• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#1 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

tango.zh 1.2.0 and demo

"Tango" is derived from "text augmentation." Shut up, it does too make sense.
tango.zh provides:
  • A simple way to display strings with any font, backdrop, sounds, etc.
  • The ability to extend built-in fonts with new characters or create entirely new fonts
  • An easy way to create menus
  • Extensible string scripting capabilities
The documentation is admittedly pretty daunting. If you're new to this, I'd suggest looking over the overview and basic usage sections of tangoUsage.txt, then tangoQickStart.zh.

In addition, here are a couple of related utilities:
Character list quest - use this to browse all printable characters in the built-in fonts
Tile font helper quest - use this to create custom fonts
PC font converter
  • Rambly, Timelord, Demonlink and 2 others like this

#2 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

This is cool! I'm looking forward to its final release! :D Great job, Saffith!

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

So this comes out literally just after I finished scripting a custom subscreen/menu system. :doh:

This sounds pretty cool though. I'll give this a look, and probably use it later on, because it seems very helpful. Thanks. And just, in general, thanks for making all these awesome headers Saffith. I can't imagine trying to script half the stuff I've done without the headers like ghost.zh you make.

#4 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Custom fonts, FINALLY! Now I will eventually throw CV2 and CV3 fonts into my Castlevania tileset!

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well, this is certainly awesome. I'll definitely mess around with this and whatnot. Thanks for sharing this! After looking at the demo, I'm excited to see what I can do with this. :D I'll definitely report in my thoughts and stuff once I actually get rolling with it. :3

#6 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Wow! This tango.zh is so amazing. I like how you can insert the player's name (the name of the save file), and especially that character portrait/2 character conversation dialog feature. I probably won't be using any other languages, like or Japanese, however, as I don't really understand any language other than English.

By the way, how would I go about including this tango.zh in my script file along with other .zh files like string.zh, and ghost.zh?

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

wait... with this you can make the file name the player gives there game file the characters name in game, i will be using this eventually for my Oot!

• Shane likes this

#8 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

I forgot to have an NPC set to play message 7. :P Ah, well. Not the most important one.

By the way, how would I go about including this tango.zh in my script file along with other .zh files like string.zh, and ghost.zh?

It'll be slightly more work than ghost.zh. You have to import the main file and at least one font (they're excluded by default to reduce global variable usage). There are two (soon to be three) functions to put in the active global script. You'll also have to define at least one style. That's pretty straightforward; check the demo's styles.zh to see what it looks like.
That's the minimum neccesary. There are some slightly more complex configuration options, like for the number and sizes of available strings, but the defaults should be fine. Custom string functions can be shared with a little copying and pasting; that's no worse than combining simple global scripts, I think.

#9 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

It'll be slightly more work than ghost.zh. You have to import the main file and at least one font (they're excluded by default to reduce global variable usage). There are two (soon to be three) functions to put in the active global script. You'll also have to define at least one style. That's pretty straightforward; check the demo's styles.zh to see what it looks like.
That's the minimum neccesary. There are some slightly more complex configuration options, like for the number and sizes of available strings, but the defaults should be fine. Custom string functions can be shared with a little copying and pasting; that's no worse than combining simple global scripts, I think.

I have an idea:
Add a helper header "cache.zh" which will store some default configurations and automate most of the setup!!

Meep meep! *....zooms away.*

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Oh wowwy !!

:drool:

This is really amazing, and finally I can add Ä, Ü and Ö for my german strings (lol).

But seriously, this looks extremely nice and I can't wait for this to be finished, Saffith!!

#11 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Since I already made the Tango and Cache joke, I guess I gotta be the one to say it: Why not just put some of this stuff directly into zc?

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm going to give this a try, although it seems very intense in reading the functions; probably far over my brow. I think it would be vry useful to create multiple-option dialogue, and Dragon Quest style menu options. If it cn do custom subscreen functions, so much the better.

I also see high value in title screens with this... Consider also that this would allow the player to enter a name and store that as a constant (e.g., TANGO_SETNAME, TANGO_GETNAME) that is different to that of the .sav file name, and then use this in-game, and as the name is stored as a string of some kind, it can be longer, while still keeping the quest name in the game selection menu.

I expect that once I figure out how the styles work, most of the other functions should be easier. I expect that your goal here is to streamline all of the functions as well as resolve any game-breaking bugs?

In a final version, I would love to see mass functions such as TANGO_DIALOGUEBOX and TANGO_CONTEXTMENU, for making a dialogue box that is associated with specific strings, and follows an if / while chain, and a context menu for making a simple DQ Examine, Take, Search, Inventory, Spell, etc. type of menu system, particularly if it is easy to establish the functions of these.

#13 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

When you say custom subscreens, what do you mean? No more large passive? Multiple page actives? Hmm...so many possibilities!

Edited by Jared, 14 July 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Pretty much both, or anything you want. With how I read Tango, because you can create menus that set functions, you could eliminate all subscreens and put black and white status and command boxes on the screen instead, or use a subscreen with a special contextual menu that appears when you press EXT, or make a subscreen from scratch as MM did.

So many possibilities...agreed. This is a very brill new ZH, albeit confusing at a glance, that I want to experiment with and around. Assuming I can make a basic dialogue box, and go from there, I think I could figure out how to make menus, as I discussed in several other places.

I also like the idea of branching story paths, and player actions changing dialogue, or being able to have a Q/A dialogue with NPCs vis this. The fact that I can use fonts is also especially interesting, as I can (in theory) use my Zoraec font in-game. I assume that Tango uses TTFs, and that I don;t need to re-draw each symbol as a tile?

#15 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Since I already made the Tango and Cache joke, I guess I gotta be the one to say it: Why not just put some of this stuff directly into zc?

Explain Gleeok, cause I have no idea what your talking aboout

Edited by LordVolcanon, 15 July 2013 - 02:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users