Photo

Map of the Month 105

Phosphor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 105 (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favourite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

Firstly, happy new year everyone! Hoping you all will have a great 2019! Now on to the contest, we have 3 entries this month.

Joelmacool

A little something I made in a few days, I hope you guys like it!

Phosphor

Welcome to Farona Village, a small settlement nestled away within Faron Woods along the banks of the Floria River. Villagers are warned to never enter the abandoned fortress immediately north of them. It's spooky or something.

HeroOfFire

A reference to where it all started.

In addition, Map of the Year will be coming shortly. Stay tuned for that :P

• Anthus, Jared, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

HoF is nice, but cannot compete against the other two.

Joel's map is beautiful, and most of the credit can be given to the palette choices, however there are some aspects to the GBA set that encourages design techniques I'm not a lover of, most specifically the big fat grey ugly looking walls that surround the town. I get that they are necessary, but this is more of a flaw with the GBA tileset than it is with Joel's talent at designing maps. My vote goes to Phosphor because of the sheer amount of attention to detail and the finer crafting of his map, even if the palette is kinda drab. 

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

I think you meant GBC there. GBA would fall under graphics like the Minish Cap & Four Swords :P

#4 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

Joelmacool - The map looks great, especially with the varying palettes of each area. My biggest concerns were already addressed by NewJourneysFire, though I'd like to add that the lack of NPCs standing around town makes it seem a bit like a ghost town. Maybe they're FFCs and don't show up in ZQ's map viewer? I honestly don't know. I'd assume that there aren't any because of how narrow the alleyways are between the houses, leaving no room for anyone to stand. These are just nitpicks, so they don't matter too much.

Phosphor - Wow that map is ugly.

HeroOfFire - A very nice map, though the limitations of classic-style dungeon design is showing. A lot of the rooms feel a little samey and the blue lava just looks weird. Additionally, the perspective with the raised item areas (like in the triforce room and bow room) feel off. Perhaps it's just a limitation of the tileset. Lastly, the contrast between the white colors of the wall and outlines of everything else seem too stark. I'd recommend changing the black to a dark grey and see how that looks.

#5 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

Joelmacool - The map looks great, especially with the varying palettes of each area. My biggest concerns were already addressed by NewJourneysFire, though I'd like to add that the lack of NPCs standing around town makes it seem a bit like a ghost town. Maybe they're FFCs and don't show up in ZQ's map viewer? I honestly don't know. I'd assume that there aren't any because of how narrow the alleyways are between the houses, leaving no room for anyone to stand. These are just nitpicks, so they don't matter too much.

This map is actually really outdated. I've added a lot more NPCs around the world, including the towns to the far north-east and the main town to the south-west.

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

Congrats to Phosphor for winning this contest!

Results:

Joelmacool (10 votes [34.48%])
Phosphor (18 votes [62.07%])
HeroOfFire (1 votes [3.45%])

Next contest will be up shortly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Phosphor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users