Terrible News

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

Well, I am still freaking out but let me just start from the beginning. My computer has never messed up before and my Norton virus thing ran out a couple of monthes ago, so I was getting worried that my computer had a virus since it been unprotected for a while. So, I found that thread where you guys were praising AVG antivirus for free, so I decided to download it. When it was finished downloading, this is where the problem started. I couldn't open up the program. It said that the program cannot be found or something like that. However, I found a way to use it, I want to C: and right-clicked it and scaned the computer. During the scan, I noticed that it wasn't just letting me open up the AVG program, it wasn't letting me open any program. It said that the program cannot be found. I found out that I couldn't open the internet by clicking on it, but I could get on if I opened my saved website to bring it up; hard to explain. Anyways, the scan was finished and there were some viruses, or spyware or whatever, so I read through them and deleted the ones it said too. Well I guess I deleted the wrong thing, because all of a sudden, I couldn't open up control panel and such because it says rundll32.exe is missing. O_o So I freaked out, and tryed to download windowsupdate because I thought it would have solved it, but nope, I just added to the problem. Since I downloaded it, my computer will restart very single time I go on the internet (I mean the second I get on). So, I know it is windowsupdate, so I do to unstall that, but I can't go to add/remove programs because rundll32.exe. On top of that, now the programs like ZC won't come up because it doesn't no how to open it. So my computer is pretty screwed right now.

I was freaking out all last night, but I had to get my mind out of it somehow because I had a test right now. But nothing on computer works, and I can't go on the internet. Then I start thinking of all of things on my computer. If I lose my zelda games, my pictures, and my movies I will kill someone. I am truely freaking out. Anyways, the reason why I said terrible news is because this means, my games and screwed if I can't get this to work. "The Hero of Dreams" may be saved because my testers have the extra copys (only I would have to do a lot of things over) but how am I going to work on it with no computer? And I don't have money to buy a video game nonetheless a new computer. "The Dark Shadow" is screwed if I can't get it back because I added tons of stuff to it and didn't make a copy. "The Eye of the Moon" is actually in the hands of Linkman90 right now, so that is good, but I don't know when I will get to work on it because of this. Hopefully I can get this thing fixed.

Anyways, I am at a school computer right now. I am going to see if my computer reads CD's so I can save all of my important stuff, in case something happens, but I am just hoping that the computer allows me to do that, since it isn't letting me do anything else.

Well, I am leaving out of town tomorrow until Sunday, so I won't be here to even figure out what happened to my computer. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you what is happening if you notice my absence. Anyways, I have to do homework of all things, so I will come back to the computer lab later to see if you guys know my problem or just respond. Thanks.

--Shoelace

#2 Ben

Ben

Extremely retired administrator

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

You need to reinstall Windows - rundll32.exe is a critical part of the OS. Actually, I think originally a reboot would have solved your problem. AVG probably wasn't it.

#3 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

That's terrible. Hearing stuff like this always makes me feel badly;
I know how much time and effort is put into not only zquest, but everything on one's PC.
I hope you can get everything working properly again, good luck.

#4 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

You need to reinstall Windows - rundll32.exe is a critical part of the OS. Actually, I think originally a reboot would have solved your problem. AVG probably wasn't it.

Hmmm.... I am looking through Yahoo Search and reading a lot about rundll32.exe to see if I can reinstall it. I really hope that I still have the windows CD. Also, the reason why I didn't want to reboot is because I was afraid that it would erase my things on my computer and I don't have backups on a lot of things. The reason why I didn't do that yet is because of a test that I was studying for.

If I reboot the computer, will it erase anything on my computer, like pictures, and my programs. If so, I will reboot, but it will take me a while to make backups.

#5 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:15 PM

IF YOU WANT TO SAVE YOUR STUFF, HERE IS WHAT YOU DO:
Get a floppy disk
Put alleg41.dll, Hero of Dreams, and other stuff you want to keep in the floppy, if the floppy is full, get another one.
Now, all of your stuff is ganna go away.
REBOOT your computer, you need this CD to do it... just ask some computer guy in a computer store for that CD.

REBOOT YOUR COMP!
everything is bak to normal, with ALL of your stuff gone exept for internet explorer and those basic stuff... RE-INSTALL ZC and all the other things you lost.

Pronto, this is what I do when I have a virus.

OOPS! insert your floppy in, and copy the files inside into the ZC folder. Replace the Alleg41.dll with the one you downloaded, so you can play whereever you are in ZC.

#6 Sabre2552

Sabre2552

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your computer. It always sucks when you get a virus or other object on it. I had a Trojin on my computer that was so stubborn, and would not get off no matter what.

Also, here's another way to save your stuff:

Firstly, use another computer to burn to a CD a Linux distribution that can be run using solely a CD. After burning it and booting it up on your computer at the start, grab all the files that mean something to you and burn them onto a CD. Clear and reinstall Windows on your hard drive, and then put the CD you burned in and copy all the important files onto your fresh hard drive.

Voila! Your stuff is safe, and your computer is now cleaner! I hope everything turns out well.

#7 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

I was going to suggest that. Getting a Linux Live CD. If you have a flash drive, (but if not...) I would try burning the files, or copying them to the internet, or sending them to someone from a Linux Live CD.. And yeah, you will probably have to reinstall Windows

#8 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:44 PM

instead of a floppy disk... how about burning a CD?

#9 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

What is up with everyone's computer crashing?

First it was Radien, then PolygonX8, then Me, now you? icon_blink.gif

At any rate, I hope all of your stuff is okay... If you can still access files on the C Drive, I'd back up the ones you really care about by any means necissary... But I'm sure you've already tried that? icon_neutral.gif

I really hope all turns out well for you... You may not know it, but I do pay attention to HoD, and I have been waiting for it for quite some time, and if it's lost someone's gon' get a bullet in the head...

#10 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, as I said before, I am going to save everything onto CD, so I can have a backup. I can't put my stuff on the internet as I can't go on the internet from my computer because it restarts everytime. The only thing is I have GB's of stuff on my computer (Mostly movie files on my MBW and pictures). So I would have to use a lot of CDs. But as long as I still have everything. I just hope that the computer reads the CD's and lets me save to it, since nothing else is working. Anyways, I will be getting back to my apartment in a hour or two, so I will tell you guys how it went.

Thanks guys. icon_razz.gif

Also, I don't have a floppy disk drive on my computer, so I can't do anything about that.

REBOOT YOUR COMP!
everything is bak to normal, with ALL of your stuff gone exept for internet explorer and those basic stuff... RE-INSTALL ZC and all the other things you lost.

I have so many things on my computer it would suck to do that. But I guess I will have to do that if all else fails. icon_frown.gif

#11 Ben

Ben

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

Back up your files any way possible and reinstall the OS. That's all I can tell you. :/

Oh, and XDragonSB...I appreciate the fact that you're trying to help...but you really don't know what you're talking about. icon_blink.gif

#12 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Okay, well I am in the process of backing up files. I still don't want to erase everything because of all the programs I will lose. Some of my CD's for my things I have, are missing and such, so I may not be able to get the programs back.

Also, if I do reinstall the Windows thing, will everything erase? I am hoping it won't do anything, but yeah. Also, you know what is weird, my rundll32 is in the correct folders. However, the computer just ain't reading it. O_o I think that is my problem. For some reason it isn't letting my read certain programs. I just need to figure out what the heck is going on.

#13 Ben

Ben

• Members

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

Well...THAT could be a virus attack. If you don't have rundll32.exe, you can't run your virus scanner. Effective, eh? :\

I recommend you reformat the hard disk and reinstall anew. Tough, but sometimes...you gotta do it.

#14 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

This is probably worthless since you can't start anything.
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
But this is one of the best Spyware detecters I have seen and it's a beta....Everyone's computer is crashing. My sister found 16 detections of Spyware on her computer while I found 2. Her's was really really bad and barely a half-year old....

#15 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

You have an option in AVG to restore your computer as it was before you scanned it, you might read up on that first.
In other words the rundll 32 is still there somewhere, you just have to retrieve it.
You can also do a restore in windows back to the date just before you had the problem.

sounds like to me you had your rundll32 pirated and AVG saw it and gave it the boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users