Found it. Thanks!

#167 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

Some new tiles to throw into the tileset:

y7QuhzP.png

The plant tiles themselves. These are compatible both with the Overworld and the Brown cave palettes currently in the tileset and use CSets 2-4.

S1gn6yz.png

Alternative flower colours, overlaid on the actual flower tiles. These are compatible with CSets 5, 7-8.

All are rips from Lufia: Ruins of Lore and credit goes to Previous for uploading the original rips to the Spriters Resorce.

Edit: Example screen using the flowers:

thGimxn.png

Edited by Orithan, 03 August 2015 - 09:10 PM.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, Shane, Jared and 3 others like this

#168 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Aco3wUq.png

Shield Moblins.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder, Jared and coolgamer012345 like this

#169 JoJimbo

JoJimbo

• Members

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hey when tileset going to be updated? Or where I can download the latest stuff, not necessarily put into ZQuest tileset, but as images at least? :)

#170 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hate to be that guy, but I've been wondering, what's become of this tileset? It's been quite a while since the last update. :P

#171 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

I doubt it's been worked on, sadly. Jonathan hasn't been around since October. I reckon the only work done on it is through Orithan and his custom work. Not that that's a bad thing at all. :)

• Demonlink likes this

#172 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:48 AM

So is 1.02 the most current version? It's the one I have, and it looks to be the most current. I was messing around with this, and made some screens based off of areas in Z1, but I'm not sure if I would want to continue with this for my proposed "3rd Quest" since I'm not sure what is missing still. It seems like everything would be there to create a fairly simple NES style quest though.

Looks like doors are still broken, and there don't seem to be any NPCs yet, either. These are things I could fix/ add, but I was curious to if this is still being worked on, and if the creators are still accepting edits/ help. I'd love ot see this fully finished. :)

I also want to point out, that I consider this set to be pretty layer-heavy, in spite of its description. Not a big deal though. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to churn out some nice looking screens in about five minutes per screen. It's also worth mentioning that this is coming from someone who has done 95% of their screen designing with Classic for the last few years, mostly :P

Here's a few screens. Dunno what will come of this. These are the result of practicing, and learning where the tiles are.

remHoYj.png

• Jared, Cukeman and Joelmacool like this

#173 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:27 AM

I need around 30 minutes for a screen not looking half as good as these ones... :D
If I got right what your aim is I don't think Firebird is the best choice for you. Firebird will just look plain if you want to stay near the original 3rd in design and if you redesign the quest it will result more in a "based on"-version. There are also a few other more classic like tilesets I think more fit and if you want to stay near the original but want to add a few new elements like with koten for the 2nd I would say instrumentally would be perfect for that. BTW, I know to not use overlayers for trees looks slightly odd in tilesets like Firebird, but as in the GB-games it is not that bad, at least for a classic-design I would say to just make them full solid.

BTW, I am sure there is already someone remaking the original Games in Firebird.
  • Anthus likes this

#174 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

BTW, I am sure there is already someone remaking the original Games in Firebird.

This is actually a project I've been working on and off with, but I see no reason why two people can't try the same project. Plus I was planning on reinterpreting the original game, rather than making a "third quest".
  • Anthus likes this

#175 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, look how many Z1 based Pure Quests there are lol.

And, I'm also not 100% set on this set (..lol). I just made a few screens to test the set out, and see if it is good to use which it is, imo, from a screen drawing standpoint. If I did fully remake the Z1 overworld, there would be areas that are re-arranged slightly, to make it look better. For example, most stuff in Classic is based on a single tile design. Firebird uses lots of 2x2 tiles, even for smaller objects. The biggest real change I think, would be to the waterways flowing through the overworld, since Firebird would look odd using one-tile-wide rivers.

I also love seeing what different people interpret from the first LoZ game, the very reason we are all here on this site. :P

EDIT: So after working a little bit more I actually really like the way the grass works. I always thought it looked so natural, and awesome, and didn't realize how big a difference that one small, layer-able tile makes over the cliff bases. It really helps break up the grid. Another reason this set is so aesthetically pleasing is because of that; it does a great job of breaking up the grid that is often all too visible in ZC quests but it's not always a bad thing. I also like how there are layer-able grass borders. This is something I've always done to sets myself when working on them for my own stuff, and it really makes a huge difference, when you consider how much tile and combo space it saves at the expense of a few extra seconds on screen set up.

If I made an edit to this, with door combo-sets set up using the existing location of the door combos (and changing some of those to the correct ones) could that be added back into the main package for everyone else? I'm willing to do it, but I want everyone to be able to use it who is already using this set, assuming they haven't done it themselves, and haven't moved their door combos.

#176 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:24 AM

This is actually a project I've been working on and off with, but I see no reason why two people can't try the same project. Plus I was planning on reinterpreting the original game, rather than making a "third quest".

I only mentioned it so Anthus might ask you how you solved things like the door-problem, I don't see a problem with you both doing similar projects. Any Firbird-game is a win :D

@ Anthus, what I meant is that I understand you projects goal to set example-quests for peolple to get into and understand ZC better. Of course how to design a good looking quest with more complex tilesets is also something you have to learn, but I think it interfers a bit with the things most important. I mean a short tutorial is better to teach you how to use overhead layers for trees and backgrounds and even with this knowledge (and example screens), to learn to really design a screen yourself is something else, I am for example far away from your standard. On the contrary, after using Classic and Koten the next step could be something like secrets on multiple layers, over-under bridges and more complex puzzles/enemys to show the limits of ZC without scripting and I can imagine that someone who really wants to learn these things through your example quest could get confused with the more complex and detailed screens.

BTW, I actually try to avoid the messed up doors with tile warps (insta, also helpful for freeform-dungeons) and rooms over multiple screens. This works rather nice for me, but don't know how this will work with the doors and can create problems with the feather item (since you can just jump over the stair combo). Also any idea how use the chest-opening animation? I like the idea, but the screen-freeze creates a odd situation (opens fully only after you got the item early). One more things are the mc-steps, they look to high and more like a solid combo to me, your opinion?
  • Anthus likes this

#177 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure if the third quest would be unpassworded, as it would be different in many ways from the NES games. It wouldn't function really as a learning tool, but more as an actual quest. I mean, I guess it could be unpassworded, since there really is no honest reason for it to be passworded, but as far as a learning tool, I think Firebird is pretty advanced, imo, and expects the users to already know the basic to intermediate ins, and outs of ZC. That said, I'm not so sure if Firebird would be a good set to give to someone and say "hey, learn ZC". I agree with that. This was also not going to be part of my NES/ Koten thang. That is separate.

I am in favor of having door combos set up, just for my own personal use. I know there are ways to make working doors with out them, but it will add a ton of time to the making of the quest if you have to set each door up with flags and whatnot. Plus, like you said, you can simply jump over the triggers, unless there is a "no jump" flag, but I don't think there is. As far as chest opening animations, I have not looked at the one in this particular set, but I think they are meant to work with combo cycling. The opening chest cycles to the open chest, and the secret that triggers the chest calls the opening animation combo. I'm not sure what to do about the screen freeze. Maybe set the secret sfx on the screen to none? I dunno though, honestly. I'm also not a huge fan of the MC steps, mostly cause they require layers, but this makes sense cause of the color issues, and the creators wanted to keep the use of 8-bit color limited I think. I like the single-tile-wide stairs in the set though. They look quite nice, and fit with the GB-esque mountain style better, IMO.

#178 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

http://imgur.com/75BHpNm

Hey, has someone here made 2x2 dungeon decoration or could make something similiar to the ones above? I would be especially happy about a big pot and the one eyed statue. I try my best to sprite myself but for these ones I couldn't make anything so far...

#179 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

Hey again. I am thinking of messing a bit around with pallets for dungeons in firebird but the existing ones seem messed up to me. Since I might create a quest one day with firebird I would like to create palettes that can easily included into the tileset, do you have some tips for me? Like which c-sets I can best use and which one I better leave untouched or how I should sort the colours in a c-set, for example if I want to have 5 tones of one colour instead of the typical 3 which colours should I change for the additional two.
  • Astromeow likes this

#180 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

http://imgur.com/iwa0Ols

tried to make some walls with lower walls based on the first triple dungeon. Yeah, couldn't manage even this.

While the actual walls in Firebird look great and work well with simple rooms (area surrounded with walls), you have pretty big problems with rooms devided with walls or using lower walls like you often do with EZGBZ (like Shane did here http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=70035)

Edited by Naru, 06 May 2016 - 02:12 PM.

• Jared, Demonlink and Astromeow like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users