Photo

Anyone into comic book and graphic novels?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

I know there have been threads made before regarding books in general, but I don't know if there has ever been a thread made specifically about comic books and graphic novels.

For me myself, I'm more of a graphic novel type of person because I always felt that comic books were too thin and easy to accidently rip and tear.

Strangely enough I didnt get into reading graphic novels for a while. It wasn't until I picked up Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Cosmic Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis. This was shortly after having seen the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Little did I know at the time that this would lead me to collecting nearly every mainline Guardians of the Galaxy graphic novel. So yeah, I guess I have James Gunn to thank for getting me into this.

The Dan Abnett lineup of GotG is in my opinion the best arc, though it is stylistically quite different from the later novels and the movies. As in, if Dan Abnett's novels were tuned to a soundtrack, it would be a metal one instead of a pop soundtrack like the movies. They just feel THAT gritty.

Other than GotG, I've read Watchmen and V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, both of which are very well done both in art direction and storytelling.
I read two volumes of Suicide Squad shortly before the movie came to theatres. There was a lot of hype surrounding the movie and people saying that it was going to be like DC's equivelent of GotG. Sadly, I never became a huge fan of this series because I found the characters hard to sympathize with. Also, the movie was mediocre at best.
I've read several volumes of the Dark Tower graphic novels because I really liked the books. What's nice about the graphic novels is that, while they do recap the books, they also reveal some new tidbits of lore, so they complement the books in an interesting way.
Earlier this year I read Neil Gaiman's run of the Eternals. While it's got a lot of interesting cosmic stuff going on, I didn't really connect with the characters and I am very skeptical about how Marvel Studios is going to turn this otherwise obscure franchise into a big hit.
And recently I ordered the first volume of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, so I should be getting that in the mail any day now. I've been watching clips from the TV series and it looks like the kind of surreal thing that I'd be into, so I'm assuming that I'm going to really like it.

So what about you guys? Anybody else into this kind of stuff?
  • Lightwulf likes this

#2 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

I am currently reading 'Daytripper' and very much enjoying it. I like the wacky colorful stuff that IMAGE puts out like 'SAGA' or 'EAST of WEST'. I'd recommend reading the old Alan Moore 'Swamp Thing' series and 'Y: The Last Man'. If you like Neil Gaiman, you may want to look into 'Sandman', which I keep meaning to read, but never get to... I've heard good things. I also thoroughly enjoyed an obscure comic called 'Starman' about the son/grandson of a golden age superhero who just wants to run a pawn shop when he discovers the super-stuff in an old box and gets suddenly attacked by supervillains.

The Watchmen was a great one. I second that if someones wants to get into the genre.

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:43 PM

I wouldn't say I'm 'into' graphic novels as such, but I have a few on my bookcase. I have the 'Chasing Tail' and 'Storytailer' Rocket Raccoon graphic novels (I was similarly influenced by the GotG movie), and the 'Worlds Collide' Sonic/Mega Man crossover story. I understand that Archie was releasing the sequel story in graphic novel form sometime before it lost the rights to the characters, but I don't know if they managed to release the whole story in that manner before then.

In regards to graphic novels based on actual novels, I have the 'Guards! Guards' book, based on the Discworld story, which has some fun illustrations (particularly Errol the swamp dragon).

As I said, it's not something I go out of my way to collect, but I quite like them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users