Photo

Screenshot of the Week 466

Migokalle Alestance Moosh Rastael Linkus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 466 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Alestance

Alestance.png

Through jungles twisted by a sinister power...

Moosh

Moosh.png

Can't let this base screen go to waste, can I?

Rastael

Rastael.png

What a nice cave to live in! :D

Migokalle

Migokalle.png

Link's little friend sees something familiar. And for the folks at home, you can look forward to some new tiles and this new palette by Linkus in the next update of the Firebird tileset!

Linkus

Linkus.png

Link's face would melt off in more realistic conditions...

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

I voted for Batman's sidekick this week.

#3 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Voted for Linkus, only because his picture showed me something new to try doing with the Firebird tileset.

• The Satellite likes this

#4 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

I voted for Linkus' screen this week.  It kind of reminds me of the Molag Amur region in Morrowind.

#5 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

good stuff this week.  voted for Robin's despite playable character's... uh... discordance.

#6 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Absolutely love the volcanic rock look in Linkus' shot. Got my vote.

#7 Shane

Shane

đŸ’™

• Moderators

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

Uhhhh ohhhh, what to vote for? They are all so amazing!

I'm probably going to null this round, this is a tough week!

• Rastael likes this

#8 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Alestance - Unfortunately, this screenshot continues to echo problems I have with Koten as a set. In this case, the colors make everything feel very un-integrated. Especially the dead tree compared to the other trees. I think it comes down to the fact that the dead tree appears brighter of a color than the other ones in the bottom right of the screen, which really seems out of place. Also, Link and the Manhandla appear to exist "on top" of everything as opposed to being a part of the world. I don't think the screen as a whole is designed poorly, I just really don't like the stylistic elements that are rooted in the tileset of choice.

Moosh - This screen bleeds atmosphere, and someone really needs to get a mop to clean that up. I love the more monochromatic palette here and this comes off as a place I'd love to explore. I do wish we could see enemies/Link on the screen, because I always prefer seeing how the screen looks in action, but that doesn't detract from how inspiring this looks.

Rastael - Does... does Talon not know how beds work? Don't get me wrong, the screen is a very effective cave dwelling and I really like the overall way it feels. I'm not a huge fan of the wooden floor in the bottom right, since it feels very... separate from the rest of the cave floor. It'd be great if there was a way to make it look more integrated as opposed to having it more like a wooden rug.

Migokalle - For my analysis, let me pretend Link isn't there for a moment. The screen's colors are really nice and muted, giving almost a foreboding feeling. As if there's a storm brewing or some sort of dark cloud hangs over everything. I don't know if that was the intent, but it feels that way and works very well if it was the goal. Unfortunately, then we have to add Link back in, who sticks out like a sore thumb on this screen. While I get wanting to make sure the player can be easily found among the background, here he just seems out of place, almost as if he's on a different plane from the rest of the world. His colors are too bright and I feel it distracts from an otherwise very nice screen.

Linkus - Not only would Link's face melt in more realistic conditions, but I'm pretty sure that water would evaporate as well. I actually find my eye drawn to the water pool and asking "why is that here?" I think the colors of the screen and the way it's laid out are very nice and pleasing to the eye, and provide an area that I would like to see more of. But that water pool and then that tree in the upper left corner just sort of seem out of place? That's probably being nitpicky (not everything has to be realistic, I get that), but I do think the screen would work better and have a more consistent tone without them. Also, this appears to be the same tileset from Migo's shot, but Link looks perfectly fine here, so that's odd.

Overall, I'm giving the nod to Moosh this week, but just barely over Migokalle and Linkus.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#9 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

woohoo, already two votes! :D

Great shots! I would vote for Migokalle, but I'm in the contest too, so...

...*nulled* ^^

Rastael - Does... does Talon not know how beds work? Don't get me wrong, the screen is a very effective cave dwelling and I really like the overall way it feels. I'm not a huge fan of the wooden floor in the bottom right, since it feels very... separate from the rest of the cave floor. It'd be great if there was a way to make it look more integrated as opposed to having it more like a wooden rug.

You're right, the floor looks a bit seperate. I designed this screen some years ago. It's a hommage to a friend of mine, who sometimes sleeps in a cave.

That he sleeps beside his bed is a joke of mine. ;)

Edited by Rastael, 28 July 2014 - 09:57 AM.

• DCEnygma likes this

#10 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I voted for Migo this week, that's a pretty awesome palette! :D

#11 Shane

Shane

đŸ’™

• Moderators

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

That he sleeps beside his bed is a joke of mine. ;)

The bed's too comfy for anyone to fall asleep on eh?

• Rastael likes this

#12 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

I voted for Migokalle, though I'm a little iffy on the palette. I can see that it's trying to be different, natural, and perhaps more realistic—but my first reaction is that it needs more contrast. It strikes me as rather drab and murky right now. With that said, I like the setting, detail, and Hylian Phoenix(?) statue.

Alestance's shot is bright and lively, but a little confused between the walls and the cliffs and the live trees and the dead trees and the white enemies... It's like there are too many things demanding my focus.

Moosh's is simple and functional. The small twig trees(?) look a little flat to me, but that's a minor issue.

Rastael has a nice cave shot. The MC graphics are nice, especially in the walls. It doesn't benefit from a competitive week, though.

Linkus' is also really nice. I like the subtle use of water alongside the fire, the contrast of the slightly-alive tree versus the totally charred dead trees. A shot like this would get my vote most weeks.
  • Linkus, Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder and Rastael like this

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

With 46.81% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 466 is Migokalle!

Migokalle.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- Alestance (3 votes [6.38%])
- Moosh (6 votes [12.77%])
- Rastael (3 votes [6.38%])
- Migokalle (22 votes [46.81%])
- Linkus (13 votes [27.66%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Migokalle, Alestance, Moosh, Rastael, Linkus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users