Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#136 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:25 AM

I'm actually worried that JJ is doing ep 9. He did 7 which was awful, then Rian Johnson did 8 which was great (I don't care what the pedants say), now we're back to JJ who'll probably fan-service it up again. Bleh.

Lol, totally called it. Stupid JJ...
  • Rambly, Colin and The Satellite like this

#137 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:58 AM

Jesus Christ, episode 9 was fucking awful - hands down the worst in the franchise.

I used to wonder whether IX or Attack of the Clones deserves that honor, but now I definitely say that it's IX because Attack of the Clones at least plays into a bigger picture. Parts of it frustrate the hell out of me but the entire subplot of Kenobi sleuthing around is some of the best Star Wars on film. Hell, memetic as the scene following it is, the Tusken scene with Anakin is effectively done. Movie has some good shit, it's just getting around the horrible beginning and basically the entire Anakin/Padme subplot.

Hell, I think IX has glowing moments too, it's just there are far more problems that hamper the entire experience. The acting isn't insufferable at least, but the writing and plot are just clumsy overall and it does nothing to satisfy... basically anyone. That said, I do know people who thought the film was good, and I'm happy for them. I was just hoping for more followup to The Last Jedi's plotlines. Like, for one, not taking the moment where Kylo Ren overcoming and rising above his shriveled old master and then completely reverse it by shoving him into the command of another one. He should have been the big bad just like the film set him up to be.

I've said it several times even before IX had a trailer but my ideal IX would have involved Kylo Ren and General Hux leading separate factions of a fractured First Order, since the two have clearly always at best tolerated each other. Said fracturing is what gives the Resistance the opportunity they need to regroup and strike back. Hell, for a twist on things, you could have had Kylo defeated first, then turn towards Hux's faction as the true final boss. I don't feel like I expended much effort on this idea and yet I still think it's a better movie than what we ended up with.

But alas.

I don't even want them to erase the sequel trilogy or retcon it into an alternate timeline or whatever the fan theories are. I don't think Dave Filoni would even want to do that unless mandated. He's too humble. He had every opportunity to retcon a minor character from Return of the Jedi into a character from Rebels when their coincidental similarities were pointed out, but chose not to as he didn't want to erase the previous character despite how minor they were. I digress, the point is, I would rather they just continue around this framework and build a good universe around it. Isn't that basically what happened with Clone Wars in regards to the prequels? I'm all for that.

(Final addendum: I don't really count the Clone Wars film in discussions of "worst Star Wars film" because it was never made for theaters, it was repackaged as such for marketing purposes. If it counted, then sure, that one, though the show itself does get a lot better for the most part.)

• Rambly likes this

#138 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:48 AM

I know those people too - it boggles my mind. I think I saw it opening night, or the next day, and my sister was going later. She was excited because her friend told her it was awesome. I just smiled and nodded as my heart sank, not wanting to influence her perception too much... meanwhile I'm STILL not over how terrible it was.

Looking at how routinely awful film-by-committee movies are it's a marvel (pun intended) that Marvel managed to pump out movies that were average at worst and legitimately great at best. I guess they had faith in their creators to actually create something worthwhile?
  • Rambly and The Satellite like this

#139 Ghost

Ghost

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:49 PM

I enjoyed the film

• The Satellite likes this

#140 Twilight Hero

Twilight Hero

Heir to the Hero

• Members

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:23 PM

Hi. I'm from the future. The Last Jedi did indeed kill Luke Skywalker, as well as the Star Wars Franchise (according to some people) The Sequel Trilogy failed to deliver. However, Mandolorian and CW Season 7 exist, so we still have hope. ;)

#141 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 March 2021 - 01:15 AM

The Last Jedi did indeed kill ... the Star Wars Franchise (according to some people)

Those people were always kidding themselves and still are.

• Rambly likes this

#142 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:00 AM

I finally watched The Rise of Skywalker properly for the first time.

Spoiler

So yeah!  Didn't like it too much!

This movie is turning me into a fucking Sith.  I like the goddamned prequels in spite of their flaws, and even I thought this was putrid, audience-insulting garbage.

If you liked The Rise of Skywalker, you have brain worms.  Try seeing more than 3 movies and developing an actual taste.  The Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't count because all MCU films are artless hackfest, regurgitated ersatz porridge-slop drooling from the gaping hellmaw of Disney™®.  Just like this one.

• Mani Kanina and Deedee like this

#143 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:11 AM

If you liked The Rise of Skywalker, you have brain worms.  Try seeing more than 3 movies and developing an actual taste.  The Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't count because all MCU films are artless hackfest, regurgitated ersatz porridge-slop drooling from the gaping hellmaw of Disney™®.  Just like this one.

Hey now, the MCU actually has originality and character, unlike this.

• Rambly likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users