Photo

Screenshot of the Week 243

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 243 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

Lord Ike
IPB Image
Some golden land this is...Its more of a DARK WORLD! Sages and their lies today....

Migokalle
IPB Image
Link looks at the ugly citizens of Hyrule Castle Town... he's gonna kill them, and replace them with better looking ones when he finds some icon_smile.gif

Rambly
IPB Image
And so in the Land of Tomatoes, Link begins his epic journey in search of better subscreen graphics.

T. Platinum
IPB Image
Let's see what prevails...Beast versus Wiimote!

#2 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

I voted for Migokalle. That's an awesome town! icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

I am soo confused on to vote for either migokalle && lord ike. there both really good screens. ugh idk...I nulled. sorry icon_shrug.gif

#4 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

Voted for Lord Ike. I love the tileset. icon_smile.gif

#5 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Let's see here...
Lord Ike: Good use of your tileset icon_thumbsup.gif
Migokalle: Awesome town shot! Tell me when you replace these ugly citizens icon_biggrin.gif
Rambly:Good overworld shot. I like that tree trunk.
T. Platinum: ...

Good shots this week. I nulled.

#6 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

Of course, bieng a participant, I nulled.
But wow....this week, is gonna be intresting, a close tie.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

For a minute, I thought Migo's shot was Plissken's. icon_razz.gif Anyway, I voted for Migo. Best use of color and design.

#8 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

I vote Null.

#9 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

Wow! It's so hard to decide between Lord Ike and Migokalle... Well, let's first just comment them all:

Lord Ike: Awesomely nice! Great graphics and well done design. Some might say it's a little cramped, but I actually love seeing that. The subscreen = WIN. 9.5/10

Migokalle: Also great... I love the graphics. The colors seem a bit... I don't know how to call this... They do not connect so well together or such, and I think the shades are to dark compared with the light colors. Other than that, the design is perfect. I better hope for Link he does kill those citizens. Maybe he should draw new ones on his own? It's hard to find new citizens. 9/10

Rambly (Ramblin Evil Mushroom icon_twisted.gif ): Simple, not as graphically outstanding as the other submissions and the detailing is a bit randomly placed, like you closed your eyes while placing it. But, it's not bad. 7/10

T. Platinum: Graphically outstanding, but really low on the design. The boss doesn't fit at all, even though it looks that nice. Maybe you should give the mountains in the far, far back a darker color, to make em look even further away. 7/10

After all, I went for Lord Ike. I think that if Migokalle fixes the colors a bit, I would have rated it 10/10 and it would have won... But now, I vote Lord Ike.

#10 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

*counts* ... Wow, a whole 2 people commented on my screen and both of them thought it was okay! Woo! That's more praise than I ever expected to get!

Now for my own commentary:

Lord Ike:
Great shot. The palette's okay, although some of the colors don't contrast too well (particularly that orange, blech). But on the plus side, the detail placing is nearly perfect, the tiles are great, and the custom subscreen is nice. 4½ stars.

Migokalle:
Fantastic shot! Before I saw this I didn't think a good castle town could actually be made in ZC, but you've gone and proven me wrong. This shot is everything a castle town shot ought to be. I'm not fond of the sprites either, but since you've expressed your intent to replace them, I can't really complain. Also, the subscreen is amazing. 5 stars.

Rambly:
That would be moi. First off, I'd like to give credit to Radien for the New BS Tileset, Akkabus for some of the ezgbz tiles, and Teilyr for the Hatless AMC Link. With that out of the way... it's a pretty average shot, but Migokalle convinced me to enter it... I didn't know it was for the sake of CRUSHING ME WITH HIS AWESOME TOWN SHOT AND SHAMING MY FAMILY NAME! IPB Image Now that I'm through with being an idiot, I'd like to address some things:

@T. Platinum: Thanks! But I'm not all that fond of the tree trunk, actually. It doesn't really fit the rest of the setting... it's not like it's anything particularly fancy, it's ripped straight from one of the GB Zelda games.
@Twilight_Knight: You have a point. I think the main problem with the shot is that the detail is placed unevenly--I didn't want to put the bushes, the flowers, and the little... uh... plant thingies (not sure what to call them) on the dirt area. Also, I'm not fond of the shading I used on the R2/Pure trees... I don't think the top two tiles match.

There are a couple of other screens I had that I was planning on submitting, but I ultimately decided on the current one... here and here. I could submit one of them in the next SotW, but reusing the same graphical style would be pretty lame, so I'm not going to. icon_blah.gif No rating.

T. Platinum: I hope my criticism won't seem too harsh... I apologize if it does. I can understand that a lot of effort probably went into ripping the tiles and setting up the combos, and that's commendable. With that said, it doesn't really make for a great SotW screenshot. Few custom boss shots actually do--there's usually not enough room for a lot of detail. The other main problem with this shot is the major clash of styles--the walls seem like something out of Mega Man, and that doesn't go very well with the realistic mountains in the background nor the realistic boss in the foreground, and I have no idea where the Minish Cap-style Link fits in. Also, the walls on the sides seem very slightly miscolored on the edges.

It's an interesting shot, I'll give you that, but as far as plain eye candy goes, which I'll admit is probably the main factor in deciding to vote for a screen in SotW... well, it's not that eye-pleasing. 2½ stars.

(edit) ...oh! And I forgot to mention, T. Platinum: I recommend not using JPG for SotW entries--PNG or GIF format is best. Lossy formats (such as JPG, which is what you used) don't work very well for screenshots with simple palette structures, such as ZC screenshots.

Edited by Rambly, 30 December 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#11 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

Migo has my vote because it is so epicly awesome. In the meantime, I'll memo something and remember to give Rambly a carrot cake or something for trying.

#12 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:28 AM

voted tor t. platinum. reason?
that monster is epic. end of story.

other guys:

Lord Ike:
good screen icon_razz.gif but its too... gloomy i guess. well built, but it seems depressing in some way to me.

Migo:
gaah you got one of my pet peeves...
non-matching npc's
other than that, good screen. odd perspective though...

rambly:
going to say this the most un-offensive way i can think of...
there isnt anything that really catches my eye from this shot. nothing stands out. sure its a good screen but... its not anything particularly special.

#13 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

Hmm...Ok I realized my shot had an error. The tree browns, I must of forgotten to edit them or something, but I changed it. ( too late, though ) Thanks Rambly.

#14 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

Lord Ike: I like the setup and the palette. That's about all I have to comment on.

Migokalle: Awesome knights. The booths look kind of odd when there's nothing on the counters.

Rambly: Land of Tomatoes? For some reason this screen seems kind of blank, probably because the dirt color is so bland. Oh well.

T. Platinum: I don't like how the boss overlaps the wall... Other than that, awesome.

I'll go for... Migokalle.

#15 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

I know negativity can be a bannable offense, but I feel I must declare that I really don't like any of those (which is rare). I often have positive feedback or constructive criticism, but these just put me off to where I just want to say they are not so good. I voted for the town center one, as it was the least cluttered and awful. at least I could tell what I was looking at. I could see getting used to those tiles in a quest, but I would want to kill the townsfolk, like the text said -- too many people on that one screen. blah, blah, blah... I suck.

edit:

1. nice palette.
2. nice arrangement.
3. nice water.
4. nice background.

much better, Tru. play nice.

Edited by Trudatman, 31 December 2008 - 03:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users