Hal's Great Cave Offensive

Photo

HGCO Update #1: What is behind the doors? (Doors + Magic Meter)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:11 AM

8JiXAtR.png
Remember these doors? Well I am glad to tell you all that I've elected to script all the doors in this quest from scratch, right down to the very last bombable wall, to make them fit in more with the Metroidvania style of gameplay this quest will offer. As a result, this has given me a lot more freedom on how I handle the doors in the quest. However, they are still restricted to being on the edges of the screens.
The door system has the following features, which I've managed to incorporate as a result of the increased freedom:

• Shutter doors - Remain closed until enemies and/or secrets are triggered. If you enter a screen behind one and they are about to close, the game pushes the player out of it before the shutter closes like they do in Zelda games. Still a work in process.
  • Doors that require Arrows to open, which must be shot at from the front.
  • Bombable walls.
  • Wherever said door changes are permanent or temporary. Though the only changes that will be temporary will be shutter doors.
  • The ability to affect adjacent screens. Say you have a bomb wall on one screen and you blow it up, the bomb wall on the other side of said wall on an adjacent screen may also be blown up.
  • All of the above without using screen secrets or carryovers specifically for them.
  • And more :)

There is also some very good news regarding the state of these doors - the script is nearly complete. After I work out the complications of pushing the player out from behind shutter doors before they shut should he enter the screen behind them, I foresee that it would be simple afterwards.

I6t7BoP.png
Hey, I am showing you this subscreen again (though it is a bit outdated :shrug:). This time, it is relevant due to one feature exhibited: The Magic Meter at the bottom of the passive section of the subscreen.
U8DMpsZ.pngNsi5IgC.png

The quest features Magic Crystals. Replacing the Magic Meter (which has been turned into the Energy gauge here), these provide power for some of the weapons Hal comes across as well as being able to perform other functions like being able to used to provide a free Energy refill. As shown by the subscreen, Hal doesn't start off with any and he can obtain up to 8 during his adventure. The script for displaying them now fully up and running.
As for means of obtaining them; Containers can be obtained through exploring the world while the Crystals themselves are dropped from enemies. The droprate varies from enemy to enemy, but tougher enemies are more likely to drop them as opposed to weaker enemies. Magical enemies also have a higher chance of dropping them too and some are even guaranteed to drop one per kill, to make them easier to obtain without resorting to the RNG to grind them.

Edited by Orithan, 22 January 2015 - 05:22 AM.

• Shane, Eddy, Jared and 2 others like this

#2 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

This is friggin awesome. Can't wait for the demo! Any thoughts of when that will be released?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users