• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

Hi everyone,

Is there a stable version that works for Mac? I tried downloading MacOZ v2.50.2 from ZeldaClassic.com but I can't even get it to open/load any quest files :( any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

I use a Mac and I got it to work. I do know you can only have ether Zelda Classic opened or ZQuest opened at a time. 

Maybe try 2.50 from ZeldaClassic.com? Link to the archives of ZeldaClassic.com: https://www.zeldacla...wnload-archive/

#3 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:33 PM

Tried it. I just get a black screen and when I tried loading a quest all I get is an error message saying "unable to open quest file" :(

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

Sounds like translocation. In Finder, move the ZC and ZQuest applications to another folder. That should be all it takes to disable it. You can move them back afterward.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

#5 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

Ah that totally worked, thanks! :D

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Is there a stable version that works for Mac? I tried downloading MacOZ v2.50.2 from ZeldaClassic.com but I can't even get it to open/load any quest files :( any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!

Please note that the next OSX release will make ZC unusable. Period.

Apple are ceasing support for all 32-bit apps in the next OSX version, hence why a new Mac build has not been a priority, as ZC is firmly locked into being 32b, not 64b, for a version or three.

Other than that, I should probably update the OSX downloads on zc.com with a setup.txt file to explain translocation.

None of my Apple systems have the Gatekeeper 'feature': My latest OSX is Snow Leopard. :P

Rant follows:

Spoiler

#7 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

Gatekeeper is Apple's way of forcing devs to use the iTunes Store and stifle open-source software, ans MS copied that into Windows 8/10 with their own store,with Windows Defender, which IMO is ransomware targeted at open-source and other low-budget developers. If you aren't a paid MS dev, you can't get whitelisted by WD, and if you aren't a paid Apple Dev, you can't be whitelisted by Gatekeeper.

"Gatekeeper" seems a fitting name then.

#8 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:16 AM

This is a big bad necropost, so I'm sorry but not sorry, but it is relevant to 2.50.2 for Mac. I've having similar issues with just getting ZQuest and ZLauncher to open, let alone run. Currently running Sierra but was running High Sierra more recently. Translocation hasn't helped either, ZQuest was coming up with a decrypting error.

In saying that, I have found a workaround to booting ZLauncher, as well as ZQuest and Zelda Classic. If you right click on the application, click show package contents, and then go into /Contents/MacOS/, you should be able to open the applications through Terminal without having any sort of boot dialogs come up.

Not sure if it's volatile or how risky it is though - when I open up ZQuest for example, Terminal comes up with this:

taco-Ok:~ tacochopper$ /Users/tacochopper/Downloads/Zelda-Classic\ -2.50.2-with-ZCL-Beta-2\ 2/ZQuest\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/ZQuest\ Editor ; exit;
2020-04-26 18:32:07.370 ZQuest Editor[7335:1011740] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Apr 26 18:32:07  ZQuest Editor[7335] <Error>: The function ‘SLSFlushWindow’ is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `SLSFlushWindowContentRegion' instead. 

Perhaps a dev can explain the messages (I'm not a coder by any means). I know support for Mac has been ended now that OSX 10.15 and beyond are 64-bit only, but I hope posting this as a workaround helps anyone looking for another avenue to running ZLauncher, ZQuest and Zelda Classic on 32-bit OSX Macs. also sorry for necroposting a nine month old thread but I figure this is super relevant pls don't ban me mods

Edited by Taco Chopper, 26 April 2020 - 04:17 AM.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 April 2020 - 05:37 AM

This is a big bad necropost, so I'm sorry but not sorry, but it is relevant to 2.50.2 for Mac. I've having similar issues with just getting ZQuest and ZLauncher to open, let alone run. Currently running Sierra but was running High Sierra more recently. Translocation hasn't helped either, ZQuest was coming up with a decrypting error.

In saying that, I have found a workaround to booting ZLauncher, as well as ZQuest and Zelda Classic. If you right click on the application, click show package contents, and then go into /Contents/MacOS/, you should be able to open the applications through Terminal without having any sort of boot dialogs come up.

Not sure if it's volatile or how risky it is though - when I open up ZQuest for example, Terminal comes up with this:

taco-Ok:~ tacochopper$ /Users/tacochopper/Downloads/Zelda-Classic\ -2.50.2-with-ZCL-Beta-2\ 2/ZQuest\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/ZQuest\ Editor ; exit;
2020-04-26 18:32:07.370 ZQuest Editor[7335:1011740] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Apr 26 18:32:07  ZQuest Editor[7335] <Error>: The function ‘SLSFlushWindow’ is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `SLSFlushWindowContentRegion' instead. 

Perhaps a dev can explain the messages (I'm not a coder by any means). I know support for Mac has been ended now that OSX 10.15 and beyond are 64-bit only, but I hope posting this as a workaround helps anyone looking for another avenue to running ZLauncher, ZQuest and Zelda Classic on 32-bit OSX Macs. also sorry for necroposting a nine month old thread but I figure this is super relevant pls don't ban me mods

IIRC, this issue is caused by Apple deprecating the Quart library. Basically, everything on which we depend, they have said 'No, we won't support that, now.' , so I am pleased that you found a workaround, and I will pass it on to anyone in the future. I may one day build Mac versions of 2.53.x and 2.55.x, but they will only work on 'Legacy OSX' versions. I still run 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 here. I can only build and sustain versions that are known to be compatible with those versions of OSX.

Even if we ported to 64-bit, this Quartz deprecation would become the next challenge, and an impossible one to overcome. Apple have basically said 'Code for iOS, or go home.' to all software developers, which is a shame, as I was a very-long-term Apple user (1977-2012).  I still run Apple ][ systems on a daily basis.

Don't worry about gravedigging. Nine months is not very long for ZC. Nine years, might be different. :)

• Russ likes this

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

"Gatekeeper" seems a fitting name then.

I feel like making an Apple II version that only connects to Asimov.net called Keymaster.

#11 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

Oh, man. I'm making a quest for my brother and he has a Mac. I hope it works.

#12 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:35 PM

Oh, man. I'm making a quest for my brother and he has a Mac. I hope it works.

Best be a 2.50.2 quest, then, for it to have any chance of working. Mac hates developers and programs, so, not much we can ever do about that.

• Lynel Richie likes this

#13 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:23 AM

Best be a 2.50.2 quest, then, for it to have any chance of working. Mac hates developers and programs, so, not much we can ever do about that.

Well, to be specific, Apple now discourage anyone from developing any software not intended for iOS or the Apple Store, in ways that prohibit open source development. Our issues stem from the fact that they deprecated a lot of compatibility/legacy features in the OS.

Short story, OSX releases of modern ZC are on hiatus because of these changes. We rely on Quartz, 32b unsigned app binaries, no 'app store' affiliation, and old XCode versions for compilation. Effectively, all of that is now dead, thanks to Apple's new standards.

To think that there was a time in my life when I only used Apple hardware.

I suggest using BootCamp (or a VM), or the modern equivalent and using Windows on top of OSX; or waiting for Linux ports. 2.54+ does not run using WINE, as WINE seemingly doesn't support our current libs, so OSX+WINE is not an option.

If he stays current with OSX, then even 2.50.2 is unlikely to run, as Apple have killed 32-bbit app support in the OS, so no 32b programme will execute. If he runs any OSX version later than Mojave, then he is fek'd for open source gaming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users