Photo

Screenshot of the Week 339

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (74 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Oct 2 2011, 04:38 PM) View Post

Dawnlight
The screen is OK, but the palette is less than OK IMHO. 7/10

What 2 colors (one for walls & statues and one for floors) do you recommend? Palette color is one criticism I got from my backup crew. I'm open for suggestions. icon_smile.gif

#17 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 2 2011, 05:17 PM) View Post

What 2 colors (one for walls & statues and one for floors) do you recommend? Palette color is one criticism I got from my backup crew. I'm open for suggestions. icon_smile.gif

I'd say either make the walls bluish gray to match the floor or make the floor a dark brown to match the walls. I don't see any reason to have floors and walls as vastly different colors, but then again, what do I know about palettes? *Points to entry*

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 02 October 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#18 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Cool, eight shots this week.

TK: Hey, cool, those're the Pokémon mountains I have in the database. That's cool. Glad they're being put to use. In actuality, I was afraid there would be serious perspective issues with them, but it looks like they actually work here. I probably would've layered some ground detail on them, though. Only thing that really bothers me is the castle wall in the bottom-left corner there, where it meets the water. Doesn't seem natural. 7/10

Furion: It's alright for basic Classic. Interesting icy palette, a lot going on. The ground detail seems a little too heavy-handed to me though, if that makes any sense. 6.5/10

ChunkeM0nkey: I don't think I've seen any Mario-themed shots lately. There seem to be some perspective issues here, most notably with the hills, and I dunno what's up with that incredibly out-of-place sprite in the middle. Aside from that... Just seems kind of bland to me. It reminds me of stuff made in ZC's early days, and not in a particularly good way. 5.5/10

Ventus: Interesting. The rain looks rather awkward, and the clouds on top seem quite misshapen, but aside from that, it seems you succeeded in what you tried to do. There's a good strong sense of power and evil there. I like it. 7.5/10

Adem: Meh. Basic GBC. There really isn't much to it. Not enough ground-detail, no variety in the trees, and there just isn't anything interesting going on. It's functional, but that's about it. 4/10

Pokemonmaster64: Not sure if this was meant to be a joke shot or not, but... I kind of like it. Yeah, go figure. Instead of s***ting all over the screen like everyone else did, you managed to do something different, while keeping the screen perfectly functional. It's very psychedelic. Like it. 7/10

Dawnlight: Oh my god. This is utterly fantastic. The tiles, palette, and screen-design all come together near-perfectly. I'm not sure I can really point anything out that I don't like. 9.5/10

Ebola: I like it. For GBC, it's very nice. Don't really know what else to say, really. 7.5/10

Now for the other six shots. You know what? I'm going to be totally, 100% honest here. No sugar-coating.

Get this s*** out. I'm sick and goddamn tired of wading through these s***ty, asinine attempts at being edgy/avant-garde. Or are you just trying to be funny? If that's the case then you've all failed even more miserably. In either case, this is not what this contest was made for, and you all know it. Don't give me that "well it was made in ZC so it counts" bull s***. It's outright insulting to everyone who actually put time and effort into their submissions. If this is any indication as to the direction this forum and community are headed in, then I want no part of it any longer. Period.

#19 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Oct 2 2011, 06:24 PM) View Post

Pokemonmaster64: Not sure if this was meant to be a joke shot or not, but... I kind of like it. Yeah, go figure. Instead of s***ting all over the screen like everyone else did, you managed to do something different, while keeping the screen perfectly functional. It's very psychedelic. Like it. 7/10

Yeah, even among joke shots, I don't follow the crowd. Sadly it appears overall, people didn't like my mutant child between a joke shot and a legit one...

#20 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Oct 2 2011, 08:24 PM) View Post

Now for the other six shots. You know what? I'm going to be totally, 100% honest here. No sugar-coating.

Get this s*** out. I'm sick and goddamn tired of wading through these s***ty, asinine attempts at being edgy/avant-garde. Or are you just trying to be funny? If that's the case then you've all failed even more miserably. In either case, this is not what this contest was made for, and you all know it. Don't give me that "well it was made in ZC so it counts" bull s***. It's outright insulting to everyone who actually put time and effort into their submissions. If this is any indication as to the direction this forum and community are headed in, then I want no part of it any longer. Period.

This contest was made for screenshots, and those are screenshots. And they're not insulting, they may look so terrible that they make the other shots look good, you never know. Seriously, you need to lighten up a bit. Being angry and typing s*** every two words won't help justify anything. It's just a contest, one section of the forum, people are mature outside of this section, and those screenshots are fine.

#21 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

Twilight_Knight

It's not all that bad, but the perspective is definitely weird with how all those cliffs just disappear. 6/10

Furion

Nice classic screen and stuff. It looks like an outdoor dungeon, and I like that. 8/10

Sheik91

This trend needs to be shot in the face. But props for at least making it look nice. 3/10

Alison

The actual shot looks nice, but the way you displayed it makes it suck. 2/10

ChunkeM0nkey

I don't really like the Mario tileset that much, but as far as I'm concerned, you made it look pretty nice. 7/10

Ventus

Nice classic shot and stuff. Perspective is a bit weird, but I think that's okay. 7/10

blackbishop89

Really? Really, guys? This isn't even screen design any more. 0/10

Adem

I don't really like the paths, but apart from that it's very nice. 8.5/10

William

Given what's on the screen, I feel it appropriate to ask: "What is this s***?" 1/10

Shane

I get your statement, but your screen still sucks. 0/10

Pokemonmaster64

I might like this screen if it didn't make my eyes bleed. 2/10

Robin

Really, Robin? Have you honestly stooped to this? I mean, I like your sprite work, but I don't want a screen full of the same damn thing over and over again. 2/10

Dawnlight

Very, very nice dungeon shot. 9/10

Ebola Zaire

Honestly, literally, absolutely no complaints. To me, this screen is perfect. 10/10 and vote.

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Oct 2 2011, 07:24 PM) View Post

100% Agreed. Seriously people, grow up.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Rover @ Oct 2 2011, 07:44 PM) View Post

This contest was made for screenshots, and those are screenshots. And they're not insulting, they may look so terrible that they make the other shots look good, you never know. Seriously, you need to lighten up a bit. Being angry and typing s*** every two words won't help justify anything. It's just a contest, one section of the forum, people are mature outside of this section, and those screenshots are fine.

1. Whether or not something is insulting or not is opinion, not fact, and you can't claim it to be.
2. He's not trying to justify anything, you are.
3. If you are immature in one section of the forums but not others, then you are still immature.

Edited by Ornlu, 02 October 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#22 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Oct 2 2011, 07:24 PM) View Post

it was made in ZC so it counts
It's called "Screenshot of the week." They're screenshots. It's a week. It's precisely what the contest was made for. I was seeing how far I could push the rules with my shot this week.
If these shots weren't meant to be here, Ebola wouldn't accept them.

And you have no proof that people aren't putting time and effort into these submissions, and you also have no proof anybody is putting time and effort into the so-called "real" submissions either. Most of them definitely had more thought go into them than half the screens nowadays. And personally, I'm a lot more insulted by something along the lines of like "here is a DoR forest screen that uses a default palette and random detail placement" than anything.

You people should all grow up and be able take a joke or some change for once.

Edited by Alison, 02 October 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#23 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Oct 2 2011, 08:48 PM) View Post

EDIT:

1. Whether or not something is insulting or not is opinion, not fact, and you can't claim it to be.
2. He's not trying to justify anything, you are.
3. If you are immature in one section of the forums but not others, then you are still immature.

1. You're right, it's not an opinion, they're not insulting. Thanks for agreeing with me.
2. He's obviously trying to prove a point if he wants to go out and call people's work s***.
3. Posting screenshots is not immature, you're just showing of something that didn't take much effort. Not putting effort into things is defiently being immature, wait no it's not...

#24 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Oct 2 2011, 06:48 PM) View Post

Pokemonmaster64

I might like this screen if it didn't make my eyes bleed. 2/10

Cool story bro. Theoretically, what would you give it if it didn't make your ears bleed? icon_razz.gif

#25 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Alison @ Oct 2 2011, 08:50 PM) View Post

You people should all grow up and be able take a joke or some change for once.

No. We took the joke when Rover did it last contest. With this week having just about half the entries jokes, it's gone far enough. If anything, the people with joke screens should grow up and not follow the "stupid" crowd.

#26 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

ENOUGH OF THIS.

All of you are getting worked up over nothing. Yes, the joke shots are s***, there's no denying that. (EDIT: Referencing this post, I would like to clarify that I meant to say the joke shot fad is s***, but that's just my opinion and by no means definitive commentary.) So ignore them; they're not worth giving your attention to nor attempting to start drama over. Do what some people do: Don't even talk about them at all. In this case, you make more of a statement by saying nothing.

People are overreacting on both ends. On the one end, there's people taking the joke shots too seriously. Again, just ignore them and don't attempt to start drama over them. On the other, don't try to self-justify yourself with "you need to take a joke" comments. Yes, it's just a contest that means nothing and it's the quest that matters in the end, but that's no excuse for any of you to be an ass about it.

So both of you. Kindly. Shut the hell up. It'll avoid a lot of drama in the future. Thank you.

Anyways I voted for Dawnlight. Usually don't vote for dungeon screens but it was a damn good one. icon_thumbsup.gif

#27 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Oct 2 2011, 06:58 PM) View Post

No. We took the joke when Rover did it last contest. With this week having just about half the entries jokes, it's gone far enough. If anything, the people with joke screens should grow up and not follow the "stupid" crowd.

But none of them are winning this time. Let's face it. There will always be jokers in this contest. You can't control it. Why make the effort to take notice of their presence?

TS says shut up. I will shut up.

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 02 October 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#28 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Oct 2 2011, 07:59 PM) View Post

All of you are getting worked up over nothing. Yes, the joke shots are s***, there's no denying that.

I deny that. Some of them are, some of them aren't.
It's not cool to just call shots s***. I could have called any of the other shots s*** and you'd have freaked out. A shot is a shot, whether you like it or not.

I've been submitting "joke shots" since before Rover was born.
Please tell me one way this is "stupid." "Normal" screens are stupider than any of these half the time in my opinion.

Everybody: Stop dismissing these screens as being s*** without any criticism towards them. If you don't like them that's your opinion, but you don't have to go around and call us stupid and say our stuff sucks just because you have an opinion. We could do the same to you. Grow up.

#29 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(Alison @ Oct 3 2011, 03:07 AM) View Post

I deny that. Some of them are, some of them aren't.
It's not cool to just call shots s***. I could have called any of the other shots s*** and you'd have freaked out. A shot is a shot, whether you like it or not.

I've been submitting "joke shots" since before Rover was born.
Please tell me one way this is "stupid." "Normal" screens are stupider than any of these half the time in my opinion.

Everybody: Stop dismissing these screens as being s*** without any criticism towards them. If you don't like them that's your opinion, but you don't have to go around and call us stupid and say our stuff sucks just because you have an opinion. We could do the same to you. Grow up.
Gotta admit folks, he is making a very good point.

If we had called any other 'serious' shots 's***s', I'm pretty sure people would have been up in arms about it (and rightfully so). I don't really care if you like my shot or not, I made it for fun, I'll admit, but if you find yourself actually offended by a bunch of pixels in an image, then I'm sorry it offended you, wasn't my intention. Can we please just... you know, just accept the fact that none of us did this to make anyone else feel bad, but that is what you're doing when you're calling our perfectly legit screenshot of the week contenders 's***'. I'd be very happy if we could just stop doing that and instead just give out proper, serious criticism instead? Some people seem to be able to, so why shouldn't you (you, being anyone who has not been able to do so)?

#30 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Think the only people doing wrong here are those telling others what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users