aiming to have it released by the end of the month, so keep a lookout for it.

• Anthus, Eppy, Shane and 11 others like this

#2 Dimentio

Dimentio

P-put me down!

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:39 AM

All of my yes.

#3 AdmiralJaden

AdmiralJaden

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:26 AM

Very nice! I remember looking at this (the current one) a few weeks ago and thinking about playing it. I think I'll wait until 2.0 but I really like the design choices that are presented here.

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:51 AM

Finally, something to use my overpowered bow and sword on. :V
  • Russ likes this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:38 AM

Because it was made for a one moth contest

One moth huh? Sounds interesting :P

Either way, this is coming along very well from the looks of things. I really like the new additions you guys have and I'm looking forward to playing the updated version whenever it comes out. So yes, I'm definitely replaying this whenever the update comes along!

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

This looks great. It's too bad there won't be a demo, but I was already planning to be playing your quest soon anyways and I feel this is more so an update from that quest, so I'll just wait for this update before I begin playing your quest.

As for Emily in a bikini? No thanks. I'm not interested in your pixelated 15 year olds Russ. It's just not my thing. lol

#7 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

Let's get the most boring stuff out of the way first. The most frequent complaints with the first quest were the strangeness of grapple physics and the difficulty of certain jumps, the pixel-perfect jumping in the first tower, and the overall difficulty of the second tower. The grapple has been rescripted to behave much more naturally, and both towers have had their difficulties slightly reduced. This should hopefully solve the majority of problems.

Welp, that convinced me. I'll definetly replay this quest.

The floppy discs sound interesting and it's nice to see someone finally made silent realms in ZC!

#8 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

Use Mothula twice and your out!

Spoiler

I don't play nearly as many quests as I'd like to, but I've been thinking about this one even before this announcement. I love character switching mechanics, puzzles, and scripted items, and this seems to have all three. I'll definitely give it a try when this even better-looking version comes out.

I like the theme avatars/member titles on Team Tricycle, by the way, neat touch. (although I initially mistook them for being based on some later generation of Pokemon I hadn't played... sorry!)

Edited by Mitsukara, 09 October 2016 - 11:07 AM.

• Russ, Eddy and Epsalon ZX like this

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, it was really difficult to get him to cooperate, but I think the final product was well worth it. :P

As for Emily in a bikini? No thanks. I'm not interested in your pixelated 15 year olds Russ. It's just not my thing. lol

lol. Fair enough. The idea came about cuz Moosh and I are both big fans of the Xenoblade series, which gives you the ability to shamelessly dress your party in bikinis and board shorts (a feature which carried into Smash 4 for Shulk), and we went "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we did that?

I like the theme avatars/member titles on Team Tricycle, by the way, neat touch. (although I initially mistook them for being based on some later generation of Pokemon I hadn't played... sorry!)

Thanks! I can't blame you for mistaking them for that though. They're all highly edited Gen 3 Pokemon sprites. :P
  • Eddy likes this

#10 David

David

• Forum Moderators

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

This looks absolutely fantastic. I never played the original version, not because it didn't look good, but because I never found the time to. Hopefully I'll be able to play this remake, though. Good job on what appears to be another great quest and I truly look forward to the release!

#11 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

lol. Fair enough. The idea came about cuz Moosh and I are both big fans of the Xenoblade series, which gives you the ability to shamelessly dress your party in bikinis and board shorts (a feature which carried into Smash 4 for Shulk), and we went "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we did that?

Oh, I thought it was a La-Mulana reference. :C
This somehow makes me less excited.

#12 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:50 AM

Ah, but in La-Mulana it was a Dragon Quest II MSX reference! : )

Edited by Mitsukara, 12 October 2016 - 06:50 AM.

#13 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Looking at the silent realm screens again, it looks like you are doing it wrong :P

In the left screen it seems the guardians are sleeping, yet the background is red. Please, make it blue and turn to red when they are awake. The red borders aren't enough.

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:54 PM

The background is red because most of the colors in silent realms are inverted to create an "otherworldly" feel. It's only red in the outdoor areas in the first silent realm. The red border may not look enough, but trust me when I say it works in game. The red border flashes, the entire screens gradually become distorted, and the music changes. Not to mention, because of the way ZC handles palettes and the palette structure, making the background turn red when the guardians awaken would be ridiculously difficult. :P
  • Avaro likes this

#15 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

seem really great, i miss the original version but i will play whit the new one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users