Photo

Screenshot of the Week 418

JJ83 Goriya Linkus Orin XD Shane

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 418 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

JJ83
JJ83.jpg
The Majestic Sky Temple!

Goriya
Goriya.png
Octorocks and Eyeballs?!...oh well, they act the same. >.>

Linkus
Linkus.png
*Gasp* Someone's actually farming fields on a field-designated map? CALL THE ILLOGIC POLICE!

Orin XD
Orin%20XD.png
Just because this is going to be in Screenshot: Challenge Accepted doesn't mean that I can't post this in Screenshot of the Week.

Shane
Shane.png
Amay Village

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

The only ones I could really get into were Goriya, Orin XD's, and Shane's.

The other ones look like they were built just to win a contest. not for a quest. 

I voted for Orin though.

#3 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

I really wish I could give half a vote to both JJ83 and Linkus, because their shots both succeed in completely different ways. JJ83 goes for a bold concept and pulls it off creatively in NES graphics. Linkus presents another beautifully composed screen that's functional at the same time.

I don't know how I can choose. I'll pick somebody before week's end, but it's not going to be tonight.

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Linkus; quest or not. It's a screenshot contest after all.

#5 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

The other ones look like they were built just to win a contest. not for a quest. 

I voted for Orin though.

I'm just showing my screens for the sake of doing so.  Don't care whether I win or not.  I just like to hear people's comments & critiques.  It spurs me to do better and make my quest more appealing.  

With that being said, I gotta say I like Shane's shot a lot.  Very well put together.  

Edited by JJ83, 15 July 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#6 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

This was an okay SotW. Personally, I would have voted for Linkus if I haven't entered. The other contender was Shane, but Linkus actually brought something new to the table and it worked well. JJ83's shot, while bringing something new, suffered horribly from poor execution because the temple entrance really clashes with the land at the bottom, partly because of the clouds on the top and bottom of the temple. Try using modified shallow water combos in place of the clouds you have there to simulate them without the massive style clash.

I voted for Orin though.

I see no vote on my shot. You might wanna fix that if you said that you voted for me.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Yikes, a tough choice between Linkus and Shane. I ended up going with Linkus. The charm of that screen is what give it the advantage.

#8 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

I'm casting one in for Shane on this one. Damn, if only I could vote for JJ, too.

• Shane likes this

#9 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'd like JJ83's shot if those three larger pillars weren't disorienting in the sense that I can't tell if they're curved outwards (towards you) or inwards (away from you). Some edits to the perspective on the pillars so that one could tell would fix the shot for me.

Goriya's nice, but a little standard.

For Linkus, it's the dirt on the right side and the top-left that throws me off. Everything else about the picture is smooth, and suddenly, there's this clashing rough dirt that just interferes with the flow of the picture. If it weren't for that, I probably would've voted for this one.

I like the feel of Orin's, but that mountain taking up the entire right side of the screen makes only about 2/3rds of the screen appealing.

Voted for Shane's, has calming mood, nothing wrong with, and just a nicely balanced screen. I'd wanna live in that village.

• Shane likes this

#10 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

JJ83's shot, while bringing something new, suffered horribly from poor execution because the temple entrance really clashes with the land at the bottom, partly because of the clouds on the top and bottom of the temple. Try using modified shallow water combos in place of the clouds you have there to simulate them without the massive style clash.

I could see about fixing the bottom sky row and making it into a shallow water pond of some sort so that the clashing won't be an issue.  I suppose it does look kinda strange having sky under and over the temple.  I was trying to go for a "floaty" feel.  lol

I'd like JJ83's shot if those three larger pillars weren't disorienting in the sense that I can't tell if they're curved outwards (towards you) or inwards (away from you). Some edits to the perspective on the pillars so that one could tell would fix the shot for me.

Any suggestions on how I could fix that?  I would like to try but I honestly don't have a clue atm.  xD

#11 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

JJ83

Oy. I can see what you did here, or at least try to do, but arrangement of the tiles don't work entirely with the perspective. Something this large really can't have the depth of a piece of cardboard; If you give it more of a ceiling and use less tiles designated for a sideview perspective, it might work. I know the ruins in Z1 were also flat, but the size of them didn't make it so apparent.

Goriya

It's a good start, but the mountain tearing through the screen like this breaks the screen's balance. Cliff tiles - Specially the GB ones - tend to be kept at the screen's or area's edges, as poorly-placed ones tend to break the flow of the design. Also, the fact that the elevation is kept consistent at two elevations doesn't help, and perhaps if there were multiple elevations in this screen, it would help even out the sharp change in the cliffs.

Linkus

Its-a me!*

I voted for Orin though.

Well, it is a screen in a quest, I didn't just build this for kicks. I take my time with map-making and try to avoid creating what I call "filler screens"; nothing frustrates a player when they have to walk through so many screens to get from point A to point B in the most indirect and monotonously difficult way possible; and as a result, I don't intend to make everything big in this quest. Instead, I will be aiming for practical and somewhat logical dungeon designs and purposeful lands. It may be a slow process, but my philosophy is that for the sake of time, atmosphere, and backstory, a screen needs to serve multiple purposes, and not just something that's between A, B, C, D, and so on.

Orin XD

The left half is pretty good, but the right half concerns me. GB mountains aren't good for steep cliffs such as what you've got, and it can start feeling like a waste of space to some players. Also, it's not often that you see a cheese wheel floating down a stream...

Shane

If I had not entered this SotW my vote would go here. It's a well-balanced screen that keeps within the capabilities of the GB set and has an all-around great layout.

*may not actually be me

• Shane likes this

#12 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

JJ83

Oy. I can see what you did here, or at least try to do, but arrangement of the tiles don't work entirely with the perspective. Something this large really can't have the depth of a piece of cardboard; If you give it more of a ceiling and use less tiles designated for a sideview perspective, it might work. I know the ruins in Z1 were also flat, but the size of them didn't make it so apparent.

I sorta understand what your trying to say.  I could try to give the Temple a bit more "background" with more ceiling.  I still want to keep some of the sky but I'll try to create room for more of the structure so it looks less like a FLAT building.

I do like the critiques whether harsh, helpful or generous...I want to be beast with classic.  xD

#13 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I sorta understand what your trying to say.  I could try to give the Temple a bit more "background" with more ceiling.  I still want to keep some of the sky but I'll try to create room for more of the structure so it looks less like a FLAT building.

I do like the critiques whether harsh, helpful or generous...I want to be beast with classic.  xD

May I make a suggeston?

Perhaps you should try making a teleportation platform here that activates when you shoot an arrow at a certain item. From there, it takes to you a platform in the sky, which has a walkway up to the temple in the sky. You might lose your facade in this screen, but it would be more effective perspective-wise and you'd still be under the impression that the temple is high above in the sky. After all, as it is now, that is one of the strongest staircases I have ever seen - It's supporting the weight of a whole temple by itself! Whoever planned the construction of the Forest Temple should've contracted that guy...

#14 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

Any suggestions on how I could fix that?  I would like to try but I honestly don't have a clue atm.  xD

Alright, I'm looking at the smaller pillars, and the shadows seem to be more on the left side, whereas on the big pillars, it's split evenly down the middle. Try shifting the darker parts more to the left, it should help the perspective issue out while also being in line with the other shadows.

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Voted for JJ83. Despite its flaws, it blew me away with its creativity and wouldn't look out of place in a NES game. Everything else lacked originality - the same few screens we've been seeing every week for 10 years.

• Jenny likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: JJ83, Goriya, Linkus, Orin XD, Shane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users