• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

http://www.computera...CVG-General-RSS

This article talks about the biggest reason why to took way too long to develop Final Fantasy XIII. It turns out it was originally planned for the PS2, but when the PS3 launched, it took 1.5 years for SquareEnix to finally get on track and got to where they are today. I guess that porting it to the 360 was not the reason for XIII's delay.

#2 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

Well it wasn't worth the wait for me considering how bad that game is.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

It's pretty shameful that there will be no towns in FFXIII.

#4 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

It might be best to wait until FF13's out before saying bad things about it...because FF12 was horrible for me, so to hear FF13 being bad as well...why should I bother even thinking about the series anymore?

Anyways, I'm glad they decided to go PS3 on it. Seeing the PS2 development photos reminds me of FFX.

#5 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:33 AM

They can take ten years as long as they produce something as good as FF4-9.

#6 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Feb 2 2010, 10:16 PM) View Post

It might be best to wait until FF13's out before saying bad things about it...because FF12 was horrible for me, so to hear FF13 being bad as well...why should I bother even thinking about the series anymore?

Anyways, I'm glad they decided to go PS3 on it. Seeing the PS2 development photos reminds me of FFX.

If i'm saying it's bad, it's because i imported FF13. Trust me, if you didn't like FF12 you won't like this one either. No victory theme, not a good plot or story, characters that resemble people from past installments, EXTREMELY linear, horrible summons, no towns...it's really not that good. Final fantasy for me is long dead ever since X-2. I just hope one day square realizes that going back to their roots is what they need to do in order to save the series. To be honest, FF10 was their last masterpiece. It's obvious why FF13 sales are so low in japan. But this is my opinion.

Edited by Christian, 03 February 2010 - 12:49 AM.

#7 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Feb 3 2010, 12:47 AM) View Post

If i'm saying it's bad, it's because i imported FF13. Trust me, if you didn't like FF12 you won't like this one either. No victory theme, not a good plot or story, characters that resemble people from past installments, EXTREMELY linear, horrible summons, no towns...it's really not that good.

No victory theme = No problem, just not traditional, so nostalgia's out the window.
No good plot or story...that could be a problem. How does it compare to the other FFs?
Similar characters, what do you mean?
Linearity shouldn't be a problem. FF4 was linear.
Horrible SUmmons...how exactly? How they look? How they function? unimpressive attacks? What?
No towns, except for one I assume...huh? How does THAT work?

Final fantasy for me is long dead ever since X-2. I just hope one day square realizes that going back to their roots is what they need to do in order to save the series. To be honest, FF10 was their last masterpiece. It's obvious why FF13 sales are so low in japan. But this is my opinion.

So, we can blame Enix, then? :/

#8 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

How's the Battle System, it looks more like an evolved ATB system.

#9 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Feb 3 2010, 12:47 AM) View Post

If i'm saying it's bad, it's because i imported FF13. Trust me, if you didn't like FF12 you won't like this one either. No victory theme, not a good plot or story, characters that resemble people from past installments, EXTREMELY linear, horrible summons, no towns...it's really not that good. Final fantasy for me is long dead ever since X-2. I just hope one day square realizes that going back to their roots is what they need to do in order to save the series. To be honest, FF10 was their last masterpiece. It's obvious why FF13 sales are so low in japan. But this is my opinion.

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Feb 4 2010, 09:38 PM) View Post

No victory theme = No problem, just not traditional, so nostalgia's out the window.
No good plot or story...that could be a problem. How does it compare to the other FFs?
Similar characters, what do you mean?
Linearity shouldn't be a problem. FF4 was linear.
Horrible SUmmons...how exactly? How they look? How they function? unimpressive attacks? What?
No towns, except for one I assume...huh? How does THAT work?
So, we can blame Enix, then? :/

the victory music is a tradition to the series. It gave it a fantasy feel of nostalgia. Without it, Final fantasy isn't final fantasy anymore.
The plot is very similar to FF6 and FF7 mixed together to create a mess. Nothing original at all. I couldn't get into the story either. It seems like graphics are the only thing ff13 has going for it. Graphics are amazing but story isn't. Everything is so flashy with not a good or original story. The ending is kind of cheesy and seems forced.
Well, the main heroine is like ff6 Terra mixed with Cloud's personality. The black guy is like Barret, the fighting guy is like Zell from ff8, the other girl is like an Aeris mixed with Rinoa type of character. The other 2 are alright but not that great.
Linearity isn't a problem. FF10 is really linear but it had amazing story, nostalgia and gameplay to back it up. This one doesn't. The linearity makes the story seem bland.
Yea, summons aren't good. You can kiss Shiva's diamond dust goodbye because in this, she turns into a motorcycle.She even has a twin =O. Summons in FF13 are very very very different from past installments. They turn into vehicles. They are more like transformers than summons really. Ifrit, Siren , and Carbuncle can't be used because they serve the evil side.
No towns = What's the point of a JRPG anyway? No items, no potions, no selling or buying, no exploring.
You can blame it to the departure of Sakaguchi, Nobuo, and some of the original team who have worked with FF1 to 10 and of course ENIX.

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Feb 4 2010, 10:46 PM) View Post

How's the Battle System, it looks more like an evolved ATB system.

The battle system is great. ATB is back and i'm happy about that but the whole "you get healed after every battle" doesn't work with me. I want to be able to use potions, elixers, ethers, strength pills, and all that good stuff. Also, spells are completely weird in this game. It's like magic ceased to exist from JRPGS. It's totally useless.

Edited by Christian, 05 February 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#10 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

So ff13 is back to a JRPG with random encounters, linear gameplay, and ridiculously long overpowered summons with no skip button?
That sucks. It looked like they finally were making some progress with ff12...

What did they change about the magic system? (Probably for the better, though they could of screwed that up somehow I guess...)

Edited by Gleeok, 05 February 2010 - 02:56 AM.

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

What's with the Enix hating?
I don't know much about who produces Final Fantasy, but Enix had some really good games before they merged with Square.

#12 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

One word: scapegoat.

#13 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

Obviously Square is stifling any creativeness in Enix since the merge ._.

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hmmm, maybe I'll wait until I get a PS3 for FFXIII. It's either get this or Heart Gold.

EDIT: Plus, I got my PS2 last year and I've yet to play Final Fantasy X and XII.

Edited by Dawnlight, 06 February 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#15 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Christian @ Feb 2 2010, 11:47 PM) View Post

If i'm saying it's bad, it's because i imported FF13. Trust me, if you didn't like FF12 you won't like this one either. No victory theme, not a good plot or story, characters that resemble people from past installments, horrible summons

All opinion. I say rent it and give it a good 4-6 hours of gameplay before you declare your verdict, SwordOfSeals.
QUOTE(Christian @ Feb 4 2010, 10:28 PM) View Post

the victory music is a tradition to the series. It gave it a fantasy feel of nostalgia. Without it, Final fantasy isn't final fantasy anymore.

If, to you, the entire series equals victory music, you can hardly complain about gameplay, characters or summons.

Enix is incorporating new things into a new game. The nostalgia isn't always going to be there, otherwise all games are just going to be remakes of things they've done in the past. It's generally hard to please a crowd when they've been following religiously for 12 or so games. People want more, people want new. Or you get the opposite. They can't please everyone, but they can still make a good game. I refuse to acknowledge any of the other points you've made regarding characters, plot or gameplay until I've played through it myself.

The points you've made won't hinder me from playing, and it shouldn't hinder anyone else unless they honestly have no desire to play. My point is: don't ruin it for everyone else until we've all had a chance to play through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users