SotW Archive, Leaderboard, & Stats

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

I have a recommendation for the full archives page, if it wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Could you maybe split the older archives into different chunks by year, or something similar? That way, if someone wanted to navigate through older SotW entries, they wouldn't have to scroll through a whole gigantic page... and I imagine implementing it that way would make looking through the archives considerably less taxing on the server.

By the way, you did a great job on these! I'm really, really fond of the way these were implemented -- outside of the unwieldily large archives page, they're very easy to navigate and clean-yet-pretty looking. :>
  • Jared and Mero like this

#17 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Rambly. Having all 430+ contests on one page wasn't a problem when it was text only, but now with all the graphics, you're right; it seems better partitioned into sections. I'll try to implement something like that in the future when programming inspiration strikes.

#18 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

Java's most recent update broke the executable that generates the archive and leaderboard pages. I will update them as soon as I can resolve the issue (it may be as simple as rebuilding the project; we'll see). Stay tuned.

#19 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

So it appears that the screens from older contests appear to have vanished. All the screens from SotW 340 and before are no longer here.

#20 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:03 AM

They're appearing just fine for me in the Archives; are you having trouble viewing the pictures there or on the main site? I'm thinking SotW 340 was around the time when the site lost the .com suffix, and some image paths weren't redirected to .net or the redirection can be finicky.

#21 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, the problem is on the forums

Edited by Orithan, 17 November 2014 - 01:18 AM.

#22 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, the problem is on the forums

In my experience, sometimes the images redirect and sometimes they don't. I have zero power over it, unfortunately. :( If it makes things any better, I plan to restructure the archives into many smaller pages for easier maneuverability. That way you can check the winner of SotW 397 without having to download nearly 500 PNGs.

#23 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

Dropbox, who currently hosts all the leaderboards and archives pages, just decided to decimate my storage space, taking it from 17.4 GB to 2.4 GB overnight. I can't sync the archives and leaderboards without clearing 15 GB of data off my Dropbox, so it may take a little while before the SotW pages get updated.

Attached Files

#24 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:58 AM

Stats should be back up to date again. Let me know if you run into any issues or if I missed any name changes. :)

#25 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

Proudly announcing user galleries!

Now you can see every shot a member has submitted by clicking on his or her name in the leaderboards. This is a new feature that is very much under construction. I hope you enjoy it!

Here are some examples...
My gallery
Sheik's gallery
PrinceMSC's gallery

Let me know if you encounter any obvious bugs. :)

EDIT 2/18/17: Updated links to new domain.
  • Eddy and Logos like this

#26 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

That's awesome! Now I can just go and stare at my amazing shots in awe :P

#27 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

May I suggest possibly adding "Screenshot of the Year winners" as a category on the leader-boards? That alone seems like a pretty big accomplishment since there are less than 10, I believe (myself, by some divine miracle, included :blah:).

EDIT: Also, what are 'points'? How do they differ from votes? And does the leader board still strain the server? I almost feel guilty looking at it lol

#28 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

May I suggest possibly adding "Screenshot of the Year winners" as a category on the leader-boards? That alone seems like a pretty big accomplishment since there are less than 10, I believe (myself, by some divine miracle, included :blah:).

EDIT: Also, what are 'points'? How do they differ from votes? And does the leader board still strain the server? I almost feel guilty looking at it lol

I'm glad to hear you visited the page! :)

I've been planning to incorporate SotM and SotY winners for a while, but to be frank, I've been short on motivation.

Points are given like this: you get one point for every vote you get, plus one point for every vote by which you exceed your opponents' totals. This helps a LOT in big contests where getting say, 10 votes is way more impressive than getting 10 votes in a three-way contest.

I've been planning to split the archives page into multiple pages for a while, but that effort is still in the works. It has a better chance of happening than adding the SotM and SotY winners. I'll try to get it done one of these weekends. :)

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Anthus likes this

#29 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hello folks,

Dropbox recently revoked the ability for users to host webpages—the latest act in a long string of frustrating changes. Because I used Dropbox to host the Screenshot of the Week Archives and Leaderboards, the pages are no longer accessible. I will investigate other hosting options and I hope to get things up and running again soon. Thanks for your patience. :)
  • Anthus likes this

#30 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Archives and leaderboards are back with new addresses!

I'm aware of some issues on the site including slow loading times and the improper formatting of Lüt's and Isdrakthül's names. If you see anything else awry, please let me know. Thanks, folks. :)

EDIT 2/16/17: Retired the old Archives URL and substituted the new one.
  • Anthus and Eddy like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users